Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Today (Everton)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Had a little gander on the grand old team forum and saw some laughable comments about the way we play being boring to watch each week. OK we weren't at our best today but christ it's not easy to find an opening when a team sits so deep (at home too ffs). Not to mention the fact we're 4th top goalscorers in the league - we cant be that dull to watch every week.

Very very rich from Everton fans anyway considering how shit they've been for years and how much money they've spent in the process of remaining so shit. A club the size of Everton should not be settling for Sean Dyche as manager long term - all round embarrassing really
From what I’ve read, you’d think they were playing 2008 Barcelona. Not a side that nearly went out of business a couple of decades ago, that has injuries galore whilst managing European football, a ton of new players they’re trying to bed in, all whilst replacing their best 2 players…

In many ways it shows how far we’ve come and just how far Everton have fallen. But they lacked all the context - the disallowed Dunk goal which is highly debatable, the lucky deflection for their goal etc.

How you can watch that Everton team sit behind the ball for 89 minutes and then have the nerve to complain about the opposition being boring when trying to break you down is beyond me.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Had a little gander on the grand old team forum and saw some laughable comments about the way we play being boring to watch each week. OK we weren't at our best today but christ it's not easy to find an opening when a team sits so deep (at home too ffs). Not to mention the fact we're 4th top goalscorers in the league - we cant be that dull to watch every week.

Very very rich from Everton fans anyway considering how shit they've been for years and how much money they've spent in the process of remaining so shit. A club the size of Everton should not be settling for Sean Dyche as manager long term - all round embarrassing really
Was there anyone on the Everton forum saying how embarrassed they were at having only 20% possession as the home team?

Was there anyone on the Everton forum saying how embarrassed they were at having only 20% possession as the home team?
I did walk past one Everton fella outside the ground who did indeed seem to be perturbed that we had all the ball and was earnestly telling his mate the draw was hardly a shock. It’s a sign that they were way, way, way more pissed off with the game than us

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
From what I’ve read, you’d think they were playing 2008 Barcelona. Not a side that nearly went out of business a couple of decades ago, that has injuries galore whilst managing European football, a ton of new players they’re trying to bed in, all whilst replacing their best 2 players…

In many ways it shows how far we’ve come and just how far Everton have fallen. But they lacked all the context - the disallowed Dunk goal which is highly debatable, the lucky deflection for their goal etc.

How you can watch that Everton team sit behind the ball for 89 minutes and then have the nerve to complain about the opposition being boring when trying to break you down is beyond me.
To add more context- the fact that we would've been far more wary of the counter yesterday after the 1-5 at the end of last season - I'm sure made us more cautious of forcing the ball, etc.

To hear Dyche talking about 'tactical' decisions he made to keep us at bay is laughable. We'll done Sean for employing the tactics of 11 men behind the ball and lump it forwards, at home. Tactical genius! 👌

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Positives?

Personally, a top away day with a Saturday 3pm start and some very funny stuff occurred from time to time. Don’t feel I’ve wasted a penny. Yesterday was what a day out at footy should be.

As a team? Milner much better, no other injuries except the reported Lamptey one, draw away is a result I’ll always take, Dunk immense again (and gave his shirt to Mighty Fin at the end).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We came away with a point having never looked like scoring (other than Dunk’s fabulous disallowed goal) and for once we had some luck with a deflection which kind of made up for being cheated by Oliver and VAR again. Nearly five mins to come to the conclusion the on field decision was a clear and obvious error? Bollox.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
You honestly think Gilmour has been excellent this season? I would say positively average.

Dahoud is new to the team and learning RDZ football but to me has already shown he is going to be quality and will be a definite upgrade on WBG when he’s fully up to speed.

I’m not sure what Dahoud has done yet to show he’s an upgrade tbh? He’s had some pretty solid games when he’s been on, don’t get me wrong he’s starting to look better, but he hasn’t been all that great so far.

Gilmour has been pretty good imo. He’s managed to rack up at least 4 assists I can think of (maybe more I’ve missed), has been good at passing through the lines to create good opportunities. So far he’s looked the better player to me.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We came away with a point having never looked like scoring (other than Dunk’s fabulous disallowed goal) and for once we had some luck with a deflection which kind of made up for being cheated by Oliver and VAR again. Nearly five mins to come to the conclusion the on field decision was a clear and obvious error? Bollox.
Clear and obvious error doesn't apply to offside. It's either offside or it isn't. In this case it almost certainly wasn't but VAR somehow managed to draw lines in the wrong place on the wrong frame to say that it was.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Having seen the highlights I thought we were quite lucky to avoid giving a penalty away to be honest. The Veltman one was just about outside but the JPVH on Calvert-Lewin could easily have been given and wouldn’t have been overturned by VAR. We also got away with a lucky few kick which if the ref had played advantage as he should have done their player was clean through one on one.

I’m now even more convinced a point was a good result.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My theory is that Gilmour works best in a CM three with pace and power, as he’s deficient in that respect. A playmaker.
Agree with that, I worry about him in a two.

He’s a decent squad player WBG but not a starter for me. I do think he’s a bit over rated on here as he’s a busy player, I just don’t think the most effective.

If we are playing two in midfield, my favoured combination is definitely Gross and Baleba with Dahoud after that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with that, I worry about him in a two.

He’s a decent squad player WBG but not a starter for me. I do think he’s a bit over rated on here as he’s a busy player, I just don’t think the most effective.

If we are playing two in midfield, my favoured combination is definitely Gross and Baleba with Dahoud after that.

Interesting that you and other regular posters are questioning Gilmour a little, I concur. Until now I thought this was a taboo. Games are invariably won or lost in midfield, you often get a feel within minutes based on that battle. Losing MacA and Caicedo was a blow, imho Dahoud and Baleba are the only CM players with the attributes to shield the CB’s and counter attempted bullying.

To me it’s no coincidence that they didn’t start in the big losses to West Ham and Villa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here