Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Playing the ball out from the back

Passing out form the back, are you

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The very best thing ever would be if an opposition manager instructed his players to all stand in their own half, and not move out of it while we did the dicking about in defence thing to our heart's content. Suspect we'd very soon be made to look very stupid.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The very best thing ever would be if an opposition manager instructed his players to all stand in their own half, and not move out of it while we did the dicking about in defence thing to our heart's content. Suspect we'd very soon be made to look very stupid.

You’re Scottish so I am not vaguely surprised you don’t get how football has moved on :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You’re Scottish so I am not vaguely surprised you don’t get how football has moved on :wink:

Oh yes, because there's so many deep thinkers on here. Seems like OUR football has the same needy saps falling for it every time. Remember under Poyet? Instead of Ankergren just hoofing the ball upfield from a goal kick, he'd pass it to T.Elphick. Who would pass it to El-Abd. Who would pass it to T.Elphick. Repeat half a dozen times. Then pass back to Ankergren to hoof upfield. Total football YAY! :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh yes, because there's so many deep thinkers on here. Seems like OUR football has the same needy saps falling for it every time. Remember under Poyet? Instead of Ankergren just hoofing the ball upfield from a goal kick, he'd pass it to T.Elphick. Who would pass it to El-Abd. Who would pass it to T.Elphick. Repeat half a dozen times. Then pass back to Ankergren to hoof upfield. Total football YAY! :clap:

Ah yes Ankergren who hoofed the ball down the field, without any messing about, to have it come back at us and concede a 95th minute equaliser or was it a winnner against Leeds? Yep, that’s the way to play :rolleyes:

Potterball is a step up from Poyetball btw

You don’t sit in the WSL and have a loud voice do you? :smile:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah yes Ankergren who hoofed the ball down the field, without any messing about, to have it come back at us and concede a 95th minute equaliser or was it a winnner against Leeds? Yep, that’s the way to play :rolleyes:

:shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

3-3 equaliser.

It took me a long time to get over that Ankergren howler.

https://youtu.be/D3U8fo1fiRU

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
It's just dicking around and taking unnecessary risks. There may well be some grand post-modern theory behind it, but I doubt it holds much water. The climax to the dicking around is more often than not the ball skids off midfield for a throw when it finally timidly gets played forward. Still, with Stephens now relegated to the bench, that at least means the dicking around is more or less confined to the defence, rather than also having the midfield join in with the around-dickers.

Are you on a wind up? Can’t work it out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
...of course, they are the same people shouting about possession when we do kick it long! . Personally, I love it, but it will go wrong from time to time and when it does, it will be horrible. But this is the point of being "brave" and "courageous" as GP quotes - trusting each other to do it because the rewards outweigh the risk more often than not.

Less than 50% of long balls reach their man and these include cross balls so over half the time the ball is lost from a defenders hoof. (NB: this % does not apply to Man City. Burnley do most long balls, only one third accurate.)

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I actually think it's quite similar. Not that I want it to happen or find out, but do you think we'd coast the Championship playing this way?

I always enjoyed Poyet, as we were in control and completely battered teams.

If you want pointless sideways passing then Oscar Garcia is your man......

Edit - I suppose given we are playing a similar style at a higher level would indicate it is a step up.......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Less than 50% of long balls reach their man and these include cross balls so over half the time the ball is lost from a defenders hoof. (NB: this % does not apply to Man City. Burnley do most long balls, only one third accurate.)

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

The moaners will be the same people who shout ‘put it in the box’ or ‘stick it in the mixer FFS’ when we decide to pass it around instead of crossing......not realising that ‘sticking it in the mixer’ hardly ever leads to a goal (particularly when your two strikers are short).

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm for it, in general, but to have options, thanks to individual and collective speed of thought, I want most. I don't want us out-thought, I suppose. Hoofing it to a 5ft 8 set of front men isn't the answer, but nor is being easily read and dismantled.
I cheer much louder when it attackingly works thanks to the constant shouts of NO, NO, NO. CLEAR IT from a chap behind me in the north stand.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bournemouth was a complete case in point. They set up to negate our playing out from the back, so we pinged it to Mooy and Jahanbakhsh who tore them a new one.

Next time a side might sit back a bit more - so we’ll play it a bit more. Simples innit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I actually think it's quite similar. Not that I want it to happen or find out, but do you think we'd coast the Championship playing this way?

I always enjoyed Poyet, as we were in control and completely battered teams.

If you want pointless sideways passing then Oscar Garcia is your man......

Edit - I suppose given we are playing a similar style at a higher level would indicate it is a step up.......

Poyet’s football in L1 - scintillating, a revelation, the opposition didn’t know what to do, they got knackered chasing shadows.

Poyet’s football in the Championship - often boring as hell, exactly the same as Garcia’s. CB’s playing it in triangles with Bridcutt, whilst the opposition waited and waited, cigars and deckchairs out. Upfront Poyet’s crazy choice of the hopeless £3.25m CMS, shuttle running in vain between defenders. Not said in hindsight, we were bored to tears at the time. It’s no wonder he flopped at every club since engineering his departure to the big time.

Potter is on a higher, more cerebral plane. Without any of the politics and backstabbing of TB.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Poyet’s football in L1 - scintillating, a revelation, the opposition didn’t know what to do, they got knackered chasing shadows.

Poyet’s football in the Championship - often boring as hell, exactly the same as Garcia’s. CB’s playing it in triangles with Bridcutt, whilst the opposition waited and waited, cigars and deckchairs out. Upfront Poyet’s crazy choice of the hopeless £3.25m CMS, shuttle running in vain between defenders. Not said in hindsight, we were bored to tears at the time. It’s no wonder he flopped at every club since engineering his departure to the big time.

Potter is on a higher, more cerebral plane. Without any of the politics and backstabbing of TB.

Don't agree about the Championship at all. CMS was one average player, Ashley Barnes, Vicente, Buckley on song, Noone, KLL, Orlandi, Lopez even Bridcutt played a vital role......... sorry I really didn't see it like that at all.

So many games where we tore the opposition apart. Blackpool, Wolves immediately off the top of my head, the St Patrick's Day massacre. Of course there were poor performances, Millwall but I didn't consider it to be anything like Garcia's, from an entertainment perspective.

In fact the only part I agree with is the last sentence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't agree about the Championship at all. CMS was one average player, Ashley Barnes, Vicente, Buckley on song, Noone, KLL, Orlandi, Lopez even Bridcutt played a vital role......... sorry I really didn't see it like that at all.

So many games where we tore the opposition apart. Blackpool, Wolves immediately off the top of my head, the St Patrick's Day massacre. Of course there were poor performances, Millwall but I didn't consider it to be anything like Garcia's, from an entertainment perspective.

In fact the only part I agree with is the last sentence.

Definitely some very good players, but not quite good enough overall. The vendetta against the brilliant Muzza, replacing him with CMS was a devastating blow (and no, I wasn’t overawed by his arrival).

A typical football story of we’ll have to agree to differ.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Definitely some very good players, but not quite good enough overall. The vendetta against the brilliant Muzza, replacing him with CMS was a devastating blow (and no, I wasn’t overawed by his arrival).

A typical football story of we’ll have to agree to differ.

Yes, imagine Murray instead of CMS........ we'd have achieved the PL goal much sooner.

I got CMS completely wrong..... was so excited when he arrived.......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Quite a few people on here seem to think that the long balls to Burn on Saturday were evidence of us starting to 'mix it up' with the passing around at the back to encourage the press.

I'm not convinced. Saturday was the first and only time Ryan has gone long on goal kicks (and from hand) all season.

I think it was far more likely that for this specific game, Burns aerial ability over Wilson and Stacey had been identified and was pre-planned. It was noticeable from very early on that Billing was having to come right across to try to challenge Burn (unsuccessfully) leaving space in the middle for Mooy to exploit.

I saw stats somewhere that we played more short goal kicks than anyone else in the Premier League (Man City being second) so far this season. It'll be interesting to see come wednesday, but I think against Chelsea you may well see us return to the excessively short goal kicks we have used in every other match.

I think any 30-40 yarders will come from Dunk or Webster

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was chatting to a mate today about this. It seems a large number of fans are very uncomfortable with it and audibly moan when the players and keeper are getting closed down. Are YOU comfortable with it?

Is your 'mate' :wink: happy, happier, as an Albion fan now than he was say last season?

If the answer is yes, then tell 'him' to shut the f**k up because playing out from the back is integral to 'his' happiness.

If the answer is no, then tell 'him' to shut the f**k up because 'he' clearly knows nothing about football.

:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here