Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season discussion

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Should scrap it this year and give them all a Granada TV, they all deserve one.
IMG_1429.JPGIMG_1429.JPG

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk for me - has been very consistent this year and that is consistently excellent, he (and Duffy) are one of the main reasons why Stockers has kept so many clean sheets. Dunk has made the odd gaff and rash tackle but not many and his passing and driving forward has turned games. AK has gone walkabout too many times , had he been able to keep the top form we would have walked this division. Stockers at start of the season was a bit flakey and that mistake against Forest cost us the game and yes he has done some outstanding stops including penalty saves that have helped win games.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like Knocky will get league player of the season but might not win our vote!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Tough Call - Stockdale, Bruno, Duffy, Stephens, Knockeart, Murray, Baldock would all be worthy winners that would be hard to argue against but for me -

Lewis Dunk :thumbsup:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Simply couldn't decide, so created a random number generator to choose between Stockdale, Dunk, Duffy, Bruno, Knockaert, Murray & Baldock. It chose Baldock. Yep, that's just fine.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
We've had so many stand out performers that this is going to be more difficult than ever. Just a month to go now, who stands out?

I really am not going to complain at any of the regular starters at all - Hemed, Murphy, Skalak, Rosenior, Bong, Kayal, Sidwell - all absolutely superb, and all would walk into at least 20 starting XI this season I should think.

Stephens - has made us tick all season. If we go up, please Albion, get him signed up. He will be so difficult to replace.
Bruno - how can you not love this man? He oozes class. Make him club captain even if he is only cover in the division above.
Dunk - still has a lot to learn about self discipline but let's not underestimate his worth to this team. Consistently good performer all season, just like the previous five.
Duffy - who'd have thought he'd be so imperious after the first few games of the season for Blackburn and then us? What an upgrade. £4.5m very well spent, at a time when most fans were scratching their heads wondering why we needed to spend that sort of money in an area we had cover
March - what a prospect Solly is - just a joy to watch. He will play for England next season or the season after IMO, because he WILL do it at the highest level in the land.
Knocky - we've run out of superlatives for this guy. On his day, simply unplayable; and his day comes round pretty regularly. I think that covers it.

But here is my top three. Knocky would have been in there if his away form was marginally better:
3. Murray. Where would we be without his goals? Where would we be if Gus hadn't put his foot down over Murray's now proven justifiable wage demands? A Premier league striker who loves being here. There is nothing spectacular about Murray, he just holds the ball up brilliantly, and knows where the goal is. Everything you want in a striker. I loved Gus but watching Murray do in the Championship what we all saw he did for Gus in League One just boils my piss. Great player, great for us.
2. Stockdale. I reckon the number of his clangers over the entire season can be counted on one hand and we all know he has saved us many MANY points with some superb displays. Rumour has it Sir Chris isn't entirely convinced by him at the top level, but nevertheless it's hard to see Albion parting with him after a season like this one. This season, he has been the best keeper I've ever seen at the club.
1. Baldock. I've followed this club since 1978 and I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a player improve so much in a year and I don't think I ever will. This season he has just been magnificent. I spent all of last season trying to convince people on here he was the best forward we've ever had off the ball. I don't think anyone disagrees with that anymore, but this season his all round forward play has been almost perfect. He has taken chance after chance, and his montage of goals this season will be worth watching over and over again. And most of the goals he gets are important ones - not the third of four or whatever. His openers against Fulham and QPR both stand out as much as his wonderful off the ball running that creates space for others and are the main reason Murray and Knocky have scored so many.

Very intelligent assessment. I'm actually really struggling to decide who is POTS. They've all been exceptional at different times. Stockdale has been imperious, he's easily good enough for the top division. Murray has scored 20+ goals, the first time since Murray last scored 20+ goals for the season for us. I agree Baldock has been a revelation, the quality of some of his strikes has been incredible. Dunk and Duffy have been incredible. Maybe Dunk for me. We've got so used to the level of his performances but he has been so consistent and brilliant every single game. The guy is a serious talent, easily the best defender in the Championship, one of the best young English defenders for a long time. I love March too, another major young English talent. I can't wait to see them play at a higher level

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I have to return because I forgot to mention Sir Anthony Knockheart. Sorry Anthony. He's been the most creative spark for us all season, a true talent, definitely good enough for the premier league. I still on terms of consistency, week in, week out give Lewis Dunk my vote for POST but Knockheart, Baldock. Murray, Duffy, Stockdale have all run him very close

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Dunk for me - has been very consistent this year and that is consistently excellent, he (and Duffy) are one of the main reasons why Stockers has kept so many clean sheets. Dunk has made the odd gaff and rash tackle but not many and his passing and driving forward has turned games. AK has gone walkabout too many times , had he been able to keep the top form we would have walked this division. Stockers at start of the season was a bit flakey and that mistake against Forest cost us the game and yes he has done some outstanding stops including penalty saves that have helped win games.

I too voted for Dunk for the reasons stated above, but it was a close call. Murray, Stockdale and Duffy next in line closely followed by Knockaert ... only his lack of consistency kept me from voting for him.

Actually it would be a very good idea to give "Player of the Season" to the entire squad this time around 'cos it's the squad what did it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What would be weird would be if Knockaert didn't win it, seeing as he won the accolade for the whole Championship! My son voted for him and I voted for Dunk.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What would be weird would be if Knockaert didn't win it, seeing as he won the accolade for the whole Championship! My son voted for him and I voted for Dunk.

Not much different to Bruno making every team of the year going last season and Kayal making none.

I like Kayal, don't get me wrong, but last year's POTS result was incorrect.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not much different to Bruno making every team of the year going last season and Kayal making none.

I like Kayal, don't get me wrong, but last year's POTS result was incorrect.

At least Bruno had the consolation of some of his fan boys adopting his look in tribute :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe there are 2 contenders but neither will get it Stockdale and Dunk but Knockhaert will get it because he looks better with his skill and is a fans fav disregarding the times he hangs on to the ball just that 1 move too long.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I voted for Stephens, personally. I think, of all of them, he's the one we miss most when he's not there, even if it's not always in-your-face obvious. (Sometimes it is, though - can you imagine that performance at Huddersfield happening with him in the side? In fact, three consecutive games conceding three goals without him in the team Jan/Feb including that one).

Baldock is a very strong call too, but players like them don't often win awards of this type - strongly suspect Knocky will win it. Given how exciting he is to have in the team, how hard he works, and what he's been though this season, it'd be pretty difficult to begrudge him the award.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with whoever suggested it goes to all of them this season, though. So many of them have been absolutely outstanding over the long haul that it does seem slightly harsh to single one of them out.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I voted for Stephens, personally. I think, of all of them, he's the one we miss most when he's not there, even if it's not always in-your-face obvious. (Sometimes it is, though - can you imagine that performance at Huddersfield happening with him in the side? In fact, three consecutive games conceding three goals without him in the team Jan/Feb including that one).

Baldock is a very strong call too, but players like them don't often win awards of this type - strongly suspect Knocky will win it. Given how exciting he is to have in the team, how hard he works, and what he's been though this season, it'd be pretty difficult to begrudge him the award.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with whoever suggested it goes to all of them this season, though. So many of them have been absolutely outstanding over the long haul that it does seem slightly harsh to single one of them out.

Agreed. I can't even remember who I voted for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here