Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Sheff W

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Interesting to see Ince get such poor marks.
I was working today and listened on Talksport (mostly shaking my head)
Chris Powell and Moose were raving about Ince saying that sitting in front of the back four he looks real class.
Admittedly it was in the first 20 minutes, were they wrong or did he fade away.
The atmosphere also sounded fantastic.
During the second half the comnents were, better side, nice passing, no cutting edge and not able to put the final ball through.
Cannot believe that nothing seems to have changed in our style of play.
Oh and they also said that no goalkeeper in the world would have saved the goal.
Yes, he faded away & looked awkward, much like the second half of last season. He's a prospect but needs direction

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Chris Powell and Moose were raving about Ince saying that sitting in front of the back four he looks real class.
During the second half the comnents were, better side, nice passing, no cutting edge and not able to put the final ball through.
Oh and they also said that no goalkeeper in the world would have saved the goal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Everyone poor.

Best Ince

Worst Bruno, totally inept in everything he does a complete waste. Some are fooled by his little shows of skills but they never go anywhere.

Other than that couldn't be bothered to sum up.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was quite shocked with Hughes winning MOTM. He was bundled aside by that lumbering behemoth on a couple of occasions when he should easily have been in control of the situation in the second half. If he's overpowered by a side as bad as Wednesday pretty much constantly were, then i fear a little of the physical sides who will visit. Greer was quality overall today, i thought. He really wanted it and led us with a presence that i hope Hughes brings to the field over the next couple of months at least.
Up front we were hugely lacking. The Wednesday defenders had little to do.

I hope Sammi has a good look at the players we have and decides on a formation that fully suits them. I like Calde and Bruno steaming forward and being a threat, but they don't seem to have the pace to outsprint a defender or two on the break. Ward will be good to have as a constant stampeder, but we do have a squad with a few chaps who can do damage out wide and i hope we use them there at times.
And in agreement with all, i'd like Kemi to be cannoned from our team and squad before he ever dons the front-shirted stripes again. He may be horribly low in confidence beneath his veneer of grotesque braggadocio, but he's absolute pony and both blundersome and ungiving. Be gone!

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
No-one great
Fenelon was awful. no attempt at closing down. Probably less effort than Ryan Harley. Buckley did not achieve much when he came on, but at least made an effort, probably ran further than Fenelon in the few minutes he got.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
No-one great
Fenelon was awful. no attempt at closing down. Probably less effort than Ryan Harley. Buckley did not achieve much when he came on, but at least made an effort, probably ran further than Fenelon in the few minutes he got.
Bit unfair on Fenelon! Was left exposed without support at times by a cautious,slow, ineffective,STATIC midfield. As was COG! Hopefully Sami will see that he does not have the personel for his chosen system SOONER RATHER THAN LATER!!

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Exactly Ince was a our best midfielder. People on NSC just love to knock our young players, yes he is going to lose the ball occasionally as everything was going thru him. He must have touched the ball twice as many times as most of our players. Giving Lua Lua a 7 is laughable as soon as we went down to ten men he lost interest and was a liability. We are terribly light at the moment. Calderon has never been a left back and i think we would have been better playing Hughes at left back and Dunk in the middle with Greer. On the plus side I thought Greer was MOM and have never seen him push forward so much, hardly a pass back to the keeper. O'Grady worked hard, but needs a player alongside of him. Buckley looked sharper than for a long time and would love to see him get back to his best form. As far as being PLR we are signing players that will never in a million years be that, so the next three weeks will show whether we are serious about getting there. If we don't show any intent then the possibility of relegation and the major loss of season ticket holders next year will loom clear. Another plus for me was that we showed more emphasis on attack we just have not got the players to play the way Sami wants. If he doesn't get the right players I can't see him staying too long. If we lose another manager we will struggle to get a decent replacement as any manager will look at recent events and stay clear as no-one wants to manage with one hand tied behind your back which looks like the case at the moment.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Stockdale 5. Personally I felt he could have done better with the goal. Two kicks direct into touch. Otherwise looked OK, but not much to do.

Bruno 6. One of our better players on the day, but one wasted overhit pass when we were in a good attacking position in the 2nd half.

Greer 6. OK. Would prefer to see Dunk.

Hughes 7. Played a little better than Greer, but not MOM as the sponsors seemed to think.

Calderon 6. Got into two great positions in the 1st half, but wrong ball played to him. Better than Chicksen on the left, but we need a proper LB.

Ince 5. Not at his best. Looked hesitant when on the ball.

Crofts 5. Probably worth a 7 up to the sending off, but loses two points for a stupid tackle.

JFC 4. No difference from last season. The lad really really isn't up to the task.

Lua Lua 7. Ran into a few dead-ends when he could have passed the ball, but at least tried to make things happen. Stupid and unnecessary booking towards the end for arguing with the ref.

Fenelon 2. Boy trying to do a man's job. Did nothing of note apart from one good defensive tackle, but that's not what he was on the pitch for.

O'Grady 7. Good first half, but faded in the 2nd. Holds the ball up very well. Good signing. MOM.

Subs:
Agustein 4. I would really like this guy to do well, but he consistently fails to deliver.
Buckley 4. Did nothing apart from one run and cross. What the hell has happened to him?
CMS 4. Ran around a lot.

Depressing. Where was Solly March ... the one player who could have made a difference.
Done better with the goal? He had no chance and March was injured

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Stockdale 5. Didn't really have anything to do. Some nice, calm play with the back four but also some poor kicking.

Bruno 5. Made some great attacking runs but then didn't do anything once he found himself in a good position. Defensively suspect.

Greer 8. Won everything in the air and positionally spot on.

Hughes 4. Seemed a little nervous. A few occasions where he let their big striker get the better of him when he could have just let the ball go out of play and was poor overall.

Calderon 6. Did his best but struggled at times when he was played balls that would have suited a left footer. Got in good attacking positions and don't remember many opposition attacks pre-sending off coming from his side. Ball watched a bit in the second half when he tired.

Ince 6. Great first half, poor second half.

Crofts 4. Some good movement but not very effective and his tackle was idiotic.

JFC 5. Tried to keep us ticking over with quick short passes but very predictable. A few nice long range balls but was lucky not to be sent off.

Lua Lua 6. Looked very sharp in the first half but cut inside too much and lacked a final ball.

Fenelon 4. Not in the game and looked unsure.

O'Grady 6. Put himself about and worked hard but should have done better with his chance.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I was quite shocked with Hughes winning MOTM. He was bundled aside by that lumbering behemoth on a couple of occasions when he should easily have been in control of the situation in the second half. If he's overpowered by a side as bad as Wednesday pretty much constantly were, then i fear a little of the physical sides who will visit. Greer was quality overall today, i thought. He really wanted it and led us with a presence that i hope Hughes brings to the field over the next couple of months at least.

Spot on.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Stockdale 5

Bruno 4
Greer 6
Hughes 6
Calderon 5

Ince 4
JFC 5
Crofts 4

Fenekon 4
O'Grady 6
Lua Lua 7

Subs:

Agustien 2
Buckley 4
CMS 5

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Stockdale - 6 - Distribution questionable, had very little to deal with
Bruno - 6 - Looked realtively solid
Calderon - 5 - What was his position today? He spent most of the game as an ineffective, attacking left sided midfieder. It was like watching Adam Virgo in Mickey Adams' second spell.
Greer - 7 - MOM - Solid and showed more heart than anyone. Loved his attacking cameos
Hughes - 6 - Good debut but the had very little to trouble someone of his class
Ince - 6 - Hot and cold so a lukewarm 6
JFC - 5 - Gets the ball in space, overhits his first touch, has to commit a professional foul to stop Wednesday being clean through. :ffsparr: Had brighter moments too to be fair.
Crofts - 4 - Stupid red which ultimatly nullified our chances of getting back into the game. Better pushed right up behind the frontman in my opinion.
KLL - 5 - Tame shot when put through, did nothing to convince me he is anything more than an impacrt sub (yet again)
Fenelon - 3 - No idea why he started. Hope he gets more chances but he looked completely out of his depth today. Tuesday night would make sense. A Chris McPhee of a performance
O'Grady - 6 - Grafter. Did well to get the shot away for Westwood's one troublesome moment,

CMS - 5 - Did nothing of note, nothing at all
Buckley - 5 - Ditto
Agustiein - 2 - I found his first couple of touches really refreshing as he tried defence splitting passes (something that we had lacked all game) which didn't quite come off. Then he tried and failed again...and again..and again..and again...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was as frustrated as I was under Garcia. We again seemed to lack any desire to win the ball, especially late in the game when we were trailing and desperate for a goal. So many of our players hanging back in our half/half way line.

I felt like we had no threat down the right, Bruno got forward well, but there was no substance to his attack, no threatening crosses, etc. and he often seemed to be on his own until Crofts came out to provide support, but that didn't help make them a threat. It doesn't help that our recognised wingers were tucked inside being crowded out.

Wednesday seemed hungrier for possession. When they had the ball they were hard to dispossess, when they didn't they were eager to get the ball, challenging in numbers so if they just get a poke to it, or it ricochets around there's another team mate to collect it, often times they would just run up beside our players and poke the ball away. We also switched off for the goal, regardless of the referee letting them take the free kick where it was after telling them to move it, we had plenty of time to deal with the attack but because of our own lack of focus we didn't and made it easy for them to cut through us for the goal.

It felt like we had no attacking threat, like we were playing without a striker and just improvising, balls up to the front were collected by players who looked like they weren't sure what to do, always trying to trap it, take a few touches because first time shots were beyond them, and when they did take shots they seemed too considered, taking out the venom of the shot making it easy to save.

For me, the issue was the application and the tactics just as much as the (lack of) signings.

Stockdale - 6 his kicking was awful, didn't really shine elsewhere
Bruno - 6 got forward but showed no threat, they had far too much space down his side for the goal
Greer - 6.5 I think he had our two best chances
Hughes - 6 Didn't see what he did to deserve the sponsor's MOTM (even taking into consideration the way sponsor's MOTM is often given to whoever scored or the keeper)
Calderon - 6.5 decent effort in the LB position
Ince -
Crofts - 5 reckless challenge, deserved red. Prior to that made an effort to support Bruno out wide
JFC - 6 doesn't show much creativity or attacking intent, could easily have seen red himself, both for the first cautioned challenge, and the second for which he escaped a second caution
LuaLua - 6 playing him inside really seems to suck the pace out of him, his diving was embarrassing and when we were down to 10 men, staying on the ground rolling around when you're not injured is counter-productive.
Fenelon - 6 if this game was anything to go by, I'm not convinced he is ready.
O'Grady - 6 worked hard, but just didn't click for me.

Agustien - 6 I didn't think he played really well, but I don't see what he does that deserves the criticism he gets
Buckley -6 like lualua his threat is taken away to a degree when played inside, but did have a few moments
CMS - 6 I don't think he has shown anything since his return from injury to suggest he deserves to start, but it is weird Fenelon played ahead of him.

On the plus side, I love the view in my new seat, and the fans around me (so far) have kept their negativity in proportion.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Exactly Ince was a our best midfielder. People on NSC just love to knock our young players, yes he is going to lose the ball occasionally as everything was going thru him. He must have touched the ball twice as many times as most of our players. Giving Lua Lua a 7 is laughable as soon as we went down to ten men he lost interest and was a liability. We are terribly light at the moment. Calderon has never been a left back and i think we would have been better playing Hughes at left back and Dunk in the middle with Greer. On the plus side I thought Greer was MOM and have never seen him push forward so much, hardly a pass back to the keeper. O'Grady worked hard, but needs a player alongside of him. Buckley looked sharper than for a long time and would love to see him get back to his best form. As far as being PLR we are signing players that will never in a million years be that, so the next three weeks will show whether we are serious about getting there. If we don't show any intent then the possibility of relegation and the major loss of season ticket holders next year will loom clear. Another plus for me was that we showed more emphasis on attack we just have not got the players to play the way Sami wants. If he doesn't get the right players I can't see him staying too long. If we lose another manager we will struggle to get a decent replacement as any manager will look at recent events and stay clear as no-one wants to manage with one hand tied behind your back which looks like the case at the moment.[/QUOTE

I was not there today but my fear is that we do not have any really experienced player this season.
Wayne Bridge and Matt Upson both been there seen it and done it internationals. The Pig ex Man United Polish international, Vicente, sublime skill etc.
These types of players make a massive difference not only on the pitch but at training and right through the club, they make other players raise their
game and they can read a game so well.
Not seriously of course but if we had got Lampard or maybe Joe Cole or Rio Ferdinand it would make a huge difference that's what class and experience can do.

Tim Edwards

Feb 2, 2013
He was out of position too far off his line and then tried to push the ball away with his right hand to a ball going to his left thus losing valuable inches extra stretch.
Are you serious?! His position was fine & he stretched with the correct hand. I thought he was assumed & calm with the ball at his feet, the one cross he had to deal with he took well and then immediately distributed well. The major plus point however, was his communication & organisation of his defence.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Are you serious?! His position was fine & he stretched with the correct hand. I thought he was assumed & calm with the ball at his feet, the one cross he had to deal with he took well and then immediately distributed well. The major plus point however, was his communication & organisation of his defence.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here