Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play-off Away Leg - Hillsboroough 13/5/16

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
If you want to avoid the city centre, keep on the M1 as far as J35/35a/36 - come off at any of those and drop down via Grenoside. Parking is a bit of an issue - there is the Wednesdayite Car Park on Penistone Road (opposite the Kop) but it can get busy and don't expect a speedy getaway. There's street parking but don't take your chance on pavements or grass verges as Sheffield City Council love an opportunity to take £35 off your hands and big crowds at S6 sends them into a ticket issuing frenzy.

If you need any more details of routes to the ground, shout up

Ok thanks. Would you risk going through the city centre then and coming off a J33?

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Ok thanks. Would you risk going through the city centre then and coming off a J33?

Depends how close to 7:45 you plan on getting there. If I'm going to be getting to Hillsborough earlyish, the A61 (Derek Dooley Way, off the Parkway) is the most direct and straightforward route. Closer you get to kick off, the more likely you are to be queuing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you want to avoid the city centre, keep on the M1 as far as J35/35a/36 - come off at any of those and drop down via Grenoside. Parking is a bit of an issue - there is the Wednesdayite Car Park on Penistone Road (opposite the Kop) but it can get busy and don't expect a speedy getaway. There's street parking but don't take your chance on pavements or grass verges as Sheffield City Council love an opportunity to take £35 off your hands and big crowds at S6 sends them into a ticket issuing frenzy.

If you need any more details of routes to the ground, shout up

Cheers, duck!

(Men from Sheffield calling other people, even other men, "duck" is easily my favourite thing about that part of Yorkshire. EASILY :clap2:).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have a ticket for Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression tour at Albert Hall (great album) on Friday, which was a great present for my Birthday. I have already given up a UK Subs ticket for this event they are playing Sticky Mikes the same night. Its summer and you get these clashes - I am sure Sussex are playing 20 20 that night away as well.

I would defiantly go and I am very envious of all that can, its only Iggy thats stopping me, I think I will record it, go on a media black out and watch it back live when I get in.

Was very tempted by that Iggy Pop (& the Queens of the Arctic Monkeys Age) gig on the strength of the fantastic new album, even had it in the diary.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Depends how close to 7:45 you plan on getting there. If I'm going to be getting to Hillsborough earlyish, the A61 (Derek Dooley Way, off the Parkway) is the most direct and straightforward route. Closer you get to kick off, the more likely you are to be queuing.

Ok thanks. I can only leave St Albans by 3:30 so I think i'll be running fairly close to the line.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Secured my ticket yesterday.

Missed out on Charlton and 'Boro, so thought yes, give it go.

Will be half way there ,as will be in Chesterfield Thursday night.

Going to stay the Friday night in Sheffield, or maybe to whole weekend.

Love the pubs in Sheffield, so will be checking a few out.

Up the Albion!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Was very tempted by that Iggy Pop (& the Queens of the Arctic Monkeys Age) gig on the strength of the fantastic new album, even had it in the diary.

Sold out in seconds - as its the only one they play as that line up in the UK - looking forward to it, the albums excellent

UK SUBS play in Brighton if anyone needs a distraction

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
A copy and paste of what I wrote when [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] started this thread a week ago is below. I'll add to that being the first leg also takes potential fans away from going as nothing is settled. If this were the second leg they'd have been snapped up quickly. Anyway, my original post is below:

Started talking about this with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] on the train home last night. The fact is, there is absolutely no reason why I couldn't go, but I really don't think I would, although that could just be a symptom of the current mood of flatness I have.

I was up there for the league game this season and it was a bloody long journey home with 50mph restrictions and closed motorway sections aplenty. I think I got home around 4am in the end.

Given the distance involved, a Friday night is massively more awkward to attend than a Saturday and will reduce our away following significantly. You can't get there and back on the train, so you'll need to either stay over or drive and leave at lunchtime on Friday, involving time off work and the like.

Finally, 2,500 people are making the commitment of getting up to Boro with many taking time off work on Friday to do so, and others spending small fortunes on train fares.

I'm waffling. 2,000 feels about par to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only had 1,500 or so.

I was going to say similar but I was too lazy to type it to be honest.. Still think we should sell out the 2K once it goes on general sale.

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Cheers, duck!
I

(Men from Sheffield calling other people, even other men, "duck" is easily my favourite thing about that part of Yorkshire. EASILY :clap2:).

Haha, I suppose it is quite disconcerting for newcomers to be greeted with "duck" or the even more particular to Sheffield "love".

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Ok thanks. I can only leave St Albans by 3:30 so I think i'll be running fairly close to the line.
My Aylesbury (that's not too far away?) based mate travels up for evening games regularly - leaves at 3:30, safely parked up by 7, but that doesn't take Friday M1 Traffic Hell + heavier than usual match day traffic into account. Good luck getting here on time but obviously not for the match itself, hope that you have rotten luck for that

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
My Aylesbury (that's not too far away?) based mate travels up for evening games regularly - leaves at 3:30, safely parked up by 7, but that doesn't take Friday M1 Traffic Hell + heavier than usual match day traffic into account. Good luck getting here on time but obviously not for the match itself, hope that you have rotten luck for that

Yeah that's pretty close. Would you recommend doing J35 and down route rather than J33? Seems fairly sound logic to miss out the city centre

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
I can vouch for the fact that the M1 between Leicester and Sheffield can be a nightmare on a Friday evening. I'd advise trying to be north of J22 before 5pm at the latest if you can - 4pm would be even better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here