Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Popular sports you don't give a rats arse about.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
"Golf is a good walk spoiled." - Mark Twain

Sailing.

Whilst Britannia probably does still rule the waves in the form of Ben Ainslie, it's terminally dull with made-up names for parts of the boat. The boom sounds like more of a noise than a boat section. I don't even want to know what or where the poop deck is on larger vessels, let alone swab the thing. There's about 9 races as part of the Olympics, with someone having the chance to win gold by coming in the top 17th in the last one. Even worse is when one boat just has to finish in front of another particular boat to win. That's when you get the nautical equivalent of someone driving in front of you slowly down a narrow road. You move to the left, they move to the left, you move right, they move right. And so on. Now if there was an outboard motor allowed, you'd have a fighting chance of getting through. But if you hit them, it's your fault. Your penalty? Turn around in a 360 circle before carrying on. Let's be honest, it's not really a sport, but rather more of a hobby for men who are owners of daft-looking hats and have too much money for their own good.

You appear to have a better than average knowledge of sailing, mixed in with some sail racing knowledge. Maybe you need to commit more, for full satisfaction.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Rugby. I just don't get it. I have tried many times over the years to watch England play and have never really joined in with the euphoria when they win ( 2003 WC incl: )

I just don't get it!!!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Women's football seems to be coming up quite a lot. I can live with the outfield players but the goalkeeping!!! It drags the whole sport down to the level of hilarity. Its like putting an 8 yr boy in goal in a mens match.
Most of the female goalies seem incapable of getting off the ground. They lack the core strength in their legs and buttocks to give them the spring needed. Any time an outfield player shoots at goal you think.." thats in "
The sad thing is that women's football has made great strides forward but the standard of goalkeeping hasn't and you can't honestly see it changing. Its not the fault of the girls, its just the way they are made. They are not physically suited to goalkeeping.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Women's football seems to be coming up quite a lot. I can live with the outfield players but the goalkeeping!!! It drags the whole sport down to the level of hilarity. Its like putting an 8 yr boy in goal in a mens match.
Most of the female goalies seem incapable of getting off the ground. They lack the core strength in their legs and buttocks to give them the spring needed. Any time an outfield player shoots at goal you think.." thats in "
The sad thing is that women's football has made great strides forward but the standard of goalkeeping hasn't and you can't honestly see it changing. Its not the fault of the girls, its just the way they are made. They are not physically suited to goalkeeping.

Smaller hands as well probably don't help.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't stand anything that needs a judge. Diving, ice skating, horse dancing etc. Will happily watch tennis, golf & F1 if in the right mood. There are only two proper sports that will make me turn over instantly. One is ice hockey and it's not ice hockey's fault. The passion of the players and fans and just how tough it is are admirable. The puck's just too small for me to follow properly. The other is Rugby League. I really enjoy Union but League is the most boring sport on this planet. 1-2-3-4-5 HOOF. Repeat ad nauseum.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I'm genuinely surprised to see so many cant bear to watch cycling, TDF is an amazing spectacle for me, very tactical, beautiful scenery and history, really respect the athletes particularly on stages like todays "Hell of the North" course. But I guess you do need to have some sort of affinity with the bike.

F1 and motorsport holds absolutely no interest to me

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
As a total sport monkey I will quite frankly watch any sport going with the exception of horse racing. Not sure why as I love auto racing, but horses...meh

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cricket. Mainly because at boarding school in the summer term if you got detention it wasn't one hour in a classroom it was about 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon being made to score the cricket. Put me off for life.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Horse racing, boxing, American football, baseball, boxing, swimming, gymnastics, cycling, rugby league, skiing, squash, motor racing, rallying. Actually easier to name the ones I am interested in. However, if it's the Olympics, or in a computer game, I can probably muster some additional interest.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Horse racing depresses me. A day at the races in Epsom can be fun for the booze and sunshine and posh totty but it mainly conjours up images of twice divorced alcoholics in the corner of some greasy pub pretending to be the "happy maverick" but in reality gambling and drinking away the kid's shoe money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here