[Albion] Player ratings Brighton vs Burnley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Actually clueless people advocating throwing him into a home debut against a team like Burnley. Duffy wasn’t great, but no worse than Veltman or even Cucurella who’s was garbage.

And by not giving Roberts a chance to shine we lost 3-0... yep, it was a masterstroke to go with our tried and tested but visibly rusty Irish wild man... who decided to undermine the confidence of his GK in a game against a team of bully boys... hmmmmmmmm.

So not that a 'clueless' suggestion really, was it? Even if the result had ended the same, there was probably slightly more of a chance that Roberts would have learned something from it, well... more than Duffy has evidently managed over the past 5 or so seasons.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The midfield that started no better than 4s in my opinion. Bissouma was a 3 at best as his mind seemed
to be elsewhere. Lamptey just checked back every time he received the ball when he had the beating of the RB. Cucurella wasn't much better.

Defence seem disorganized but that is probably down to the enforced changes.
Due to a total lack of service the frontline had nothing to feed off
Bad day at the office need to dust themselves down for week

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And by not giving Roberts a chance to shine we lost 3-0... yep, it was a masterstroke to go with our tried and tested but visibly rusty Irish wild man. Who decided to undermine the confidence of his GK in a game against a team of bully boys... hmmmmmmmm.

So not that a 'clueless' suggestion really, was it? Even if the result had ended the same, there was probably slightly more of a chance that Roberts would have learned something from it, well... more than Duffy has evidently managed over the past 5 or so seasons.

...is a very hindsighty take.

Duffy was probably the best player in the previous game against Burnley and looking at his attributes, its the perfect match up really.

If someone had made a poll before the game, "Do you want Duffy or Roberts to deal with Weghorst?"... I'm pretty sure there would be very few votes for Roberts.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Robert Sanchez 6 - Could not do a lot with the goals. This was the day when every time Burnley shot turned to goals. This won’t happen to them again this season. They are going down, down, down.
Tariq Lamptey 4 - By his own standards, he was horrific. Never seemed to take a player on. Passed it back at every opportunity or lost it. His worst performance in a Albion shirt by a mile. He has never been as bad and won’t be again.
Joel Veltman 6 - He was bang average. But didn’t work well with Duffy.
Shane Duffy 3 - Fighting with Sanchez? What an idiot. Couldn’t bring the ball forward, only a back 3 player when everyone is fit. Why give him the captain’s armband when Lallana went off? And the second goal? Take a look at yourself Shane!
Marc Cucurella 7 - Not at his best but better than most of the team. Above average.
Yves Bissouma 6 - Fine but never got into the game. Worried so much about the back 4, he never strayed forward.
Adam Lallana 6 - Pretty average.
Jakub Moder 5 - Ineffectual.
Alexis Mac Allister 7 - The class of the midfield. Kept fighting. This guy has a massive future.
Danny Welbeck 5 - Had no clue of how or where to play today.
Neal Maupay 6 - No support or team shape to help him.

Subs
Solly March 6 - Slowed play down as useful and didn’t cross straight away.
Leandro Trossard 5 - No real affect. Dull.
Evan Ferguson N/A - Did he touch the ball?

Potter 3 - Like a solar eclipse, so rarely darkens our doors like he did today. All his fault, Dyche mastered him.

I don’t think it was that Lamptey didn’t want to take his man on, I just think Dwight McNeil played him better than anyone else I’ve seen. He was excellent, Lamptey got no change out of him whatsoever.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Duffy was probably the best player in the previous game against Burnley and looking at his attributes, its the perfect match up really.

If someone had made a poll before the game, "Do you want Duffy or Roberts to deal with Weghorst?"... I'm pretty sure there would be very few votes for Roberts.

Bu I do have the benefit of hindsight and I'm choosing to exercise it ... lol.

That, and Duffy was borderline unprofessional, not hindsight - fact. Next time around, I'd give the nod to the young man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think it was that Lamptey didn’t want to take his man on, I just think Dwight McNeil played him better than anyone else I’ve seen. He was excellent, Lamptey got no change out of him whatsoever.

It’s a worry that McNeil matched Lamptey for pace on a couple of sprints and that Lamptey looks like he has lost quite a bit since his injury. He seems scared to knock the ball past and run at pace since he came back. Still has the skills but the pace? Hmmm

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
To be fair I think he was covering Veltman who was very uncomfortable on the left.

But like 10 others he was poor.

Yes he was constantly worried where Veltman was in my opinion. Very shaky centre half pairing. However, as you said nobody had a good game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bu I do have the benefit of hindsight and I'm choosing to exercise it ... lol.

That, and Duffy was borderline unprofessional, not hindsight - fact. Next time around, I'd give the nod to the young man.

How is it a fact ? Maybe it was Sanchez that was borderline unprofessional….or, more likely, both or neither :shrug:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Tariq has barely taken his man on on the outside once since he came back from injury. The opponent is irrelevant

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sanchez 5.5
Cucurella 5.5
Veltman 6.5
Duffy 4
Lamptey 5.5
McAllister 6.5
Bissouma 5
Lallana 6
Moder 6
Welbeck 6.0
Maupay 6

March 6
Trossard 5.5
Ferguson 5

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Looked like Tariq and Cucu were both scared to try and beat their man because if it didn't come off they would leave Velts and Duffers exposed. Biss was offering no protection, not snapping into tackles and not acting as willing receiver when our back two/Sanchez were looking to play he ball out. Can't see Biss starting the next game unless something in his head gets sorted.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Looked like Tariq and Cucu were both scared to try and beat their man because if it didn't come off they would leave Velts and Duffers exposed. Biss was offering no protection, not snapping into tackles and not acting as willing receiver when our back two/Sanchez were looking to play he ball out. Can't see Biss starting the next game unless something in his head gets sorted.

Agree - but I think some credit to Burnley, they really did well in preventing both Cuca and Lampts doing their thing. Missing Dunk and Webster was huge today - I thought both Veltman and Duffy struggled. I do wonder if Dunk hadn't been incorrectly sent off and suspended if the result would have been different. That decision has really cost us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree - but I think some credit to Burnley, they really did well in preventing both Cuca and Lampts doing their thing. Missing Dunk and Webster was huge today - I thought both Veltman and Duffy struggled. I do wonder if Dunk hadn't been incorrectly sent off and suspended if the result would have been different. That decision has really cost us.

This.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Yes - this concerns me. It used to be such a part of his game, and it seems not to be there now.

This. I think it's possible that the serious injury may have played on his mind since. No blame to him for that but GP needs to use his skills to get him back to his best. Everyone had an off day today but it was noticeable how restrained we were in attack. Fear of mistakes is not something we usually see in our team. I also agree that Biss is not at his best which just makes everyone even more nervous.

Hopefully with Webster and Dunk returning we will be back to our best against Villa.

And Weghorst’s goal didn’t come from Duffy’s side of the defence but from the guys on the left. But they are well-liked players so won’t get the “wild Irish” insults

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes. If you don’t get tight on Tariq, and offer him space he’s relatively easy to play. I don’t McNeil did anything special.

Yes, I think other teams have worked out how to play Tariq - they forced him to play back most of the time and he found it difficult to get into positions where he could take them on

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Biss totally disinterested. Marc and Tariq timid and fearful, of what I don't know. Forwards power puff. Duffy an easy scapegoat, yes he made an error but also some good blocks and Dunk and Web have been poor of late too. Potter's worst performance that I've witnessed. Credit to Burnley.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a strange game Would never be surprised to see Burnley sitting back and getting a win but never expected to see us outplayed like that. As our most skillful player that can do something different would never leave Trossard out at home. Moder has been our best attacker in no 10 role for last few games and most likely to score so what does Potter do. Plays him out wide. Very strange. Think for this one as team as a whole we were so poor so blame must go to Potter and maybe praise to Dyche. Most disappointing thing was was no improvement in 2nd half
Sanchez 4
Lamptey 4 very poor defending and didnt get a look in upfront
Duffy 4 Hope we dont see this CB pairing again
Veltman 4 As above
Cucurella 5 Poor defending just a little better than Lampty going forward.
Bissouma 5 One player that could have lifted us but didnt
Moder 4 Contributed little but why wasnt he in no 10 role where he has looked outstanding
Mac 5 Contributed little
Lalana 4 Game passed him by
Welbeck 5 Contributed little but always have sympathy for forwards when midfielders dont get near
Maupay 5 As above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports