Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Sheff W

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Manager needs to take stock after this first competitive game, rabbits in the headlights at times, playing like strangers, putting up an apologetic hand when a pass went astray, it was going on everywhere. Players out of position, poor set plays no imagination and four losses in five games, its becoming habitual already. I'm not bed wetting, its what I saw yesterday and what I saw in the pre season. A bad debut for Sami, he seriously needs someone to score some goals and win a game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he was to far off his line and went for the ball with his right hand, the ball went to his left so using his left would have given him an extra 15 ins to perhaps reach it. Other than that I thought he did well and put the goal down to lack of match practice and a bit rusty

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Stockdale - 6 - Distribution questionable, had very little to deal with
Bruno - 6 - Looked realtively solid
Calderon - 5 - What was his position today? He spent most of the game as an ineffective, attacking left sided midfieder. It was like watching Adam Virgo in Mickey Adams' second spell.
Greer - 7 - MOM - Solid and showed more heart than anyone. Loved his attacking cameos
Hughes - 6 - Good debut but the had very little to trouble someone of his class
Ince - 6 - Hot and cold so a lukewarm 6
JFC - 5 - Gets the ball in space, overhits his first touch, has to commit a professional foul to stop Wednesday being clean through. :ffsparr: Had brighter moments too to be fair.
Crofts - 4 - Stupid red which ultimatly nullified our chances of getting back into the game. Better pushed right up behind the frontman in my opinion.
KLL - 5 - Tame shot when put through, did nothing to convince me he is anything more than an impacrt sub (yet again)
Fenelon - 3 - No idea why he started. Hope he gets more chances but he looked completely out of his depth today. Tuesday night would make sense. A Chris McPhee of a performance
O'Grady - 6 - Grafter. Did well to get the shot away for Westwood's one troublesome moment,

CMS - 5 - Did nothing of note, nothing at all
Buckley - 5 - Ditto
Agustiein - 2 - I found his first couple of touches really refreshing as he tried defence splitting passes (something that we had lacked all game) which didn't quite come off. Then he tried and failed again...and again..and again..and again...

Agree with all of this in the main. Ince had a very good first half and faded in the second.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Surprised by the high score KLL got here.

I heard a few comments yesterday that he's a one trick pony.

I'm still trying to work out what that trick is?? Shockingly poor player. Maybe scrape by as an impact sub running at worn out full backs, but he's a waste of time starting.

Is he capable of getting the ball, running forward and making a pass!

If Sami's sytle to to break quickly, I think Kaz had better start looking for another club.

Very slow to counter attack, and picked the wrong pass every time.

Why does he have to do a complete turn everytime he gets the ball. Seriously, my dog turns less when he sniffing out a place to have a dump!!

Not surprised he falls over so easily. Poor ***** probably dizzy!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Stockdale - 7
Bruno - 6
Hughes - 8
Greer - 8
Calderon - 6
Lua Lua - 6
Ince - 5.5
JFC - 3
Crofts - 5.5
COG - 7.5
Fenelon - 4.5
Buckley - 4
CMS - 6.5
Agustein - 5.5

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Stockdale 7. Love him. A real personality, a MUCH better distributor of the ball than last season. No chance with the goal
Bruno 4. As usual, out of position for the goal. No discipline.
Greer 6. OK.
Hughes 7. Played well. Solid if unspectacular
Calderon 6. Tried hard. But it's going to be another season of being better than Bruno but not playing.
Ince 5. Poor, would like to see Toko get a run tomorrow
Crofts 5. Mainly anonymous. Silly tackle for his red and should have no complaints.
JFC 4. Still looks a bit out of his depth and his yellow could have been a red.
Lua Lua 7. Tried his hardest to make something happen but still looks to be atapting to his new role
Fenelon 4. 1st start so won't judge too soon but if I were Buckley, I'd be having a long hard look at myself to be second choice behind Fenelon at this stage.
O'Grady 7. Looked strong, direct and intelligent. Could be a key player this season

Subs:
Agustein 1. And I'm probably overrating him there. Charged with making something happen and did virtually nothing
Buckley 4. Just looks lost
CMS 6. Thought he did ok actually. Could form a good partnership with O'Grady if given the chance.

Not a great game. 0-0 would have been fairer. I though we looked extremely light in central midfield though. Lacked experience and creativity. That said, some positives in Stockdale, Hughes and O'Grady.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Stockdale - 6.5 - Apart from one I thought his distribution was really good
Bruno - 5.
Hughes - 7
Greer - 8
Calderon - 6
Lua Lua - 6.5
Ince - 7
JFC - 4.5
Crofts - 4.5
COG - 6.5 - looked ok, but isolated see last year
Fenelon - 4.5

Buckley -6
CMS - 5.5
Agustein - 5

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Shocking. Stockdale, Hughes, Greer, Kaz can hold their heads up. The rest? No. I exclude Fenelon because he is young and making his debut.

Adams MK2 performance. Unforgiveable frankly. And if ANYONE thinks that was acceptable then they need their bumps felt.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
A selected few
Stockdale 5 - no chance with the goal but kicking was Kuipersesque at best
Greer 7 - Could see how hard he was trying to push us forward in the second half
Crofts 4 - Was playing well until reckless tackle earned a deserved red
JFC 4 - Didn't notice he was on the pitch until he got bokked and should've been sent off too.
Lua Lua 5 - Good to see him play the full 90 but never really took his man on or looked the threat we know he is
O'Grady 7 - Looked good, held the ball up well and battled hard

Sheffield Wednesdays number 9 0 - Shocking, is he really a footballer?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yes, he faded away & looked awkward, much like the second half of last season. He's a prospect but needs direction

He looked extremely awkward actually. It was as if he'd grown six inches over the summer and could no longer coordinate his limbs properly!
He was hard working and has some great skills but actually seemed unhappy in his own body.

Everyone poor.

Best Ince

Worst Bruno, totally inept in everything he does a complete waste. Some are fooled by his little shows of skills but they never go anywhere.

Other than that couldn't be bothered to sum up.

Bruno appears to have come back at last season's standard... I reckon about 60% of his games are absolutely shocking and 40% are brilliant. TBH I'd rather not play him on those stats and I said the same last season.

Nope. Which is why I'm surprised he's getting so badly slated.

The only problem I saw with JFC was he got rattled early on and then looked in serious danger of picking up a second yellow right up until he was taken off. Nothing wrong in his football, but needs to be calmer.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Stockdale - 6.5 Looks a good acquisition
Bruno - 5 None of the flair but plenty of the petulance
Hughes - 7 Good home debut
Greer - 8 Much better defensively and distribution wise, but did I see you miss a big chance to equalise?
Calderon - 5 Stop gap only surely?
Lua Lua - 6 Did alright bearing in mind he's played out of position. Without him zero threat going forward
Ince - 7 Great first half then tired
JFC - 4 Got away with a reckless challenge, then saw us go down to 10 and committed another one. JFC WTF?
Crofts - 4 Throw the points away why don't you?
COG - 6 OK debut but you just have to put those chances away or we have to get someone else who will
Fenelon - 5 Looked completely out of his depth :(

Buckley -5
CMS - 5
Agustein - 4 When they are starving us of possession and running the clock down, you just gave the ball away needlessly

SH - Very concerned that the players we have that create our chances are being played out of position. Our wingers destroy full backs so play them there. Crofts gets a lot of goals from midfield if you play him central and forward not on the right.

Crowd - 1 Where was the support? What has happened to the North Stand?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
How is it, even though he was sent off costing us the game, and completely anonymous while he was on the pitch, Crofts is by some rated higher than other players.... ?

Ive said it before and I say it again, he is not a starting 11 player in my opinion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How is it, even though he was sent off costing us the game, and completely anonymous while he was on the pitch, Crofts is by some rated higher than other players.... ?

Ive said it before and I say it again, he is not a starting 11 player in my opinion.

Apart from the fact many people believe he was our best player prior to injury last season

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Stockdale 6 - kicking was a little dodgy but commanded his area well and had no chance with the goal.
Bruno 4 - constantly out of position. Frustrating.
Hughes 6 - solid and unspectacular.
Greer 7 - thought he was our best player. Dominant at the back, even against their giant no9, and weirdly popped up a couple of times in the box as an attacking threat.
Calderon 6 - played ok, caught out a few times but was willing to provide much needed width.
Ince 6 - broke it up well in the holding role, just got caught in possession a few times.
JFC 5 - started brightly but got worse as the game went on. Lost the ball too many times and was lucky not to be sent off.
Crofts 5 - originally I thought the red was harsh but on second viewing it was probably justified. Before then he'd bustled around well and seemed the only player willing to put a foot in, shame he overdid it.
LuaLua 6 - was positive and tricky but he's wasted centrally where it's crowded, needs to be played wide with space to exploit behind a full back.
Fenelon 4 - looked very nervous and needed to relax imo. Was positive and had good movement but panicked a bit on the ball. Could develop well given time.
O'Grady 6 - held it up well and worked hard. Should have buried his chance but it was a quality save tbf.

Agustien 3 - woeful.
Buckley 6 - changed the game with 10 men and sparked our 15 minute mini-revival by running at the defence. Created our best chance. Still our most destructive player when fit and on form.
CMS 5 - had little time but his first touch looks better and his movement and effort was good as always.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bruno 4 - constantly out of position. Frustrating.

Agree with you, but did he know what his position was? If he's now a wing back I guess he's expected to be up there with the attack, but I'm not sure he has the stamina to be attacking one moment and defending the next. However it would be nice if he ran back to his defending position rather than sauntering.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Agree with you, but did he know what his position was? If he's now a wing back I guess he's expected to be up there with the attack, but I'm not sure he has the stamina to be attacking one moment and defending the next. However it would be nice if he ran back to his defending position rather than sauntering.
Exactly. He's frustrating because on his day his technique and general quality is better than anyone else in our squad, he can take the piss for 90 minutes. But "his day" is not often enough. Saturday he was neither high up enough to provide width and get crosses in, nor deep enough to defend properly. Just constantly in no - man's land and showing no real urgency to try and do one or the other.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I never nomrally do this but I'm rather surprised the stick Ince has got so here goes (through my rather inebriated specs at the time)

stockdale 6 - dominated his area. A couple of passes to Caldy was off though.
Bruno 6 - Good first half. Looked to understand the new system but could have done with covering a little faster
Greer 7 - Assist for our best chance. Kept them quiet and wasn't at the fault for the goal.
Hughes 7 - Assured, even when playing a giant.
Calderon 6 - Struggled, but unfair to judge
Ince 7 MOM - First half was our best player, struggled when Crofts went off
JFC 5 - Stupid tackle when we were down to 10. Not enough accuracy in passing.
crofts 1 - Was covering for Bruno half the time, didn't cover for the goal, and being the mature player in midfield lost us the game with a terrible tackle. I had him as captain this year - I was very wrong.
Fenelon 4 - Tried but didn't fit the Solly hole.
COG 6.5 - Held the ball up well.
Lua Lua 6 - His link with Ince worked well but lacked the pass if he's going to play centre.

Buckley 4 - Once good pass could have changed the game. Last game for us?
CMS 3 - Didnt do a lot.
Augestien 3 - Was slow. Very slow. But we'd already lost our shape.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Are you serious?! His position was fine & he stretched with the correct hand. I thought he was assumed & calm with the ball at his feet, the one cross he had to deal with he took well and then immediately distributed well. The major plus point however, was his communication & organisation of his defence.

Totally agree - I thought his performance was a major plus point. Although some have said his distribution was awful, I thought he got the ball out constructively and quickly on occasion, and the two goalkicks which went straight out of play were inches away from being precision passes to the full-backs who were waiting for them - in fact one of them arguably (to Calderon) did not go out of play from where I was sitting in the South Stand - and if it did, it was close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here