Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Plucky purchased for 100m

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
£100M doesn't sound very much. I know they haven't exactly got an elite squad of expensive players, but I would wonder if £100M would even buy their first team squad, let alone the whole shebang, seats, roofs, away kits, tea ladies, the lot.
It doesn't seem much but is quite the return on the £850k paid by Demin 11 years ago. Clearly never wanted to invest in the ground or to particularly increase the fanbase so perhaps this is a good deal for what is essentially a project that requires a lot of investment from new owners. Yes, 'Muff are in a good spot but with what long term security?

If Newcastle were bought for £305m and that included a 50,000 seater stadium and a much higher ceiling then maybe £130m is a pretty good deal for Demin.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We need sterling to strengthen considerably against the dollar in order to stem this tide.
Good luck with that in the present circumstances. Maybe TB should be looking for some American investors. He must meet plenty of rich Yanks in Vegas ... although they're probably not quite so rich when he's finished with them.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thats 10 USA. owners. What is to stop 4 more clubs selling to USA and then we have no relegation and ESL voted through. Surely now is time to secure long term future of PL before its to late.
This is where it's heading and it needs to be stopped.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed and it will be interesting to see @El Presidente's comments. I wonder how that would convert to a valuation of that club up the '23.
Asking price is £240-250m. Textor wants out though, and a new owner would have a slight issue that Steve Parish wants to stay as Chairman.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Didn't the Venky's buy Blackburn without realising the 'concept' of relegation?
I always thought that was an urban myth, a bit like the Americans buying London Bridge because they thought they were buying Tower Bridge?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thats 10 USA. owners. What is to stop 4 more clubs selling to USA and then we have no relegation and ESL voted through. Surely now is time to secure long term future of PL before its to late.
I'm not so sure. If there were such a vote, would a club at risk of relegation vote for it - US owners or not? I can't imagine that 'no relegation' would apply immediately (and, if it did, I imagine there'd be swift legal action from the Championship).

I'd also imagine that Sky et al would be less than happy as there'd be fewer competitive games. And what would stop the likes of Bournemouth getting rid of all its players and getting a pub team together? It wouldn't matter if they lost 20-0 every week - they couldn't get relegated and would just rack up the sponds from the broadcasters.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Before any sale went through they should have been made to guarantee investment in the stadium.

And more Americans in the league is a bad thing

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I have to say I don't particularly like some of the things he's said so far.
- Describing himself as a dictator.
- Waiting so he could buy a team and control the destiny of the team. Maybe that's a translation thing, but to me that conjures images of him picking the team).
- He wants to change the fanbase. Nothing wrong with wanting to encourage diversity in your fanbase, but the way he said it sounded like he didn't like the existing fanbase.

He definitely strikes me as someone who would be very happy to change the system to benefit his "franchise", regardless of the impact it would have the football league as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here