Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players Leaving

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It is wrong, you're right. But BHA would do it too.

Football is a bastards game.
To be honest you're probably right, if we'd been in your position we'd have done the same thing. After all the mechanism is there so a club would be stupid not to use it. The difference is we just accepted we weren't wealthy and didn't get into massive debt trying to 'chase the dream'. When Dick Knight was chairman (before moneybags Bloom) you should have seen the threads on here imploring him to 'get his chequebook out' and to 'invest' in new players. Wisely he ignored the rantings on here. It meant we weren't able to maintain Championship status (or get it back) but we avoided going down your path.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I couldn't believe how dire we were against them yesterday.

We should have won the reverse by 2/3 goals though.

Living up here i have a couple of mates who are Palace fans, theres no doubt you deserved to stay up last year, and you have had and still have a strong youth policy but like wednesday (who are not going anywhere) and Leeds before (who had an even better youth policy) a number of years in league one beckons and the signs are goals conceded; and that every good result seems to be followed by yet another defeat, unless though someone comes in who's able to change current culture of players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wouldn't that be a choker if Hughton went to Palace and took Lua Lua with him :angry:

Why would he do that when we have been assured they have the best players in the division and this being near the bottom is all down to bad luck and a bad manager not players playing badly so they dont need him. With a good manager they will win promotion to the Premiership with all of their good players.:lolol:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
We were docked points for being forced into admin. Jordan didn't take the easy way out, an aggressive creditor wanted to make sure they got 100% back within months.

Davids was playing well, until his dad died. Probably a valid excuse, eh?

We are still the better team. We will prove that next season.

If you can't afford to repay money then simply do not borrow the money/use the credit facility to start with, surely that's common sense and good business?

Jordan didn't take the easy way out as a bigger points deduction guaranteed relegation and virtually no hope of a buyer for your club. Even the orange idiot knew that much :lolol:

Did Davids actually have any decent games for you, your "star signing" didn't exactly inspire the rest of your team.

You can argue that on the basis that right now owing to the fact you are being beaten week in week out in the league above us that maybe your team is better than ours, but then you have been historically higher than us in the football pyramid for a good number of years BUT things are changing and you neither like or accept the fact. I have big doubts you will avoid the inevitable drop this season, you don't seem to be able to score enough and concede too many (goal diff -19!). Facts are facts, say what you like about playing us next season, but unless you get lucky in one of the cups you won't be playing us.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Well you could say he has with a number of players, as the likes of El Abd, Dicker and Navarro have gone from being between poor and average under previous managers to top-quality league one players thanks to Gus. But obviously a number of our key men have been brought in by him too, although in fairness he's not spent very much to do that.

As for Palace, a fit and firing Ambrose and Danns would get in every championship side, Speroni is as good as you'll get in that division and Clyne is obviously highly rated. On paper it's an ok Championship squad. However, I know it's stating the obvious, but if you've got nobody who can score a goal you're going to struggle. I've just looked on your website and it says no player has scored more than five goals this season, and no striker currently at the club has more than TWO! That's outrageously bad and explains why you're where you are. Reasonable manager + a striker who can score 10 goals in the rest of the season = you'll be fine. Below par manager + no major improvement upfront = banker relegation outfit.

Navarro was awful in the beginning but he wasnt fit, MK fans reaction to him up at their ground showed how hed been for them. Also its a touch harsh on Gary dicker, who as a midfield player from day one retained possession and played the easy pass. The older I get the more I appreciate players who can do that in midfield. I do think though that GD has improved under Gus, as has Bridcutt (in a short time) and Bennett, and well El Abd is a revelation.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It is wrong, you're right. But BHA would do it too.

Football is a bastards game.

BHA won't do it as it's a club run properly with a oard of supporters. I'd sooner see us in the conference then embarrass ourselves like you / Pompey / Stains have.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Sorry? Ambrose MAYBE? He's one of the best midfielders in the Championship, he scores goals for fun when fit and has the best free-kick I've ever seen at Palace

Our league position is largely down to our manager using the wrong tactics, not signing a striker and not signing a defensive midfielder. Our performance yesterday was woeful, but our away form has been all season.

We won't know the answer. Our chairmen go on our BBS all the time, and were answering questions last night. They said money was given to Burley, and was given a wage budget of an extra £17k a week, which would have paid for 2/3 very good players; he just didn't use it.
He could have been very good (he was phenomenal for Ipswich) so we all expected him to deliver. Unfortunately, he really didn't.

Our current situation is temporary, our squad is good. New signings will see this. After all, if we were really in trouble, why would the best goalkeeper in the League and some of the best midfielders in the League sign new 3 year contracts?!

How will you get three good players with 17k a week. Vaughan is on 15k at Everton and with the clubs after him I cannot see him coming to you for 5.5k per week. And if as you say the best midfielders have signed 3 year contract because you have such a bright future, why will Danns not sign his?
I have read you chairmans posts and in many cases he was very evasive in his replies, but with so many fans brown noseing him he got away with it.
He stated that Lee and Butterfield leaving was down to Burley but then he admits that selling Lee was good business and also I remember that Butterfield wanted a longer contract than the club were prepared to offer. So some of what he said should be taken with a pinch of salt.
To be fair to him he did say it was his fault for taking on Burley, but this begs the question, is he any better informed to make the next appointment?

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We were docked points for being forced into admin. Jordan didn't take the easy way out, an aggressive creditor wanted to make sure they got 100% back within months.

Davids was playing well, until his dad died. Probably a valid excuse, eh?

We are still the better team. We will prove that next season.

The aggresive creditor Agilo had every right to do what they did because Jordan had already missed stage payments. He had put the players contracts up as security for the loan and he sold Fonte and did not give them any of the money. He was trying at the time to sell Moses and after the Fonte deal they probably did not trust him anymore. Hence they put you into admin.
Davids could have still been at the club, but Burley knew he was no longer up to championship football, so he got rid.
i

Last edited:

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Dicker wasn't involved enough though pre-Gus. He's always shown skill but certainly didn't run a game on even one occasion before the great man arrived. Hence I'd put him in the 'average' bracket. Navarro and El Abd both belong in 'poor' before Poyet. All three are now first names on the team sheet, despite that clearly being impossible!

you talk shit

Eaagle

Jan 2, 2011
How will you get three good players with 17k a week. Vaughan is on 15k at Everton and with the clubs after him I cannot see him coming to you for 5.5k per week. And if as you say the best midfielders have signed 3 year contract because you have such a bright future, why will Danns not sign his?
I have read you chairmans posts and in many cases he was very evasive in his replies, but with so many fans brown noseing him he got away with it.
He stated that Lee and Butterfield leaving was down to Burley but then he admits that selling Lee was good business and also I remember that Butterfield wanted a longer contract than the club were prepared to offer. So some of what he said should be taken with a pinch of salt.
To be fair to him he did say it was his fault for taking on Burley, but this begs the question, is he any better informed to make the next appointment?

Danns is stalling because his family want to move north.

He said he now knows to ask questions he didn't know to ask before.

Eaagle

Jan 2, 2011
BHA won't do it as it's a club run properly with a oard of supporters. I'd sooner see us in the conference then embarrass ourselves like you / Pompey / Stains have.

All of our chairmen are fans with a great knowledge of club history who have been to loads of games.

Eaagle

Jan 2, 2011

We were paying JV £10k a week. There is 17 grand MORE available than Burley spent! JV's wages weren't included in the 17k

I thought he answered as well as he could, considering he's restricted. They're always coming on though.

You misunderstood him, he said that Lee and DB were allowed to leave by Burley, and he agreed that it was good business. He said that DB wanted a longer contract than BURLEY wanted to give him. The chairmen gave him a higher budget than most teams (our wage bill was astronomical last season, and they have put up 17k more, and an extra 15k in contracts per week.

This shitty situation is all down to Burley.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
All of our chairmen are fans with a great knowledge of club history who have been to loads of games.

I agree with that, but so was Jordan. But I do think you have guys with business sense now.
I just still cant see how 17k a week in the championship is going to get the three signings of quality you need.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We were paying JV £10k a week. There is 17 grand MORE available than Burley spent! JV's wages weren't included in the 17k

I thought he answered as well as he could, considering he's restricted. They're always coming on though.

No sorry you forget I have read Steve Parish posts, the 17k was after Vaughan left.
Because he stated that the two players who scored against you for Millwall and a Swansea loanee could have been brought to the club for this money.

Last edited:

Eaagle

Jan 2, 2011
The aggresive creditor Agilo had every right to do what they did because Jordan had already missed stage payments. He had put the players contracts up as security for the loan and he sold Fonte and did not give them any of the money. He was trying at the time to sell Moses and after the Fonte deal they probably did not trust him anymore. Hence they put you into admin.
Davids could have still been at the club, but Burley knew he was no longer up to championship football, so he got rid.
i

He became shit when his dad died. Can't hold that against him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here