Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible bad news for a B777 [Malaysian MH370]

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Maybe there was something wrong with the GPS system, where it got north and south mixed up, and that explains the bizarre route.

Beijing Airport coordinates are 40.0800° North, 116.5844° East.

Southwest of Perth, Australia (where the they are currently searching for wreckage) is 40.0800° South, 116.5844° East

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why do you want all this stuff to be true mate?
Good question. This particular story is new, and he'd believe any one of several conspiracy theories, rather than anything else.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe there was something wrong with the GPS system, where it got north and south mixed up, and that explains the bizarre route.

Beijing Airport coordinates are 40.0800° North, 116.5844° East.

Southwest of Perth, Australia (where the they are currently searching for wreckage) is 40.0800° South, 116.5844° East

Horrendous disorientation has happened before, but that would require both pilots to have been extremely inattentive to flight time amongst other things.

Also, the plane wouldn't just turn off on reaching its destination, its not a cheap satnav!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a lot of hostility regarding Australia's policy towards boat people in the region at the moment. If the debris turns out to be from the missing plane, its maybe not inconceivable that there might have been an intended 9/11-style attack on Perth?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

did you check? no dice, its close but 116.5844 is due south of perth. the area they are searching is to the west, about 40 S 96 E (at a reckoning off google maps)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a lot of hostility regarding Australia's policy towards boat people in the region at the moment. If the debris turns out to be from the missing plane, its maybe not inconceivable that there might have been an intended 9/11-style attack on Perth?

If there were any survivors, the Australians will presumably lock them up in one of their Polynesian detention camps.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It can't drift THAT far though, surely? It makes sense for it to be there in terms of it being bang on the 'southern arc' they have been searching based on the satellite data, but it's at the very furthest point it could have reached, suggesting it flew until it ran out of fuel.

I've copied this from the bbc report.
Oceanographers here in Western Australia believe that if the debris is from the Malaysia airlines flight it probably crashed about 300-400km to the west due to prevailing currents. The search stretches across 7.7 million sq km - an area larger than the entire landmass of Australia.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
OK thanks. So that's about 30 minutes' flying time away, which isn't a lot in comparison to the search area. Although it's looking more likely the pilot is to blame, I still can't think of an answer to WHY he took it where he did? If something had gone wrong it wouldn't have flown for seven hours with everyone still on board, and if he'd wanted to crash why did he wait all that time and take it to the middle of the ocean?

I think he changed course and the climbed to an altitude that would kill everybody as suggested earlier and while doing so put auto pilot on for the hardest place to locate survivors possible. If his wife did indeed leave him as also suggested it is one hell of a guilt trip he laid at her door.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
why would he want to be alive for the next seven hours? Because we know they didn't fly that high for long.

I would go along the lines of.... Suicide is a thing thousands of people think of daily, and usually it is what I would say is a feck it moment, when you just go for it. We see and hear of suicide attempts by people that say stand on a bridge but don't jump, it's that feck it moment.... He may have taken off fairly ok, a comment here a comment there a moment of reflection and realisation he won't see his children again as a father in a happy home and bang I'm doing this.... I don't think he set off to do it, he just thought feck it and with his extensive knowledge carried it out with perfection, the are they alive are they dead the agony of his wife not knowing and the guilt she would feel would give him one final feck you I am important and have power over you....

Maybe I am a bit mad myself for thinking this way myself, but I feel we all think similar when we are hurt.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I would go along the lines of.... Suicide is a thing thousands of people think of daily, and usually it is what I would say is a feck it moment, when you just go for it. We see and hear of suicide attempts by people that say stand on a bridge but don't jump, it's that feck it moment.... He may have taken off fairly ok, a comment here a comment there a moment of reflection and realisation he won't see his children again as a father in a happy home and bang I'm doing this.... I don't think he set off to do it, he just thought feck it and with his extensive knowledge carried it out with perfection, the are they alive are they dead the agony of his wife not knowing and the guilt she would feel would give him one final feck you I am important and have power over you....

Maybe I am a bit mad myself for thinking this way myself, but I feel we all think similar when we are hurt.

Think you've nailed it there.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is probably the scenario I'd back too, I'm certainly believing that the reason they went to 45,000ft was so that he didn't have the passengers trying to bash the cockpit door in, but if he's prepared to take the lives of 238 other people on the plane, why not take a few more out on the ground with a spectacular crash into a landmark or in a city? And if he survived the climb to 45,000ft by using the special pilot's oxygen supply, why would he want to be alive for the next seven hours? Because we know they didn't fly that high for long.

If this is what happened - or something broadly similar - and so far as theories go it is as plausible as any other at the moment, how do you suppose he incapacitated the co-pilot, whom I sure didn't intend to die that day? A fight on the flight deck? Or maybe he locked him in the main passenger cabin? Or did he somehow get him to buy into the whole thing and he became a willing partner in certain infamy?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If this is what happened - or something broadly similar - and so far as theories go it is as plausible as any other at the moment, how do you suppose he incapacitated the co-pilot, whom I sure didn't intend to die that day? A fight on the flight deck? Or maybe he locked him in the main passenger cabin? Or did he somehow get him to buy into the whole thing and he became a willing partner in certain infamy?

He went for a piss and got locked out of the cabin. Simples

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't go along with the theory you guys are talking about - the Pilot had no problems in his life that are known, was about to marry a very attractive lady after a long relationship. I know people can often hide things but I truly do not think this was done deliberately, maybe it was but at this stage I wouldn't personally accuse the pilot of such an atrocity at this stage.

I'm not sure what happened obviously but for someone to be that callous about a thing like suicide, that is normally done to escape life, why would he want to prolong his own agony and kill hundreds of others? He must have been an extremely mentally strong(to stick with it throughout the whole thing and not change his mind) and Ill person to kill himself in this way.

Edit: got pilot & co-pilot confused.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You're getting them confused. The pilot (53 years old) had been dumped by his wife the day before the flight, and she'd moved their kids out the family home. See the link I posted to the Daily Mirror on the last page for the details. The guy you're talking about is the co-pilot (27 years old), who was the one due to marry the fit girl, and the one we're thinking was probably not involved.
Ah yes apologies. Still, quite something to accuse the pilot of though he must have been very mentally strong to go through with something like that. Although to be honest, it looks as likely as anything at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here