Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player hunt on hold

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think it's fairly well noted that Coppell is a better manager all round than McGhee, but that does not make McGhee a bad manager, nor does the accusation that players don't come here because of him stand up either.

Last edited:

The Large One said:
And then came Bellotti and Archer...

Point is, and it is fairly obvious, we will be able to fulfil so little of our potential until we get our stadium.

What I am trying to say is that Liam Brady wouldn't have gone to the likes of Oldham, Brenford, Doncaster etc etc. All clubs in League One that we are bigger than.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
'So far out of line'? What, there's a party line set by you that I must tow?

Who the f*** are you to accuse me of knocking the club at every turn (a complete and utter LIE) especially when you can't even do something as BASIC and OBVIOUS as support the manager?

Is your ego that tender and pathetic that you can't listen to another supporter say that the club is not that big? Diddums. We are in deep, deep, deep shit, and still sinking. The majority of clubs in this division have bigger and better pulling power - and you want to pin the blame on one person?

Of course, I'm a true supporter. What a f***ing stupid question.

You just p1ss me off with your constant suggestion that our club has zero pulling power... when the evidence is there for all to see... other managers have managed to sign good players, why not MM?... you are knocking the club by repeatedly saying we are the lowest of the low, even in league 1... what is worse?... knocking the club, or pointing out aa oh too obvious weakness of the current manager?...

I didn't and don't blame you for our current predicament (as you incorrectly suggest in your quoted post), but I do object to you constantly doing your own club down... in my view, that is not supporting the club...

Act like a supprter then...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
No, it isn't.

Blackpool
Bradford
Bristol City
Huddersfield
Millwall
Northampton
Nottm Forest
Oldham
Port Vale
Swansea
Tranmere
Yeovil

To me, that lot have far more clout than us, other we may be on a par with.

Well, that is your OPINION... congratulations on your negativity... :clap:

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Southover Street Seagull said:
Millwall a richer club yes. A bigger club than us? No.
If we had the ground their size we would get far bigger attendances than they got last season.
The only manager that you can compare McGhee like for like is Steve Coppell. When he joined us he had less time to prepare than McGhee had last season and yet he brought in some useful players. He nearly kept us up, in fact I beleive that if he had the job from the start of that season we would have stayed up. Fact is McGhee is one of the reasons why players won't come here.

Spot on. People have got to stop mistaking the size of our ground for our reputation and standing.

The Large One said:
I think it's fairly well noted that Coppell is a better manager all round than McGhee, but that does not make McGhee a bad manager, nor does the accusation that players don't come here because of him stand up either.

McGhee is a poor manager in my opinion, the only thing that makes me look forward to this season is that Wilkins is 1st team coach.
As I or probably you do not move in football club circles we are never going to truly know whether McGhee is or isn't one of the reasons why players come or don't come to this club. The only way I can show that I think tha McGhee is one the problems with attracting players to this club is by comparing him with Coppell.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The Large One said:
You've just made the point yourself.

A third/fourth (whatever it's called) manager, re-assembling a third/fourth division squad, all of whom won championship medals with him. How hard would that be to re-assemble? Fair enough that he did it, but that's not pulling power, that's re-grouping for more of the same.

McGhee came from Millwall, a bigger and richer club than us. You can see them champing at the bit to leave there for a pay-cut and loss of facilities.

But they were all good players who had won a Championship at a club with a better ground and facilities, And Micky persuaded them to come to play at the Withdean when the capacity was at it's lowest and facilities at they're worst. Not to mention the likes of Paul Roger's being tempted away from Wigan.

We keep on about the stadium being a major factor in signing players. But McGhee has got the biggest capacity and best facilities we've ever had at the Withdean, but he seems to find it harder to attract players than any previous manager we've had there. The question I ask is why?

Is it the club being ultra tight with money?

Or has McGhee got a bad reputation in the game, And players don't want to play for him?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
What proof do you have for that?

The comparison between MM's performance in the transfer market and that of Adams and Coppell, for example... what proof do you have that the reverse is true?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
And then came Bellotti and Archer...

Point is, and it is fairly obvious, we will be able to fulfil so little of our potential until we get our stadium.

Now... that is something I agree with... doesn't make us a small club tho, does it...

The Large One said:
No, it isn't.

Blackpool
Bradford
Bristol City
Huddersfield
Millwall
Northampton
Nottm Forest
Oldham
Port Vale
Swansea
Tranmere
Yeovil

To me, that lot have far more clout than us, other we may be on a par with.

Having clout at the moment because they have better facilities than us is different to being bigger clubs than us. But one I did miss out that we are on a par with is Huddersfield, my apologies to them!

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:
What proof do you have for that?

Taking managers out of the equation, would a player rather move to Yeovil or Brighton? Brighton.

Put managers back into the equation, would a player rather move to Brighton or Yeovil? Yeovil, because they know they are more likely to improve there.

There is the proof.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
British Bulldog said:
But they were all good players who had won a Championship at a club with a better ground and facilities, And Micky persuaded them to come to play at the Withdean when the capacity was at it's lowest and facilities at they're worst. Not to mention the likes of Paul Roger's being tempted away from Wigan.

We keep on about the stadium being a major factor in signing players. But McGhee has got the biggest capacity and best facilities we've ever had at the Withdean, but he seems to find it harder to attract players than any previous manager we've had there. The question I ask is why?

Is it the club being ultra tight with money?

Or has McGhee got a bad reputation in the game, And players don't want to play for him?

On the tight with money thing, Dick made a point of stating that money was not the problem with Dichio... more eveidence that the problem is MM...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
You just p1ss me off with your constant suggestion that our club has zero pulling power... when the evidence is there for all to see... other managers have managed to sign good players, why not MM?... you are knocking the club by repeatedly saying we are the lowest of the low, even in league 1... what is worse?... knocking the club, or pointing out aa oh too obvious weakness of the current manager?...
I never said any such thing. You go and find where I said we have zero pulling power and the lowest of the low. I didn't even insinuate it. What I did say was that too many fans over-stated our stature.

Do not put words into my mouth.

B.W. said:
I didn't and don't blame you for our current predicament (as you incorrectly suggest in your quoted post), but I do object to you constantly doing your own club down... in my view, that is not supporting the club...

Act like a supprter then...
WTF? I didn't accuse you of blaming me for our current predicament. Where does it say that? f***ing hell, can't you read and understand basic written English. If I piss you off, it's your fault because you didn't properly read or understand what I posted.

Point is, I do support the club at every turn, from organising Forty Notes events, to supporting players' testimonials, buying season tickets, buying club merchandise, go to away matches, sponsoring players' kits, defending the manager and chairman on here (often at the expense of finger-point by some on here). At the risk of sounding like an uberfan (I draw the line at going on the Costa Express), does this sound like someone who doesn't support the club?

Surely a reality check into where our club really lies in comparison to others in this division is not so damning?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
B.W. said:
On the tight with money thing, Dick made a point of stating that money was not the problem with Dichio... more eveidence that the problem is MM...

Spot on, all the financial terms were in place and had been agreed between Dick and the player. He then decides to back out, why? Its because of MM.

People just can't handle the fact that the old excuse of financial restrictions is wearing thin. It is a coverup for the fact we have a manager who is inept in the transfer market.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
paddy said:
Taking managers out of the equation, would a player rather move to Yeovil or Brighton? Brighton.

Put managers back into the equation, would a player rather move to Brighton or Yeovil? Yeovil, because they know they are more likely to improve there.

There is the proof.
Simply not true. Supposition based on a flimsy pre-judgement.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:
You're making this up as you go along. It is not evidence in the slightest.

Where is your evidence that MM has been a successfull manager in the transfer market?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
paddy said:
Spot on, all the financial terms were in place and had been agreed between Dick and the player. He then decides to back out, why? Its because of MM.
Pack it in the pair of you. If Dichio didn't want to pay for Mark McGhee, the club would not have even bothered to make a bid for him. We would have known it right from the start.

Present me with the evidence that MM was purely the reason for Dichio not coming - and I don't mean that circumstancial nonsense you two agree upon. All you and BW have done is put two and two together and come up with 18.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I never said any such thing. You go and find where I said we have zero pulling power and the lowest of the low. I didn't even insinuate it. What I did say was that too many fans over-stated our stature.

You insinuated it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here