Player hunt on hold

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
paddy said:
Where is your evidence that MM has been a successfull manager in the transfer market?

Dodd, CKR, Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, McShane....

The Large One said:
I never said any such thing. You go and find where I said we have zero pulling power and the lowest of the low. I didn't even insinuate it. What I did say was that too many fans over-stated our stature.

Do not put words into my mouth.

WTF? I didn't accuse you of blaming me for our current predicament. Where does it say that? f***ing hell, can't you read and understand basic written English. If I piss you off, it's your fault because you didn't properly read or understand what I posted.

Point is, I do support the club at every turn, from organising Forty Notes events, to supporting players' testimonials, buying season tickets, buying club merchandise, go to away matches, sponsoring players' kits, defending the manager and chairman on here (often at the expense of finger-point by some on here). At the risk of sounding like an uberfan (I draw the line at going on the Costa Express), does this sound like someone who doesn't support the club?

Surely a reality check into where our club really lies in comparison to others in this division is not so damning?

Lies in comparison to what? Our pulling power? You did say that people were deluded to think that we are one of the biggest clubs in League One. Not because of our pulling power or ability to attrcat players because of our facilities.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
You insinuated it...
Good f***ing grief.

NO, I DIDN'T.

I replied to this...

I would have thought that Brighton would be quite a desirable club considering we are one of the biggest in League 1.

by saying this...
One day, people will wake up from this deluded fantasy and realise this statement simply is not true.

Now, where is the insinuation that we are lowest of the loew and have zero pulling power?

Les Biehn said:

How was Dodd a sucess he was injured most of last season!
Reid yes he has been a success. Currie was a godd deal too.
How was Carole a success, we pay and agent for him, pay his wages he doesn't contribute that much to last season and he goes on free transfer to Leeds!
Frutos, the jury is still out on that one. Not sure about Mc Shane and CKR either.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
WTF? I didn't accuse you of blaming me for our current predicament. Where does it say that? f***ing hell, can't you read and understand basic written English. If I piss you off, it's your fault because you didn't properly read or understand what I posted.

Point is, I do support the club at every turn, from organising Forty Notes events, to supporting players' testimonials, buying season tickets, buying club merchandise, go to away matches, sponsoring players' kits, defending the manager and chairman on here (often at the expense of finger-point by some on here). At the risk of sounding like an uberfan (I draw the line at going on the Costa Express), does this sound like someone who doesn't support the club?

Surely a reality check into where our club really lies in comparison to others in this division is not so damning?

I think you are the one that needs to get realistic about the relative merits of our club versus others in the lower divisons... just my opinion... I humbly withdraw the accusation that you are not a supporter, but reserve the right to criticise the manager for his failings... supporting the club and the manager are too very different things... sometimes sacking a poor manager is in the interests of the club...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Potentially we are bigger than say Crewe but iof you were a player and you had the choice between two teams with roughly the same crowd but one had a proper stadium and the other had a converted athletics track who would you choose? This situation is why we are not one of the biggest clubs in this division.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Les Biehn said:

McShane - loaned from Man U, all players at Man U go through intensive scouting so he was bound to be good.

Dodd - hardly successfull, spent most of his time on the treatment table, therefore not a worthwile investment.

CKR - Hasn't improved under McGhee at all. Does display raw talent which McGhee has FAILED to develop.

Carole - recomended by and agent, McGhee hardly discovered him.

Frutos - A decent signing by McGhee.

Reid - A decent signing.

Currie - A good signing.

That is a pretty bad record and most of those signings were significantly influenced by other members of staff ans couts, e.g Carole.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
You're making this up as you go along. It is not evidence in the slightest.

Well, it is not evidence as in legal evidence, but it is the best we have to go on... you offer nothing to counter the view that MM is the problem...

Les Biehn said:
Potentially we are bigger than say Crewe but iof you were a player and you had the choice between two teams with roughly the same crowd but one had a proper stadium and the other had a converted athletics track who would you choose? This situation is why we are not one of the biggest clubs in this division.

Steve Coppell dispproved your theory above.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Southover Street Seagull said:
Lies in comparison to what? Our pulling power? You did say that people were deluded to think that we are one of the biggest clubs in League One. Not because of our pulling power or ability to attrcat players because of our facilities.
There are a whole host of reasons into our pulling power. Some people blame (wrongly in my opinion) Mark McGhee. Others the facilities, others the current stadium, and our future stadium problems. Some the mere fact we struggle to match the wages of others. There is even a small point of our geographical location (I wonder if Carlise moan about this point?).

Whatever, a whole host of issues spring up to make us, in comparative terms, fairly unattractive.

That doesn't make mean I am knocking the club, far from it, just pointing out a few unfortunate facts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Pack it in the pair of you. If Dichio didn't want to pay for Mark McGhee, the club would not have even bothered to make a bid for him. We would have known it right from the start.

Present me with the evidence that MM was purely the reason for Dichio not coming - and I don't mean that circumstancial nonsense you two agree upon. All you and BW have done is put two and two together and come up with 18.

And you offer NOTHING in your defence of MM...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
But Paddy the point is people are saying that MM can't attract players yet all these players came to the club under his management. For me the most telling is Dodd, ok it didn't really work out but it was still a bit of a coup to get him in the first place. Also saying that that other staff members and agents are the reason players came here is a pretty weak argument, so Coppell and Adams never consulted their back room staff or had agents offer them players?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Seb Carole
Alex Frutos
Paul McShane
Wayne Henderson (sometimes)
CKR

Now list his failures in the transfer market... I think you'll find this list is a tad longer...

The Large One said:
There are a whole host of reasons into our pulling power. Some people blame (wrongly in my opinion) Mark McGhee. Others the facilities, others the current stadium, and our future stadium problems. Some the mere fact we struggle to match the wages of others. There is even a small point of our geographical location (I wonder if Carlise moan about this point?).

Whatever, a whole host of issues spring up to make us, in comparative terms, fairly unattractive.

That doesn't make mean I am knocking the club, far from it, just pointing out a few unfortunate facts.

I agree with some of your points. I don't entirely blame McGhee for our poor transfer activity. I also recognise that it is difficult to attract players dwon here with the poor facilties. But as I said before this didn't stop Steve Coppell.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Southover Street Seagull said:
Steve Coppell dispproved your theory above.

How? Do you not realise how lucky we were to get Coppell? Look where he is now, does that not tell you what a fortunate appointment that was as in our position we should not really expect to be getting managers of that calibre.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
Now list his failures in the transfer market... I think you'll find this list is a tad longer...
So you wish to judge him purely on transfers that didn't turn out a success?

I am sure it may be a longer list, but it also would disprove your theory about players not wanting to come here because of him.

Last edited:

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:

So in reality, your blaming everything but MM. That is a completely irresponsible attitude. Many other managers have had to and are dealing with the same and even worse situations yet thay consistantly perform better than MM in the transfer market. He has to take much of the blame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports