Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings Brighton - Newcastle

Jul 25, 2021
Quite so. That is why when teams lose too often it is usual for them to move on.

It's just part of the game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and in our case, sometimes you draw.

No matter how scientific and technical people want to explain the reasons for dropping points in football, the reality is, it's a game where chance plays a big factor and players have good and bad days. That's really it when it comes down to playing games.

I think Sky sports has drilled into a lot of its viewers heads a way of analysing football which couldn't get anymore cringe. It's being analysed as if the performance was all pre-orchestrated and written out the night before. What's worse is we're seeing the same crap being spouted out by your everyday football fans now. "The defenders should've been pushing more forward so the wingbacks can open up space for the Quarter-back to open the channels for the false nine to get in behind the line and use a high press to nullify the oppositions counter attacks, enabling us to play a wider style and forcing them into a tight touch game plan"

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Much has been made on here (quite rightly) of Lallana's miss in the 2nd half, but I felt the turning point in the game was Cucurella's missed header.
It was the simplest of chances, even Harry Redknapp's wife would have scored that (you youngsters won't understand that reference!) and it came at a time we were clearly on top and piling on the pressure.
2-0 at that point and I truly believe we would have gone on to win the game comfortably.

Scores:

Goalkeeper: Not big Bob's finest 90 minutes ........ 4

Defence: Newcastle showed the least ambition of any team to visit the Amex in a long long while, yet we still managed to allow them to score. Faced with a flat back 5 protected by a flat defensive midfield 4, it was never going to be easy to open them up, but Sanchez to Duffy to Dunk to Sanchez to Duffy to Dunk to Sanchez to.......:yawn:
There must have been a better AND QUICKER way....... Dunk 5. Duffy 5. Veltman 4.

Wing Backs: Tariq was good, Cuccu not so good, but I'd still pick both of them for the next game ..... Lamptey 6.5. Cucurella 4.5

Midfield: Mwepu went in for a challenge in the first couple of minutes and proceeded to limp for a little while afterwards. He then managed to disappear from the game completely. Co-incidence? It might explain his non-performance? Biss was strangely subdued the entire game, not rubbish, but almost anonymous like. AL was very good in the first half, but joined the rest of the slumbers 2nd half, and really should have got his pass on target. Solly was never in the game. Not our Midfield's best game...... Mwepu 3. Lallana 5.5. Bissouma 5. March 4

False Attackers: Tross was the only player to trouble the Geordie back 9. It was even more noticeable when he dropped back into the middle to give Maupay the front role, because he suddenly became totally ineffective and fitted in nicely with the rest of the midfield..... Trossard 7 MOM

Substitutes: Argie Mac was excellent up at Leicester and I was really pleased to see him come on at half time to replace Mwepu. What a let down. Totally and absolutely anonymous. Maupay instead of March also seemed a good idea at the time, but Maupay was never going to achieve anything against a 9 man defence. We became noticeably more forward thinking when Webster came on, and actually began to push Newcastle back deeper, but it was too late by then the game was virtually over, until big Bob injected some added time excitement to proceedings ...... MacAllister 3.5. Maupay 4 Webster n/a too little minutes.

Overall Team Performance: 4/10 (we didn't lose).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Much has been made on here (quite rightly) of Lallana's miss in the 2nd half, but I felt the turning point in the game was Cucurella's missed header.
It was the simplest of chances, even Harry Redknapp's wife would have scored that (you youngsters won't understand that reference!) and it came at a time we were clearly on top and piling on the pressure.
2-0 at that point and I truly believe we would have gone on to win the game comfortably.

Scores:

Defence: Newcastle showed the least ambition of any team to visit the Amex in a long long while, yet we still managed to allow them to score. Faced with a flat back 5 protected by a flat defensive midfield 4, it was never going to be easy to open them up, but Sanchez to Duffy to Dunk to Sanchez to Duffy to Dunk to Sanchez to.......:yawn:
There must have been a better AND QUICKER way....... Dunk 5. Duffy 5. Veltman 4.

Wing Backs: Tariq was good, Cuccu not so good, but I'd still pick both of them for the next game ..... Lamptey 6.5. Cucurella 4.5

Midfield: Mwepu went in for a challenge in the first couple of minutes and proceeded to limp for a little while afterwards. He then managed to disappear from the game completely. Co-incidence? It might explain his non-performance? Biss was strangely subdued the entire game, not rubbish, but almost anonymous like. AL was very good in the first half, but joined the rest of the slumbers 2nd half, and really should have got his pass on target. Solly was never in the game. Not our Midfield's best game...... Mwepu 3. Lallana 5.5. Bissouma 5. March 4

False Attackers: Tross was the only player to trouble the Geordie back 9. It was even more noticeable when he dropped back into the middle to give Maupay the front role, because he suddenly became totally ineffective and fitted in nicely with the rest of the midfield..... Trossard 7 MOM

Substitutes: Argie Mac was excellent up at Leicester and I was really pleased to see him come on at half time to replace Mwepu. What a let down. Totally and absolutely anonymous. Maupay instead of March also seemed a good idea at the time, but Maupay was never going to achieve anything against a 9 man defence. We became noticeably more forward thinking when Webster came on, and actually began to push Newcastle back deeper, but it was too late by then the game was virtually over, until big Bob injected some added time excitement to proceedings ...... MacAllister 3.5. Maupay 4 Webster n/a too little minutes.

I've just trawled through the entire thread, and this is the one that most aligns with my thoughts. Lallana played OK, but needs to be marked down for his miss.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's just part of the game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and in our case, sometimes you draw.

No matter how scientific and technical people want to explain the reasons for dropping points in football, the reality is, it's a game where chance plays a big factor and players have good and bad days. That's really it when it comes down to playing games.

I think Sky sports has drilled into a lot of its viewers heads a way of analysing football which couldn't get anymore cringe. It's being analysed as if the performance was all pre-orchestrated and written out the night before. What's worse is we're seeing the same crap being spouted out by your everyday football fans now. "The defenders should've been pushing more forward so the wingbacks can open up space for the Quarter-back to open the channels for the false nine to get in behind the line and use a high press to nullify the oppositions counter attacks, enabling us to play a wider style and forcing them into a tight touch game plan"

Yeah, they should probably just run around randomly.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I have waited till this afternoon to return to the forum as i thought it would be an absolute binfest after yesterday ! Pleased to find that it is not as bad as i feared however this particular thread to me seems to have been much more influenced by the result of the match than the actual performance .
Most of the squad rated at 5 or less , seriously !
Don't deny i too am bitterly disappointed but if Trossard's shot had squirmed through the goalkeepers legs OR Cucurella's header found the far corner OR Lallana's placement been better and NOTHING else changed and we had won 2-1 would all these ratings have been this low . I personally don't think so .
I now wait for the inevitable cascade of criticism and possibly abuse and indeed am reaching for the tin helmet as i type this !
Just hoping i can find at least one fellow fan who can understand my viewpoint !

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

Scores:

Great post! More or less exactly as I saw it.

Last edited:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I have waited till this afternoon to return to the forum as i thought it would be an absolute binfest after yesterday ! Pleased to find that it is not as bad as i feared however this particular thread to me seems to have been much more influenced by the result of the match than the actual performance .
Most of the squad rated at 5 or less , seriously !
Don't deny i too am bitterly disappointed but if Trossard's shot had squirmed through the goalkeepers legs OR Cucurella's header found the far corner OR Lallana's placement been better and NOTHING else changed and we had won 2-1 would all these ratings have been this low . I personally don't think so .
I now wait for the inevitable cascade of criticism and possibly abuse and indeed am reaching for the tin helmet as i type this !
Just hoping i can find at least one fellow fan who can understand my viewpoint !

For what it’s worth, I would certainly be more in your glass half full camp. Think most of the scoring very much reflects the poorness of our second half performance rather than a more considered view of the whole match.

Thought we were borderline excellent in the first half and a second goal would undoubtedly have seen us home against a pretty poor Newcastle side.

Not quite sure what was said at half-time but most of our players seemed to completely lose the plot afterwards and the substitutions made things worse rather than better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
dunno where Cucurella's head was on Sat. prob dreaming of the barbers. lots ability but his concentration and focus was way off.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
A lot of what you say there is true. Particularly disappointed with Cucurella who, after showing us his sublime left foot since he joined, showed last night that he has no right foot and can't head. I hope it's a one off and not the reason he went from Barca to Getafe to Brighton.

But no mention of Potter's tactics? Those were wrong last night, plain and simple. Why use the same tactics against sides like Man City and Liverpool who will press but attack you, against Newcastle who just sat back in a bank of five and bank of four? There was no space for midfielders to run into so utilising the false nine really wasn't paying off, March for Moder didn't work and, when Lamptey inevitably wriggled free, he had no one to cross it to. Yes, Trossard had a very good looking game but so often he was dropping deep to get the ball or dribbling round the whole of their team (very well) because he had no support or run ons and had to create the space himself.

Three things summed us up last night. 1) For the last 25 minutes of the second half they just let Duffy have it in our half and we just gave it to Duffy. I don't think we had a shot in that time. 2) Very poor Mwepu comes off. MacAllister comes on and is far, far worse. That's players AND tactics / substitutions. 3) Sanchez looked every inch the inexperienced keeper he still is. We all knew that this would happen at some point and hopefully the break will do him good because I think, like you, the alternatives are not great IMO.

spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here