Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players that you’d like to see get some 1st team minutes

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There is an old football cliche that states, ‘never change a winning team’. This should apply equally to a team with a bottom 6 budget facing a top 4 clash tomorrow that could see them end up in 3rd place.

Whilst I can’t see any justification (this early in the season) of changing the line-up we had against Liverpool individually (not tactically), I’m really keen to see more of a number of current bench players who’s potential really excites me.

One player I really like (in the handful of minutes I’ve seen him) is Sarmiento. I really hope that he gets some game time soon.

Maybe I’ve just got to wait for the Carabao cup?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I think Mitoma must be pushing for a start,the Arsenal league cup game will probably give the manager the perfect opportunity to look at the players who've not started yet

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think Mitoma must be pushing for a start,the Arsenal league cup game will probably give the manager the perfect opportunity to look at the players who've not started yet

I wonder what Roberto's attitude to the cups will be? Would be lovely to progress deep in both competitions.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Well if Caicedo is out (didn't train yesterday, hopefully will today), then we might see Gilmour take his place tomorrow?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is an old football cliche that states, ‘never change a winning team’. This should apply equally to a team with a bottom 6 budget facing a top 4 clash tomorrow that could see them end up in 3rd place.

Whilst I can’t see any justification (this early in the season) of changing the line-up we had against Liverpool individually (not tactically), I’m really keen to see more of a number of current bench players who’s potential really excites me.

One player I really like (in the handful of minutes I’ve seen him) is Sarmiento. I really hope that he gets some game time soon.

Maybe I’ve just got to wait for the Carabao cup?

Sarmiento was the first name that sprung to my mind on reading the thread title. Has looked good in the few minutes he has had and so unlucky with Injuries (and Mitoma is really exciting) :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well if Caicedo is out (didn't train yesterday, hopefully will today), then we might see Gilmour take his place tomorrow?

When considering who could replace Caicedo, if he is out, I had forgotten that Gilmour exists, to be honest. But you're right - probably the most likely stand in.

Its a worry though. If Spurs do switch to a midfield 3 and bring in Bissouma, we'll struggle in that area. Brilliant though Mac Allister is, a 3 of Mac, Groß and Gilmour (or Lallana) just won't have the legs to cope.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sarmiento was the first name that sprung to my mind on reading the thread title. Has looked good in the few minutes he has had and so unlucky with Injuries (and Mitoma is really exciting) :thumbsup:

Completely agree with you and the OP. The lad looks special from the very limited time we've seen him on the field. Really hope he isn't just one of those players that is constantly injured.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I'd like to see more of Mitoma, I think/hope his direct style will appeal to de Zerbi.
And Enciso

Saw Sarmiento a few times for the 23's last year and I don't know if it was because he was back with the 23's. but he seemed to want to do too much on his own, far too much

Can't see a huge amount changing tomorrow, unless Caicedo has to drop out. But I think either Lallana or Gilmour should be able to step in

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Agree with both Mitoma and Gilmour - Hopefully they'll be strong assets. Wouldn't mind seeing how Van Hecke goes, but not in the league. Give him a chance in the cup games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not as starters, but there are several players in the U21s I'd like to see given 10 minutes or so if/when we are 2 or 3 up (or down) - Ferguson (who might even start if Welbeck gets injured) and Turns look the most likely, maybe Offiah and Spong too (but not all at once!)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I hope Moran gets some minutes against Arsenal. He looks a really exciting player

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Would like to see what Undav could do in a De Zerbi team. Not sure I would want to see Welbeck or Trossard on the bench though.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I wonder if Billy Gilmour will get a runout soon? If Moises is absent tomorrow, would he pick Lallana or Gilmour as cover?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Kaoru Mitoma for me, his performances off the bench, albeit it small cameo roles, thus far this season have shown that he can really test defences with his pace running and defences. I would think the Carabou Cup tie at the Emirates would be a great opportunity for him to start.

Other than that, it would be nice to see Sarmiento get some minutes sometimes soon after his long injury lay off, and Levi Colwill, what point is there bringing him on loan unless he gets a game somewhedre along the line?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
………and Levi Colwill, what point is there bringing him on loan unless he gets a game somewhedre along the line?

I imagine that he’ll be recalled in January as Potter knew that he was only going to be an insurance option if Webster gets injured along with providing the odd defensive back-up to Perv or playing some cup games. There is no way we were going to develop a Chelsea player for that scum club in the same way Southampton and Palace do for them.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Mitoma, Gilmour and Moran should all make the bench but not start (currently). As should Ferguson. For actual minutes in the first team the long term injured Pole is Shirley the answer to the original question. Forza Moder!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here