Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Please sign this, to help save a 125 year old cricket club from developers. PLEASE.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Aigburth Cricket and Bowls Club, in South Liverpool, is a completely unremarkable, yet to its members, ever so special, local club. It has been there since 1888, and is absolutely integral to the local community, as a sports club, and as a social hub. For four years in the 90s it was the focal point of my sporting and social life, and the place I met some really great people.

After 125 years in existence, it is now under severe threat - the land was bought 6 years ago (from British Rail) by an Isle of Man based 'investment company', who have now served notice on the club, to leave by November.

Seemingly, the eviction can only be enforced if the developers gain planning permission to build on the land. The club are petitioning Liverpool City Council to block that permission. Liverpool has literally THOUSANDS of empty homes. The very idea of building on an essential community asset, and rare piece of valuable green space, is nothing short of a disgrace.

Please, please add your name to the list of signatories. Thank you all.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...tm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/aigburth-cricket-club-liz-mcclarnon-7184694

Good to see you appear to have accepted that you know nothing about football and have turned your attention to cricket none the less petition signed.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Need to hear the sound of 'HOWZAT' as opposed to the sound of cement mixers. SIGNED.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Cheers for bouncing this.

I heard from one of my old friends up there just this week as it goes. (Doesn't add much to what your Echo article says) -

All background stuff been taking place. Meetings with Liverpool Council / Mayor / Local MP / local councillors / Sport England / club solicitor / Barrister Et Al.

We have raised over £7k for our fighting fund & more fund raising planned. We have been advised will need about £10k for the scrap.

Next big date is mid October - we will be putting in formal appeal against the eviction notice.

Barrister advises, probably have a preliminary court hearing pre Christmas followed by court case March / May time.

Everyone is on our side & we are confident of success. However remember OJ Simpson / Oscar Petorious !

Keep in touch

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Signed in virtual blood. There are enough brownfield sites without stamping on 100 years of tradition.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would like to follow up with my own good news. Having started playing the great game again I reached double figures with the bat for two consecutive weeks...

13 and 11.

Small acorns...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here