Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season discussion

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah do you know what - I think Stockdale should win the ****ing thing.

That string of penalty saves was obscenely filthy. He's utterly TALISMANIC. He's marshalled the meanest defence in the entire league. And he will also be the first person to say "This isn't for me - the whole team won this."

Loads of others could deserve it, but my heart lies with Stockers for this one.

Well put. Go on then, I'm in as well

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's always hard to judge, even as a ST holder as the majority of us only really see the home games. But for me, it's one of Knocky, Dunk or Murray, with honourable meantions to Stockdale, Duffy, Stephens and Baldock.

How Hemed, Skalak or March are being mentioned in a post about POTS is a bit beyond me though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I actually don't think there should be an individual Player of the Season award this year. On the nameboard, where it says "Player of The Season, 2016-17" it should just say "All of them"

EDIT: And like Simster, I hadn't see a previous thread on this subject.

Like this a lot. So very difficult to choose.

But can we make a slight amendment to read:-

"All of Them (except Akpom)"

Thank you

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't forget the Bruno leadership role and influence. Also, his early season stand in performances as a central defender.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No doubt about it - Glenn Murray gets my vote - his goals and presence have made that vital difference to last season.

Indeed, one of the reasons Baldock has improved so much is playing alongside Glenn week in, week out.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's so hard to choose. There isn't really a standout player from all the standout players. With that in mind, who's the player we miss the most when he doesn't play? Baldock - see Saturday for example. He therefore gets my vote.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Like many others, this guy gets my vote (for the second season in a row).

Stockdale would get my vote.......way above the rest, that video proves how important his saves have been and some of them are fantastic saves dare I say 'worldies'. Really hoping he can give us as much in the next seven games but even so he has done enough to justify POTS easily.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's a ruddy hard one to decide, this. Some utterly stirling, and stirring, performances throughout the season, but in pieces. Perhaps the winner then is one of regularity, rather than the spectacular. And that surely has to come for one of our clean-sheet addicted backline. I suppose Stockers has performed the quite astonishing too though. I was thinking of Bruno, in part thanks to an eternal love - I am honestly still gutted that the Madrid pre-season trip had me meet JFC and Ashley Barnes, whilst seeing Orlandi and a beardless Bruno saunter off to the hotel, untouchably - , and Dunk for how much he has come through and matured as a ball-playing, freekick-straight-at-the-keeper-taking centre half of increasing value, but maybe Stockers for his penalty saves, and gentlemanliness.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Ince's stats are irrelevant to this vote. Yes, I was tempted to vote for Stockdale for his clean sheets and penalty saves, but Knocky just tipped the balance for me. I only have one vote, you use yours as you see fit.

I wasn't trying to change your mind. The point about Ince was more that it's an example of another wide player with great stats whose club are not competing at the top, it requires a lot more than that … which disproves fans from other clubs suggesting that we are a 'one man team'.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Duffy for me. He epitomises everything this team has become. We needed a real fighter and he is it, gets his head on every ball and never pulls out of a challenge. Bit like a proper centre half of years gone by.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Duffy for me. He epitomises everything this team has become. We needed a real fighter and he is it, gets his head on every ball and never pulls out of a challenge. Bit like a proper centre half of years gone by.

Agreed - great to see..............and incredibly, that's exactly what Uwe has done in the last couple of games as well. Incredible after so long out.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Agreed - great to see..............and incredibly, that's exactly what Uwe has done in the last couple of games as well. Incredible after so long out.

Without doubt Uwe has been outstanding. Remember saying to others a few weeks back that it's imperative we keep The 'Double D's' on the pitch and when Duffy was injured I thought we would struggle but Uwe has been fantastic since he came in.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Disappointed that Bruno didn't win it last year. He won't win it this year either.

Still at least he's in with a shout for next year.
What a player he is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Definitely Stockdale. 20 odd clean sheets, massive saves at crucial times, kept us in games so many times when we have not been at our best. He has been the platform that has made the rest of the team shine.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think it has to be either Knocky or Murray...... simply because they both turned many matches our way.... all season long... without either of them I don't think we would even be in the top 4.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The two we really miss when they're not available are Baldock and Stephens imho. For that alone they're in the running. I'd add Dunk for consistency and Murray for weight of goals and his defending from the front.
Don't know how I'd vote between them - possibly Baldock or Dunk...suspect that Murray will win the popular vote though, 20-plus goals is no mean feat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here