Players Out Drinking !!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Okay, let's have some stories of when you have seen players past or present, out on the juice. During the season or not. What were they like?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Richard Carpenter - Station Bar by Hove Station, was drinking Vodka & Lemonade...I know as I bought him and his bird a drink! Was the evening he gave away a penalty but I think we won, cant quite remember!
Anyway a very decent chap who had plenty to talk about, including how much the lads did'nt like Kitson...although he showed his class on the training pitch "when he's there" said Chippy! Upon mentioning Zamora he said back then "he's off to Spurs" and also the now dreaded line "we'll stay up" :shootself

Decent bloke with very large hands :)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
About 10 years ago now, I saw Robert Codner at the Pink Coconut. I was typically drunk and just telling him what a big fan of the Albion I am etc.

I started angling for a drink off the fella, by saying how, despite being a poor student (I was at Uni in London at the time) I spent all my money, and ran up a good deal of debt, cheering the Albion on every week.

"Can I get you a drink Robert?" I enquired expecting him to say no and buy me one instead.
"Yeah, cheers mate I'll have a ..... " It was some ridculously expensive sounding cocktail.
"Oh okay, I'll start to queue" I muttered, rather sorry for myself.
"It's okay, I know the barman. DAVE, I'll have another and he's paying." Pointing to me.

It was about a fiver and I slopped off contemplating a walk home and no take-away as I was now brassic.

beast

Banned
Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Lee Steele was a big fan of Event II Discoteque. Absolute womaniser!
:mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mayo in the event,
Packham , Dave Lee, Adam Virgo in the beach
Carpenter in the polar bar.

Carpenter was by far the most friendly and lapped up the ooohhhh Chippy , Chippy , Chippy Chippy Chippy Carpenter

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
When I started frequenting pubs in the last 70's,early 80's it coincided with the Albion's greatest period.

A Saturday night after the Albion's Div 1 game I regularly saw the legend Steve Foster having a few sherbets together with Grealish, Case, Maybank etc.

Fozzie was a legend and I remember seeing him dancing on the bar at Coasters one Saturday night.

I also saw some Albions players who will not be mentioned on the lash at 2am before the cup game that day at Watford !. We lost 1-3 !.

It was in the days of play a hard game and then have 10 pints.

I still see Foster, Maybank and Gary Williams frequenting the pubs in Hove at the weekend.

Legends all of them !.

Used to see Lee Steele and Paul Brooker in the Paradox a lot, Will Packham and Danny Webb in the Event and Paul Ifill is normally in there or the Standard most Satdi nights. Also see youth teamers Adam El Abd and Gary Elphick in the Event a lot, and of course Danny Davis (my hero :D ) who seems to go in the Event more then I do, which is saying something.

Never forget the time we saw Chris McPhee in there, Fatboy said look I'm Danny Webb and collapsed in a heap on the floor, McPhee stared at him in utter disbelief :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
At Coasters Night Club...yes you have to be old to remember Coasters( Originally Papa Jenks/Jenkinsons by the Event), I put Tony Grealish in a cab home as he got totally 100% wankered and was sat in the middle of the dance floor!!!

Anyone remember Coasters and the DJ, Rory or sommat like that who used to have a big Video Wall which showed video's of him!

Harvey

Jul 8, 2003
Over there.
Never forget the time we saw Chris McPhee in there, Fatboy said look I'm Danny Webb and collapsed in a heap on the floor, McPhee stared at him in utter disbelief :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap: [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, Classic!:lolol: :clap2: :lolol:

It's amazing how one sighting of a player in a club or pub can get them a reputation for being a "real lad" who can't stay off the booze. This is usually completely unfair. Lee Steele springs to mind - although I heard (from a reliable source) that his real "problem" was that he spent most of his evenings at home in front of the telly.

I once spent a whole evening in the company of a couple of players in the current squad. I've never seen so much mineral water consumed in a single session. Not that either of them are abstainers when the circumstances are right.

Most recent sighting was late at night in a Newcastle hotel bar - the great Emlyn Hughes. He gave up at 1.30am, about an hour before I did. Top bloke.

:drink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I stood in the urinal next to Jimmy Case in Shades bar, after his goal against Norwich that won the quarter-final. He looked like he was having a good night.

Unfortunately, I'd had a few as well so could only burble something like, "great goal, Jim". He was actually more polite than he could have been, seeing I was interrupting him having a piss.

Harvey

Jul 8, 2003
Over there.
Scott Ramsay always used to be out on the piss in Eastbourne all the time. Used to see him around when i used to live there.

Popular rumour suggest that's why he left. I however think it was because he was a pile of poo.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Seen John Keeley in the pub I work at - he was in there last night, had a couple of pints and a chat - Top bloke!! :clap:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Following on from Gwylan's story of piss, I once found myself stood next to Larry May at the urinals at the Brighton Centre. I was there on a works Xmas party. No idea what he was there fore but, we had quite a good conversation during a lengthy "breaking the seal" piss.

Top fella, was very polite and chatty, despite the uncomfortable scene.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
My cousin has told me how he always used to see the players in Sumos last year after home games. Didn't always work out too well though as he got far too drunk one night and started proclaiming his love for Bobby, perhaps the true reason for his leaving????

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Robert Codner again, but this time in a better light !

A mate of mine once blagged us into the players bar at the Goldstone (R.I.P) after a pre-season friendly with Arsenal. I was extremely drunk and overcome with the excitement of seeing so many of the players. Got chatting to Mark Barham and his wife for a while. Barham was very polite and decent.

Then I started talking to Codner, and he was honestly all-ears about my views on the game, and his in particularly. At one point John Crumplin came over and starting interupting me. Robert turned to him and cut him dead with "Hang on mate, this fellas talking!". Football genius, scurried off like a naughty school kid. I felt 10 feet tall, but had completely forgotten what I was talking about.

That moment will stay with me forever, however the Pink Coconut incident a couple of years later did slightly taint the memory.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Gwylan said:
I stood in the urinal next to Jimmy Case in Shades bar, after his goal against Norwich that won the quarter-final. He looked like he was having a good night.

Unfortunately, I'd had a few as well so could only burble something like, "great goal, Jim". He was actually more polite than he could have been, seeing I was interrupting him having a piss.

Not Albion-related at all, but I once pissed next to Rory Bremner in the toilets at Arundel Castle cricket ground during some sort of charity match. I was sorely tempted, when he was finished, to put on a Richie Benaud voice and say: "What a marvellous delivery that was", but I didn't.

(Other famous people next to whom I have urinated: Harry Gration; Michael Portillo.)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Seems a few of us have pissed next to our hero's, mine being Joe Strummer in the exclusive 100 Clubin London, may he R.I.P. punk:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Many years ago at a New Year's bash at the Pink Coconut we were treated to the sight of several Albion players in fancy dress strutting their stuff on the dance floor. Garry Nelson was either dressed as a parrot (or at least had a parrot on his shoulder).... something to do with 'sick as a parrot'.

That's all a bit hazy but etched, horrifyingly, into my memory is Gerry Armstrong in a tight fitting ladies' leopardskin number. At one point there were a few of them "dancing" just above everyone's head - they must have been balanced on the bar or something - which would have been fine but for Mr Armstrong's rather short skirt. The sight of the Northern Ireland legend's sweaty knackers swinging in the breeze put me off my food for a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports