Please settle an argument......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
boe-c-front.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mother, when she was with us, always gave Premium Bonds as presents on the thinking that £10 might gain a lot more but I think that you can only buy them in £100 batches now. Could have bought £10 of lottery tickets to try for the same but if you dont win money is gone not like Premium Bonds.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
There is no right answer as it all depends on your personal circumstances. Where you may think £50 is enough, someone else may think its too little and another person may think it's too much.

Similarly, some kids may be overjoyed to receive £20 whereas others may be disappointed to receive 'only' £50!

What I do not like is people on here calling others tight for suggesting an amount that they consider is too little - you may be able to afford more, others cannot.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
There is no right answer as it all depends on your personal circumstances. Where you may think £50 is enough, someone else may think its too little and another person may think it's too much.

Similarly, some kids may be overjoyed to receive £20 whereas others may be disappointed to receive 'only' £50!

What I do not like is people on here calling others tight for suggesting an amount that they consider is too little - you may be able to afford more, others cannot.

Indeed. My family have always kept to around the 20 quid per person rule for a present, we could all afford a little more but have never done the whole getting in to debt to buy kids all the presents they 'need' for Christmas and birthdays. I find the whole over spending vast amounts quite vulgar to be honest. I'd like to think my nephews appreciate their 20 pound present rather than complaining that it is not enough.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Buy a pair of furry dice and alpine air freshner. Tell him it's encouragement to save.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Me and her indoors are talking about xmas pressies etc, we have a 17 year old grandson and she said we will give him some money, fine I have no problem with that, what I do have a problem with is the amount.

Can the good folk on NSC please say what they think is a sensible amount to give.

Just to clarify a few things, he wants money to save for a car....... we are not mega rich!........we have 4 other grand kids and I beleive in giving the same.

Over to you, thanks.

Halfords £20 Voucher, he is bound to buy a car that needs some work or new mats etc and anyway if you gave him £20 cash you know that will be spent on New Years Eve or before.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
£80 for an average prozzie

Then get an ugly one cheaper, and put a bag over your head mate!

I'm not personally into Xmas and I think that what my partner spends on her kids is unnecessary and OTT. However it's her money, her choice and gives her pleasure so I just bite my lip (most of the time).

As a kid I got what my parents and grandparents could afford, which generally wasn't a lot. Yes I was jealous sometimes about what my mates received, however I did learn the value of money early on and Xmas is not all about whose got what gift.

I read every year about people going into debt at Xmas so that their kids can have the best of everything. Sorry but on this I strongly disagree, and whilst I would be lovely to spoil everyone, many people simply can't afford it and should, albeit reluctantly, accept that fact rather than skint themselves for half the year paying it back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You may be taking this thread too seriously.

I always receive a cheque from my grandmother, £30, but never cash it.
Your grandmother is doing her best, and no doubt feels snubbed, because you don't see her gift as worthwhile cashing.

PS, don't do as the Box of Frogs did.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
£20-£30 is what I've always received from grandparents for a birthday/Christmas. I got £500 when I graduated from Uni, but that's the only time I've really had more. Think £20-£30 is quite reasonable in my opinion.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
You may be taking this thread too seriously.

Your grandmother is doing her best, and no doubt feels snubbed, because you don't see her gift as worthwhile cashing.

PS, don't do as the Box of Frogs did.

I don't cash it, as she is significantly less well off than I.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't cash it, as she is significantly less well off than I.
I understand that. No need to rub her nose in it, and make her gift isn't valued though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here