NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
theparkcrescent-ext.jpg

Although this would have been it had it not closed down

a12f843a549eb43457bfee468d17171b.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Soon from Camden to this............... Is it any good or are there better nearby ? please help a thirsty drinker with info ?

Attachments

• f6bb09aaa5d09d3b46ed62d4c9da12e2.jpg
    f6bb09aaa5d09d3b46ed62d4c9da12e2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 348

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Soon from Camden to this............... Is it any good or are there better nearby ? please help a thirsty drinker with info ?

I used to use the Hartington a lot years ago. I understand its gone a bit groovy now since Pete sold up and moved to Spain to play golf like all good old school publicans.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
I've decided to change my local from the Farm Tavern to the Bow Street Runner, because even though I can hit the FT with a stone from my home the BSR has more character. So, this is where I'll be headed straightaway when I come home next, isn't it lovely?

ea501467ea8bd25aaee9e81cddccdcc9.jpg

good job you did seeing as the farm tavern is closed now!!!

My local.

Apparently the only pub in Brighton still to hold its original name

pub_old_pic.jpg

home_photos.jpg

I think you'll find that is not true, the pub I grew up in was called The Sir Charles Napier when it was built and is still called it now.
I think you'll find plenty of pubs in Brighton and Hove with their original names.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I think you'll find that is not true, the pub I grew up in was called The Sir Charles Napier when it was built and is still called it now.
I think you'll find plenty of pubs in Brighton and Hove with their original names.

Found the fact out while looking for a photo of it. - Have no idea if true or not but as you said I thought there would have been more that kept their origional name.

http://www.thebearbrighton.co.uk/history.htm

The Bear is unique in many ways in Brighton, and is the only pub in the city to still hold its original name.

It was once called the Bear Inn and offered accomodation for weary travellers, and at one point the pub even provided a barn to put your horse and carriage up for the night!

There have been many changes to The Bear over the past years, inluding various windows and doors being blocked up. It was once two bars - a private and a public bar - and its unique U-shaped bar is still in use today.

The pub gets its name from years ago, when there was bear-fighting on the land; the grizzly beasts were pitted against badgers, foxes and dogs for sport!

Previous landlords have indicated that dogs will not go down into the cellar for fearing a presence in there... but this has not been proven by the current landlords as yet.

The picture on this page dates the pub back to the early 1900s, but other records date the pub back further still.

Check back for some other photos of the pub and more info as and when it gets discovered.

Found the fact out while looking for a photo of it. - Have no idea if true or not but as you said I thought there would have been more that kept their origional name.

http://www.thebearbrighton.co.uk/history.htm

Being a pedant hasn't it changed its name? It was originally called the Bear Inn and is now called The Bear.

I can categorically state that The Sir Charles Napier has always been called The Sir Charles Napier, so I think The Bear's website is telling a few porkies don't you?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
They used to have the FITTEST barmaids Ive ever seen in there!

How long ago are you thinking? My mate went out with one who worked there about 7/8 years ago. Turned out to be a bit of a psycho! :laugh:

The above quote is referring to the Bull in Ditchling BTW and the pic is my current local (though not quite the closest, which is the Freemasons)

Attachments

• Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
What about The Connaught?

The Connaught is currently shut for a refurb - it's been taken over by Martin Webb (sold his share in the C-Side chain for millions) and will be run by the manager of my current local, so she's sadly leaving the Robin Hood.

Should provide some competition for the Foragers - will be qiute foody by all accounts.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
All the Lewes pubs on here remind me of my college days... Might have to jump on the train for a pub crawl to roll back the years...

Is the Elly still the place to be on a Friday night?! ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here