Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Big Picture has just dropped a 1987 season review with Quintin Tarantino and Roger Avery.

To say it's 'film nerdtastic' would be a massive understatement.
This is the podcast that's had its dinner money stolen by film nerds.

Listening to the most recent one now Moonraker and Firefox. It's excellent

And without wishing to start beef, it's like a good version of the Rewatchables

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Listening to the most recent one now Moonraker and Firefox. It's excellent

And without wishing to start beef, it's like a good version of the Rewatchables

No beef here, I only recently got into TBP because I'm such a FennessyFanBoy, plus dropping Kermode & Mayo has freed up some time!
I loves The Rewatchables but sometimes they don't allow 'time to breathe' (not sure if that makes sense).
Whereas TBP is a bit more considered.

That said last week's 'There Will Be Blood' was great and I'm looking forward to this week's as it's Unforgiven, which hopefully I'll watch tonight.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hooked.

Story of an aircraft engineer for Boeing in Washington who hurt his back playing sport and got addicted to prescription painkiller OxyContin and went onto to heroin and bank robbery. OxyContin played a huge part in creating the opioid epidemic in the states.

And then a more lighthearted, The Moon Under The Water. Famous people invent and talk about their ideal pub.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No beef here, I only recently got into TBP because I'm such a FennessyFanBoy, plus dropping Kermode & Mayo has freed up some time!
I loves The Rewatchables but sometimes they don't allow 'time to breathe' (not sure if that makes sense).
Whereas TBP is a bit more considered.

That said last week's 'There Will Be Blood' was great and I'm looking forward to this week's as it's Unforgiven, which hopefully I'll watch tonight.

What was about the Kermode and Mayo that put you off? I'm really enjoying the new stuff

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What was about the Kermode and Mayo that put you off? I'm really enjoying the new stuff

The free hour feels like either adverts, them advertising what's behind the paywall and an interview.
If I'm not engaged in the interview there really isn't much left.

I go right back to their Radio 1 days so switching off my ears wasn't a decision I took lightly.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Still listening to Top Flight Time Machine and finding the Melchester Odyssey particularly funny (the earlier Roy Keane book deep dive too) but needed something to stretch my thinking a bit. Things I've found that I've enjoyed so far:

Memory Palace - possibly my all time favourite podcast. Short (20 minute ish) stories of ordinary people who led extraordinary lives or were part of extraordinary events but are forgotten. If you like history or just stories about people you'll probably enjoy this. There's a bit of a US bias to it but it's no worse for that - it's far from jingoistic and some of the most powerful stories are about US anti-Semitism in the 1930s, homophobia and racism. (There's also a lot of very happy stories - my favourite is about the grandparents of the presenter and things he found when clearing their house that told a story of their early relationship.)

99% invisible - describes itself as about the hidden world of design but it's broader than that. One episode for example tells the story of how duty free came to exist as a concept, how it's led to free ports and reshaped economies and society and led in part to Chinese dominance in manufacturing...and it all started because a guy from a small village in Ireland wanted to show the Irish could do something better than the British. There's a lot of episodes that remind me of those Radio 4 programmes where you think "this won't be any good" but after 5 minutes you're hooked.

Ologies - with Alie Ward every episode looks at a different "ology" and is a real education. Some of the presenting style is a bit twee for my liking but it's easily accessible and some great subjects covered. My only real complaint is that they go on about 20 minutes too long.

Radio Diaries - ordinary people given recording equipment and recording their lives. It's a mix of people talking about the present (eg fourth generation funeral directors talking about COVID), people talking about the past (witnesses to historical events) and sometimes a bit of both (people who recorded themselves many years ago now revisiting themselves and their story). Very occasionally they'll curate archive recordings into a narrative too - like, I dunno, veterans of the US Civil War recorded at the turn of the 20th Century. Can be a bit hit and miss but can also be incredibly compelling.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Mentioned this before but Chart Music is brilliant - a song by song dissection of a top of the pops episode . Usually 6 hours long .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Ringers excellent anthology series Gamblers is back.

Ep 2 & 3 series 2 are about my man Rufus Peabody.

https://www.theringer.com/2022/9/21/23363621/gamblers-super-bowl-props-rufus-peabody-nfl

The similarities between Rufus and what we're led to believe about our own Mr Bloom are so staggering I'd be absolutely amazed if the don't know each other and are perhaps friends.

Ep2, above, is Rufus' life story up to last year's Superbowl.
Ep3, on Wednesday, will go into more detail about how Rufus bet over $1m on analytical 'holes' in the market.

As said it's very Tony Bloom and as always an enjoyable listen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've tried and tried as hard as I can but it's no good:-

My 30(ish) year relationship with Kermode and Mayo has come to an end.

Tis a sad sad day.

Dipped in every so often, but do find it painfully middle class.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: I miss [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] on this thread who always used to recommend some great pods with insightful reviews. Hope to see some more tips from him soon

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know I'm ridiculously late to this, but Football Ramble has become a regular listen for me over the last few months. I don't listen to every show - they put out a fair few over the course of a week - but I listen to most of them.

In related news, that took me to The Like and Pete Show, which is wonderfully random - https://stak.london/shows/the-luke-and-pete-show/

Another "must listen" for me is My First Million, which I guess you'd categorise as a business podcast, but it's funny and entertaining and covers a wide range of subject matter - https://www.mfmpod.com/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As this is here, I'll give another plug for 'Gamblers', in particular, the Richie Sklar episode:-

Don't get too hung up thinking it's not for you cos it's gambling and/or golf.
This is a lovely little anthology of a life well lived.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Football Supporters Association have their awards ceremony in a couple of weeks, where a DULLARD will try to look happy when Rushden and Glendenning win the Best Podcast category yet again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This week's Moon Under Water pod is a bit of a crossover, as the guest is Football Weekly's Barry Glendenning.

It's quite some listen, as it's something of an emotional rollercoaster.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very good new pod with lots of interviews with political and non political figures. Kicks off with Michael Heseltine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here