Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players for whom THE goal defined their Albion careers

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sidwell first time around 2 goals in the last minute v Burnley in his last appearance for us was pretty memorable.

A couple of weeks later he got another brace against Burnley ... for Reading.

That seemed to define where we were at the time.

I've cheered up a bit since then.

Then he came back and did this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPYBG5bpT2I&ab_channel=OfficialBrighton&HoveAlbionFC

Incredible. I remember watching this on TV with [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] and going absolutely nuts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ryan Harley – free kick vs Peterborough.

The fact that it's not already been mentioned (unless I missed it) speaks volumes!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
John Ruggiero on debut off the bench against the Stain, opening day of the 77/78 season. Never really heard anything about him since.

Good one. I remember going absolutely APESHIT when that went in, thought we'd signed another Ward. Then nothing. I just checked Wikipedia and he played 8 games for us and scored 2 goals. Who was the other one against?

Oh, and lay off Alan Duffy everyone! He scored 8 goals for us and in my teenage mind every one was a classic!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Good one. I remember going absolutely APESHIT when that went in, thought we'd signed another Ward. Then nothing. I just checked Wikipedia and he played 8 games for us and scored 2 goals. Who was the other one against?

I went nuts too, he'd only just come on and scored with a ripper from outside of the penalty box. I don't know who the other goal was against.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Stuart Munday against Leicester

Robbie Reinelt

Jahanbahksh's bicycle kick

Ryan Harley's free kick against Peterborough

Matthew Edwards against Man Utd

Ryan Harley – free kick vs Peterborough.

The fact that it's not already been mentioned (unless I missed it) speaks volumes!

:D

Exeter were kind of a second team for me then, as I was living nearby and my daughter playing youth football for them. Ryan Harley was, lets make no bones about it, absolutely BRILLIANT for them and I was so excited we signed him. Then sitting near front row in the lower north west corner for THAT free kick on his debut, oh I thought we'd got a real gem and then :( don't really know what happened there, guess Exeter was just the peak of his career

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:D

Exeter were kind of a second team for me then, as I was living nearby and my daughter playing youth football for them. Ryan Harley was, lets make no bones about it, absolutely BRILLIANT for them and I was so excited we signed him. Then sitting near front row in the lower north west corner for THAT free kick on his debut, oh I thought we'd got a real gem and then :( don't really know what happened there, guess Exeter was just the peak of his career

Ha! Sorry KL, I obviously did miss it. I recall that Peterborough game being very dull and nothing more than a routine 2-0 win APART from that moment of magic.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not sure about the word "defined" by the way... if a player was shite but scored a great goal, did it really "define" his Albion career then?

Ali J would eventually be forgotten...

...if it wasn't for that bicycle kick v Chelsea.

Or he will mainly be remembered as a flop signing.

Time will tell.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure about the word "defined" by the way... if a player was shite but scored a great goal, did it really "define" his Albion career then?

Or he will mainly be remembered as a flop signing.

Time will tell.

He scored one of the most beautiful goals I've even seen, right in front of me, half a day into a new decade. That's wholly what he'll be remembered for, forever, for me at least. It was a privilege to be there to witness it

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Willie Irvine…. I can only remember that one goal.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
The centre half on loan from Charlton who scored at Barnet, I can't even remember his name let alone anything else in his one game Albion career

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I went nuts too, he'd only just come on and scored with a ripper from outside of the penalty box. I don't know who the other goal was against.

O/T - That Southampton game is actually up there in my top 5 Albion away games. It was our first game after promotion to Div 2 (old money). It was a lovely sunny day, the away end was packed, and we were playing 'big club' Southampton, who always dominated football coverage on BBC South and Southern (the old ITV franchise). Justifiably their fans would say as growing up they always seemed to be in the 1st division, and they'd won the FA Cup a year or two previously.

We were wondering how we'd cope in such exalted company, we went a goal down and feared the worst. Then the 'New Pele' came on and - BANG! That 1-1 draw gave us so much confidence, in fact I don't think we actually lost a game in that first month.

Happy days!

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Or Jimmy Case against Norwich?
Or Jimmy Case against Sheff Wed?

Don't think you can pick a defining Case goal as he scored more than one crucial one. We can't even pick one for 1983! :lolol:

Yeah i kind of agree but he really did not score that many goals for us outside the cup run and that Charlton game

The only reason i chose that one was it was against Liverpool,Bob Paisley had never won the FA cup as a manager and never had the chance again.

But i take your point.The goal against Norwich was a cracker.One of the dullest matches i have ever watched!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here