Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings Albion vs Brizol Rovers?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ankergren 7 Not at fault for any of the goals distribution good as usual firmly No 1 keeper.
Calderon 5 Not one of his best performances and was stopped by their left sided midfield player from getting forward more.
Greer 6 Usual performance nothing special no problems
El Abd 6 Mr Reliable as usual.
Painter 5 Poor performance by his high standard,
Bennett 6 Good performance but tired
Battipedi 6 Did the job he was expected to efficiently with no frills.
Dicker 5 Mixed game some very good moments biut not consistent some poor moments
Kishishev 8 Just edged MOM with some good passes and breaking up of attacks.
Wood 7 Promising debut used his body strength to win and shield the ball. Good penalty.
Barnes 5 Got into good [positions but once again not clinical enough with his finishing.

Subs:

Murray 6 Showed that we missed him in the 1st half did well to roll the player for the penalty.
Smith 5 Did virtually nothing when he come on as does not attack the man wide enough not a performance to make him favourite to start on Tuesday
Elphick 5 Nothing special nothing wrong but got his 5th booking which he should have done a couple of weeks ago.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought casper has some iffy moments, in the first half the ball was high in the air and when it came down he eventually made an uncertain move for it and slapped at the ball unconvincingly, then he made a good save, that led to a corner from which they scored. It looked like he didn't even bother, but listening to the commentary it took a deflection, so I won't blame him for that one, in the second half he made another good save, but I thought he could have done a lot better with the second goal. Maybe it was just the angle I was looking at but it looked like he was under no pressure, the ball was in front of him and he could have taken a step or two forward and neutralised the threat, but he just stood that.

Despite being more of a fan of Brezovan, I still don't think his error merits him being dropped, but he needs to improve (same can be said about the team as a whole).

I thought the first half was messy. We were trying the cross field too much, we weren't giving our players easy passing options, but despite this we limited them to only a couple of attacks, and they scored from one.

In the second half it was a much improved performance, more short options, and we largely dominated, yet despite this dominance and some threatening attacks it never really felt like we had that killer goal scoring touch.

I think Dicker gave the ball away so much simply because he was involved so much. If you make 100 pass attempts, you're likely to give it away more often than if you make 5 attempts.

I think Wood could be good, not sure he had enough time before the game to really get in the system.

I was especially frustrated in the first half that a lot of players were making great runs into space and behind the defenders and instead of a 1-2 pass that keeps the momentum of the attack going, the ball was played across the pitch, giving Bristol a chance to get back, pick up the running player, and stifle us. We really need to show more awareness of these runs, and/or make better decisions when they are options there.

I disagree with the phone in caller who criticised Gus's subs. We weren't making that final goal scoring touch and needed to change things. Unfortunately, Gus had to use his final substitution on Greer, so didn't get the opportunity to bring on a defensive minded midfielder, and I don't think that the absence of a defensive minded midfielder is any sort of excuse for such terrible defending for that corner.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Ankergren 5
Painter 5
Greer 6
El Abd 5
Calderon 8
Bennett 7
Battipiedi 4
Kishischev 7
Dicker 8
Wood 6
Barnes 6

Subs

Murray 7
Smith 7
Elphick 6

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Ankergren 6 - brilliant save in each half but not at all commanding in his box
Calderon 6 - did not exploit the space he had enough
Greer 6 - reasonably solid
El Abd 7- fully committed
Painter 6 - reasonable performance
Bennett 7 - at the heart of what we did well
Kishishev 7 - pulled the strings
Battipiedi 7 - am i the only one to think, bar the first 10 mins he had a good game?
Dicker 6 - worked hard
Barnes 6 - likewise
Wood 6 - came in to it more as the game wore on.

Subs:

Smith 7 - laid three chances on a plate for strikers
Murray 7 - usual standard, livened things up
Elphick 6 - did reasonably well

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Flappergren 4, rest 5’s or 6’s except Murray 7 and Dicker 8, still 16 points from safety and hopefully the last couple of games might wake a few people up to realise that play-offs/promotion have not been won, they have to be worked for, and there is still a very long way to go.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I thought casper has some iffy moments, in the first half the ball was high in the air and when it came down he eventually made an uncertain move for it and slapped at the ball unconvincingly, then he made a good save, that led to a corner from which they scored. It looked like he didn't even bother, but listening to the commentary it took a deflection, so I won't blame him for that one, in the second half he made another good save, but I thought he could have done a lot better with the second goal. Maybe it was just the angle I was looking at but it looked like he was under no pressure, the ball was in front of him and he could have taken a step or two forward and neutralised the threat, but he just stood that.

Despite being more of a fan of Brezovan, I still don't think his error merits him being dropped, but he needs to improve (same can be said about the team as a whole).

I thought the first half was messy. We were trying the cross field too much, we weren't giving our players easy passing options, but despite this we limited them to only a couple of attacks, and they scored from one.

In the second half it was a much improved performance, more short options, and we largely dominated, yet despite this dominance and some threatening attacks it never really felt like we had that killer goal scoring touch.

I think Dicker gave the ball away so much simply because he was involved so much. If you make 100 pass attempts, you're likely to give it away more often than if you make 5 attempts.

I think Wood could be good, not sure he had enough time before the game to really get in the system.

I was especially frustrated in the first half that a lot of players were making great runs into space and behind the defenders and instead of a 1-2 pass that keeps the momentum of the attack going, the ball was played across the pitch, giving Bristol a chance to get back, pick up the running player, and stifle us. We really need to show more awareness of these runs, and/or make better decisions when they are options there.

I disagree with the phone in caller who criticised Gus's subs. We weren't making that final goal scoring touch and needed to change things. Unfortunately, Gus had to use his final substitution on Greer, so didn't get the opportunity to bring on a defensive minded midfielder, and I don't think that the absence of a defensive minded midfielder is any sort of excuse for such terrible defending for that corner.

This is a cracking assessment of the game. Spot on.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
This was my first game for a while. Can't be bothered to do the whole team, but just want to add to the Dicker debate. I can kind of see both sides, if I was doing a mark for Dicker, I really wouldn't know what it would be. At times he looked like a 9, being the glue that held everything together, at times a 4 or 5.

Was anyone else though, REALLY excited by Murray and Wood together? I like Barnes, and I can see how hard he works for the team, but Murray and Wood seemed to link up so, so well, almost instinctively, having probably only just met yesterday. Or am I just over-egging it?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As an aside.

I don't think Wood has been playing regular football for Barnsley, has he ? He looked sluggish to me as if he's lacking match fitness. Several times he was beaten to the ball from behind as he didn't come to the ball and the opposition player was just sharper. He's a huge lump for an 18yr old and I can see why he relies heavily on his strength.

Not meant as a criticism, just an observation and question about his match fitness/sharpness. Having said that, it was encouraging to see him come more into the game in the second half - and what a blinding pen !

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Ankergren 7 Not at fault for any of the goals distribution good as usual firmly No 1 keeper.Calderon 5 Not one of his best performances and was stopped by their left sided midfield player from getting forward more.
Greer 6 Usual performance nothing special no problems
El Abd 6 Mr Reliable as usual.
Painter 5 Poor performance by his high standard,
Bennett 6 Good performance but tired
Battipedi 6 Did the job he was expected to efficiently with no frills.
Dicker 5 Mixed game some very good moments biut not consistent some poor moments
Kishishev 8 Just edged MOM with some good passes and breaking up of attacks.
Wood 7 Promising debut used his body strength to win and shield the ball. Good penalty.
Barnes 5 Got into good [positions but once again not clinical enough with his finishing.

Subs:

Murray 6 Showed that we missed him in the 1st half did well to roll the player for the penalty.
Smith 5 Did virtually nothing when he come on as does not attack the man wide enough not a performance to make him favourite to start on Tuesday
Elphick 5 Nothing special nothing wrong but got his 5th booking which he should have done a couple of weeks ago.

Cost us two points IMO for being rooted to the spot for the second goal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Must have been watching a different game Dicker was dire in the first half, his passing was woeful. He was poor in both cup games as well.Needs a rest in my opinion, but it is game of opinions.:lol:

Fair play mate - it is just a diff opinion. I thought Dicker looked f***ed in extra time on Tues and agree he should be rested for the FCU game.

I also thought Calde was great today. Wood looked fairly ordinary IMO - not quick enough to the ball. Better 2nd half though. Not judging Wood yet tho

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Calde was good, especially with that pacey kiddy, on his back pretty much the whole game, so I thought he done very well.
Dicker, Acker79 made a great comment about how involved he was today. Everything was going to him, it just seemed like he gave it away because he had so many passes to give.
Wood, still reserving judgement, but I thought he held the ball well today, and same nice touches to go with it. For an 18 year old, he's got major potential.

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Ankergren - 5 - few flappy punches
Painter - 6 - not his best game
Greer - 6 - seen better from him
El Abd - 5 - couple of mistakes that nearly cost us
Calderon - 6.5 seen him play better
Bennett - 7 - typical Benno performance
Battipiedi - 6 few moments where he showed good potential, but also a few where he gave the ball away
Kishischev - 8 - solid, gets us out of trouble
Dicker - 7 - tricky one.. showed moments of pure magic, but quite a few silly passes
Wood - 8 - This lad look's excellent, maybe not the goal scorer we need? But superb linking play
Barnes - 6.5 - makes good runs, which creates chances, once he and Wood get to know each other, they will be a cracking pair

Subs

Murray 6
Smith 6.5
Elphick 6

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think Ankergen could have got to both those crosses if he had taken the lead weights off his ankles... if he was then even touched by an attacker it would have been a freekick .... shot stops spot on .... Crosses into the area heart attack time on every one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here