Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - Southampton

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I thought Ulloa did really well, nice link up touches, good movement, looked sharp! A real positive for me.

Yes he did, but I thought he just didn't look match fit and that is understandable. He wasn't on the field of play long enough to get any higher rating. Roll on Saturday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Ryan 5 - fortunate.
Schelotto - 6
Bong - 5 - worried me yesterday, needed help throughout
Duffy - 8 - immense
Dunk - 7
March 5 - rarely delivers a decent cross, set piece delivery poor, great on the pen, but loses a mark for needless free-kick
Stephens - 6
Propper - 6
Izquierdo- 7 - looked dangerous but starved of the ball in the second half
Gross - 5 - off-form
Murray - 6

Ulloa - 6
Kayal - n/a - 20 mins too late for me.

Ref watch - saying it quietly but had a good game, even breaking up one of their attacks with an inadvertent touch!

Hughton - a few harsh comments. I would have taken a point before the game. Much better with two banks of 4. My criticism is around the use of subs, persistence of playing Solly and at the minute Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It won't happen but I'd like to see this line-up on Saturday:

Ryan; Schelotto, Dunk, Duffy, Bong; Kayal, Stephens; Knockaert, Propper, Izquierdo; Murray/Ulloa.

Let's get Stephens and Kayal back together, play Propper in his natural position, play fast wingers and full backs and go at West Ham. We're at home and they have NO PLAYERS FIT so let's really try and win.

In actuality what will happen is we'll end up with:

Ryan; Schelotto, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner; Stephens Propper; Knockaert, Gross, March; Hemed.

Then try and play out a tight 1-1 draw.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
re: Hughton. We conceded to a really poor set piece, after March needlessly gave away a free kick. (And for those who want to drop him - would AK have defended better).
Hard to see how Hughton could coach that out of the team. Apart from that Hughton's tactics and our defence ensured that Southampton had virtually no chances aside from that Ryan's faux pas. Hughton didn't spend the game with his hands in this pockets at all either metaphorically or over there on the pitchside.
Also the idea that wingers like March ,Izequierdo, Scheletto in the Prem shouldn't be defending when needed (or that other clubs use wing backs) or that teams don't go away looking to get clean sheets and win games on the counter are somehow unique and odd tactics for a bottom 14 Prem team that only boring Hughton persists with don't stand up.

We're 15th. Have (just) never been in the bottom three all season. And if we do stay up, and who thought it would be a walk in the park, it will be the odd point from last night that will be key.
Will Hughton get credit for that on here - lets see.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ryan 5 - looked frightened every time the call came near him.

Bong 6 held his own most of the game and worked well with Jose

Dunk 8 what a superb performance

Duffy 5 too inconsistent and starting to look a little out of his depth. Passing too slow and casual

Schelotto 6.5 caused saints huge problems in attacking positions

Stephens 7 one of his best games this season and that’s from his biggest critic

Propper 6 not sure what he did tonight others may see it differently

March 5 is a 45 minute man. Good in the first. Bang average in the second

Gross - 3 lazy, slow and is not what we need at the moment

Murray 7.5 very good performance given the woeful service he was getting.

Izqueirdo 6 better than March

Ulloa 6 - looked very sharp and a class above when he came on

kayal 6 - helped the midfield hugely when he came on. Allow Propper and Stephens the chance to press better. Should have been on at 70

Others

Hughton 5- tactics in the second weren’t great and substitutions were left too late
Corners - 7 much better!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
re: Hughton. We conceded to a really poor set piece, after March needlessly gave away a free kick. (And for those who want to drop him - would AK have defended better).
Hard to see how Hughton could coach that out of the team. Apart from that Hughton's tactics and our defence ensured that Southampton had virtually no chances aside from that Ryan's faux pas. Hughton didn't spend the game with his hands in this pockets at all either metaphorically or over there on the pitchside.
Also the idea that wingers like March ,Izequierdo, Scheletto in the Prem shouldn't be defending when needed (or that other clubs use wing backs) or that teams don't go away looking to get clean sheets and win games on the counter are somehow unique and odd tactics for a bottom 14 Prem team that only boring Hughton persists with don't stand up.

We're 15th. Have (just) never been in the bottom three all season. And if we do stay up, and who thought it would be a walk in the park, it will be the odd point from last night that will be key.
Will Hughton get credit for that on here - lets see.

Agree totally that our wingers HAVE to help their full backs in defensive duties.

Every other PL team works that way, as opponents try to overload opposing full backs with 2 on 1.

Some dreamers on NSC feel that only 'negative Hughton' uses his wingers in defence too.

I also agree that a point away at high spending, established PL Stains was a definite positive.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just back home, sat with the Saints supporters on the side as was invited by a friend:

Ryan.. 5 That wall you set up for the free kick was ridiculous, one in it and Isquierdo
wandering around behind him
Scholetto 6 Was better in defence, great runs but going nowhere, needs to learn to
cross the ball
Dunk 7 Did well, but was stretched by long in the first half
Duffy 6 Not sure if he's drunk or concussed, predictable and complacent
Bong 7 Got forward on anumber of occassions
Stephens 6 Passed the ball back a lot, but when the midfield is so light in numbers
he's going to be under pressure from the start
Propper 4 I've given him half a season and its not happening, I would like to know
how many times he actually touched the ball. He's being carried.
Gross 5 A poor game, never got into it, looked slow, second to the ball.
Isquierdo 5 Missed a sitter in the first minute, continually made the wrong choices,
tried to cut in ala West Ham and failed to take on the full back when he
clearly had the legs.
March 7 Worked hard, had several good runs, crossing not so special and got
booked, but he was up for it.
Murray 9 One almost everything in the air, held the ball, laid it off and supported in
defence, could not have done any more.

Ulloa/Kayal 12 minutes, whats the point Chris

Hughton 2 Some on here say that he would be the man to bring us back up if we were relegated, but he's the man that will put us down. Southampton were poor in the first half, but as predicted,we score and the order goes out to defend for an hour. Becoming really tired of the same old negative tactics, invitably we concede. Two points lost tonight without a doubt, sorry to say it but Hughton is a Championship manager with a Premiership team. How long will we have to endure this. he gets 2 from me for standing on the sidelines with his hands in his pockets.

Good morning Solly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought Ulloa did really well, nice link up touches, good movement, looked sharp! A real positive for me.

He did well and looked pretty bright given he's barely played all season.. Some calls for him to start on Saturday but can't believe he's match fit yet and anyway Murray had another good game winning a lot of flicks, held it up and spun his man a few times. But service was thin.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
A Saints fan on the way Home suggested that we were the worst team he had ever seen in the premier league. On that performance he might be right. A good point gained, but awful performance

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
CH is a great championship manager, If the team is winning and flying like last year gives his players freedom to play. Unfortunately in the premiership he is frightened of losing and he does not trust his players. They are good players being stifled by a manager who is asking the players to play with no freedom. Come on Chris lets go at teams especially at home, give us a chance until it is too late. Trust in yourself as well as the players.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why is anyone surprised at the tactics by hughton?

We all know that he started the season with 38 points. His mindset is that he wants To finish with at least 38 points. So therefore, especially away from home at the moment, he sets the team up to keep the 1 point.

By some fluke, we managed to get ahead and suddenly we have gained 2 points.

So, his mindset kicks in and he now thinks, if we defend like hell for the next 80 minutes, they have to score two, and I back my team not to let two in.

For us fans it is frustrating...to him it is job done. He came away with his point in tact.

It is not as if we didn't know this was coming. Newcastle and Norwich both got rid of him as the fans fell out with his style of football. So as we all love him apart from a few vocal fans on here, we are to put up with this.

Which then brings us back to our signings.....we have signed two out and out strikers...BUT we struggle with three wingers and Suttner and schelotto to get decent balls into the area for an centre forward. So I assumed when we brought ulloa that he would compliment Murray upfront...but looking at last night, no...he is there to replace him when he or hemed gets tired. Gawd knows why we bought the other guy if we are not going to play 2 or three up front, especially at home.

It will be interesting this weekend how we play against the shites from London. If we play one up front, we will lose. The shites are a decent team and we need to be at them for at least 80 % of the game, not sit back and hope the goal comes our way at some time.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hear hear to that.

Don't agree with Murray as MOTM as he had offsideitis again, but sadly I couldn't pick an alternative candidate. March had a nightmare, I'd stick him down to 4/10. Else pretty much spot on.

Although he wasn't on for long, I did get the impression last night that Ulloa understands the offside rule better than Murray...... or at least can work better with it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We all know that he started the season with 38 points. His mindset is that he wants To finish with at least 38 points. So therefore, especially away from home at the moment, he sets the team up to keep the 1 point.

So, his mindset kicks in and he now thinks, if we defend like hell for the next 80 minutes, they have to score two, and I back my team not to let two in.

For us fans it is frustrating...to him it is job done. He came away with his point in tact.

It will be interesting this weekend how we play against the shites from London. If we play one up front, we will lose. The shites are a decent team and we need to be at them for at least 80 % of the game, not sit back and hope the goal comes our way at some time.

Well We played one up front against them away from home and thumped em so how did that happen ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ryan 5 - looked frightened every time the call came near him.

Bong 6 held his own most of the game and worked well with Jose

Dunk 8 what a superb performance

Duffy 5 too inconsistent and starting to look a little out of his depth. Passing too slow and casual

Schelotto 6.5 caused saints huge problems in attacking positions

Stephens 7 one of his best games this season and that’s from his biggest critic

Propper 6 not sure what he did tonight others may see it differently

March 5 is a 45 minute man. Good in the first. Bang average in the second

Gross - 3 lazy, slow and is not what we need at the moment

Murray 7.5 very good performance given the woeful service he was getting.

Izqueirdo 6 better than March

Ulloa 6 - looked very sharp and a class above when he came on

kayal 6 - helped the midfield hugely when he came on. Allow Propper and Stephens the chance to press better. Should have been on at 70

Others

Hughton 5- tactics in the second weren’t great and substitutions were left too late
Corners - 7 much better!

I thought Gross worked his arse off first half, the ground he covers is amazing. I expect if you looked at his stats, he wouldn't be far off the player that ran the most last night. Ineffective maybe especially into the 2nd half, a bit slow yes, not lazy though. If he is aware he is the one likely to come off on 70mins, then he is definitely making sure he's got nothing left in the tank.

Murray, did okay, but too many offsides, and sometimes he is just slow to react to get into positions instinctively that would help out his team mates – Ulloa for example did this much better when he came on, he seemed to be more available.

Corners – do you mean conceded or taken? I thought the corners we took were shocking, so I assume you meant the corners we defended.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There is simply no way on Earth that Hughton will start Murray and Ulloa this weekend. It will be one of them with Gross behind.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that could happen given what we have seen so far.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A Saints fan on the way Home suggested that we were the worst team he had ever seen in the premier league. On that performance he might be right. A good point gained, but awful performance

All of the Saints fans I spoke to yesterday reckon they were rubbish and are on the way down..... and I went with three.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Ryan 5 - As I was right behind the goal, I noticed that he doesn't command his area at all. Couple of times, the ball looped in and would've been easy enough to come out and catch but was left to Duffy/Dunk to head it away (probably straight to the opposition, again)

Schelotto 6
Duffy 7 - Looked better than recent times, but that doesn't say too much
Dunk 7 - Solid
Bong 5.5 - Don't think he offered much and would rather have Suttner there at this moment in time

March 6 - Odd game, really good bits (winning the penalty, couple of free kicks) but some really bad bits as well
Propper 5
Stephens 6
Izquierdo 6

Gross 5
Murray 7.5 MOTM

Kayal 6
Ulloa 7

Hughton 4 - Frustrating as always. Make changes earlier and when you have 1 sub left to use with Knockaert and Baldock sat there on the bench and don't use it, it is baffling.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

It is not as if we didn't know this was coming. Newcastle and Norwich both got rid of him as the fans fell out with his style of football. So as we all love him apart from a few vocal fans on here, we are to put up with this.

Which then brings us back to our signings.....we have signed two out and out strikers...BUT we struggle with three wingers and Suttner and schelotto to get decent balls into the area for an centre forward. So I assumed when we brought ulloa that he would compliment Murray upfront...but looking at last night, no...he is there to replace him when he or hemed gets tired. Gawd knows why we bought the other guy if we are not going to play 2 or three up front, especially at home.

It amazes me how so many people on here seem to have a forensic knowledge of what is going on in Mr Hughton's brain.

On more than one occasion I have heard him express disappointment at the way we failed to attack with any teeth, which seems to give the lie to an all out defensive mindset. I also can't help thinking that Southampton have some decent players, people who are capable of coming up with a moment of sublime skill, like Boufal for instance. maybe we did well to contain them.

And although Norwich seem a bit negative about him, Mike Ashley has admitted it was a mistake to sack Hughton.... when they were 8th(?) in the Premier League, and he is always very well received when he goes back up to the North-east.

I have a nephew who is a Birmingham City supporter - another one of CH's former clubs. The week we announced his appointment, I got a 4 word text from Matt which just said "Chris Hughton - Good manager".

Let's just see how the rest of the season goes, with more attacking options. I share the view already expressed on here by some that Ulloa's brief cameo last night was promising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here