Do you want Gus Poyet to stay?

• Yes I want him to stay

Votes: 107 45.9%
  • No I want him to go

Votes: 126 54.1%

• Total voters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No. And that is even with just what we do know from actions and public statements, as opposed to what might yet emerge.

Very sorry it has come to this, he has been arguably best manager for decades and team has played possibly best football ever seen at Brighton - so I don't say it lightly, but enough is enough.

It's gone way beyond what I might want anyway, he can't now stay IMHO.

It is now purely about money and lawyers, how much of a pay-off he gets, or whether the club finds a valid reason to get rid of him without paying him a bean.

Other job offers/escape routes may be factors on the settlement front.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Remember the speech he gave at the awards and dinner and how everyone was saying how inspiring he was and how glad they were he was at the helm? Seems so long ago now...

Anyway, this whole post place episode of Eastenders is ridiculous. He comes and and says he's worried he has taken us as far as he can with the current financial set up, is brutally honest and now the people who were so far up his backside the week before they could taste brylcream have turned into a lynch mob. Apart from the "lack of plan B" I think he's a fantastic manager (highest league position in how many years?) and if he's found innocent of any wrong doing re: breach of contract he will have my full support if he stays.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a bit of a loose term, but I generally agree that he doesn't have a plan B, or doesn't implement it quickly enough. If we go behind in a game, we seriously struggle to break teams down and he doesn't make attacking substitutions (e.g LuaLua) until it's too late. I lost count of the amount of times last season where we were trailing/drawing then LuaLua came on and we looked much more of a threat.
The same LuaLua who failed his medical when he joined us permanently? Poyet had already hinted that he had to use him sparingly because his hamstrings and ankle were not always right. We haven't been privy to the doctor's opinion for every match.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
WTF! He loves this club almost as far off the mark as loves this clud???

I would argue with that, he's made it clear he felt we were the best stepping stone to further his career, but he is very open that he loves any premier club who would employ him more than he loves us!

Ha, odd typo...

But honestly, I think it's always been a balance with Gus. He loves the club but because he's so stubborn and egotistical, balancing his interests with that of the club will always cause problems. I don't know the ins and outs of what's gone on, but all I do know is that he's never lied about his goals. He wants to manage at the top - good for him. The man is a winner who strives for the best. I'd much rather have him in charge than some lower prem/championship manager who we could well end up with.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because he believe he has hit the ceiling with us, if he thinks this is as far we will go without spending money we don't have, then yes. I'd like him to go.

Not sure what you're 'hmm'ing about. 1 winger and a lone, isolated striker is normal? Right

Is it? Plenty of games we should have won, but when teams played deep were in trouble. Charlton at home being the prime example.

I really don't understand this unconditional support for Gus, and anyone to criticise him is thrown the same argument. It's like he's Kim Jong Un, and you're his followers. I know Mustafa would love that comparison.

This season every team could beat every team. The teams from 10th in the league downwards were in a relegation battle until the final couple of games. By getting a draw we got a point at least, which kept us out of that mire.
It isn't unconditional support for Gus but a wider understanding of the football world and this division.
I also think that some of those who expected promotion were so disappointed, that the only way they can cope with the disappointment is to find criticism wherever they can.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The same LuaLua who failed his medical when he joined us permanently? Poyet had already hinted that he had to use him sparingly because his hamstrings and ankle were not always right. We haven't been privy to the doctor's opinion for every match.

It's not just LuaLua, I was using him as an example, but seeing as he started the Palace game at home in the league, I would have thought he could last more than 10 minutes off the bench once in a while. Not coming back from behind in almost two seasons is a shocking statistic and indicates to me we are too defensively minded.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not just LuaLua, I was using him as an example, but seeing as he started the Palace game at home in the league, I would have thought he could last more than 10 minutes off the bench once in a while. Not coming back from behind in almost two seasons is a shocking statistic and indicates to me we are too defensively minded.

We didn't lose a game where we scored first, and Poyet has the 3rd best win ratio in the history of the club. Great statistics which shows that you can use any statistic to argue a point.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Very difficult to understand how people can come down firmly on either side without knowing the full details.

Personally, I lost a lot of my love for Poyet when he defended Suarez. Won't be upset if he leaves, but if he has not done anything wrong, don't see why he should just because a few fans are jumping to conclusions.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not sure what you're 'hmm'ing about. 1 winger and a lone, isolated striker is normal? Right

Spain played with no striker and they wern't too shabby despite their tactic being as far from 'normal' as possible. Why does the tactic need to be 'normal'? He got us 4th. I don't care if he plays 8-2-0. If that get's us in a position as good as 4th then I'm delighted.

If I want normal I'd get in Phil Brown and be excitied by his revolutionary 4-4-2 system where he magically instructs the defender to 'hit it to the big man'.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Depends whether the "internal processes" find that he's done anything wrong.
If yes: he should go.
If no: I'd be happy for him to stay.

but what outcome would you be happier with? That's the point of the poll, probably poorly expressed above

I probably wasn't clear enough:
Whether I want him to go or stay depends on the outcome of the "internal process".
As the British justice system goes by the tenet that you are innocent until proven guilty (a novelty to some NSCers, I know), I'm hoping that he is cleared by the internal process, and that he stays.
If, however, it turns out that he is guilty of something that deserves his dismissal, then he should go.

So, at the moment, my vote is for him to stay. (And my vote is already included in the above count based on that premise.)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Spain played with no striker and they wern't too shabby despite their tactic being as far from 'normal' as possible. Why does the tactic need to be 'normal'? He got us 4th. I don't care if he plays 8-2-0. If that get's us in a position as good as 4th then I'm delighted.

If I want normal I'd get in Phil Brown and be excitied by his revolutionary 4-4-2 system where he magically instructs the defender to 'hit it to the big man'.

As usual your totally wrong, Matt. What we NEED is two ranks of FOUR, with TWO wingers and a BIG MAN UP FRONT. Defenders don't need to pass either so lets get rid of Greer and his silly bollocks and put in a bid for Colin Hawkins. Take a look at Peterborough, Wolves or Bristol City. They got it RIGHT. Whereas GUS and his silly pass the ball around, make space, intelligent football bollocks only managed to get us 4TH. Our highest finish in DECADES.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would rather see us play the Poyet style than more direct football BUT to compare his approach with that of Spain is wrong.

Spain and Barcelona pressure high up the pitch, play with width and move the ball very quickly. They also play passing football at far higher a tempo and the vast majority of touches and passes are made in the midfield in advanced positions, not slowly, along the back four.

To liken the Albion's appoach to Spain etc is just lazy. There are many different types of passing football.

If anything, our approach is more like the style adopted by a lot of Italian sides in the mid 90s. Slow, building from the back, limited numbers of attacking players with the pressure for creativity placed on the shoulders' of a couple of players. Solidity in defence the priority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here