Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plastic Albion Fans

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I couldn't help feling slightly irretated when many of my classmates who support United and Chelsea were celeberating the win last night as if they had supported us for years. One even commented on how well we were playing so far this season, which just about summed it up for me.

It feels to me that I and the other 4000 odd Hardcore fans really earned what happened last night, for turning up every week to Wihdean and that my classmates were just jumping on the bandwagon, and probably won't come to another game at Withdean this season. I know it was good for the club, but it pissed me off all the same.

Anyone else found or felt this?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I couldn't help feling slightly irretated when many of my classmates who support United and Chelsea were celeberating the win last night as if they had supported us for years. One even commented on how well we were playing so far this season, which just about summed it up for me.

It feels to me that I and the other 4000 odd Hardcore fans really earned what happened last night, for turning up every week to Wihdean and that my classmates were just jumping on the bandwagon, and probably won't come to another game at Withdean this season. I know it was good for the club, but it pissed me off all the same.

No, I left school in 1986.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
maybe the United fans were happy because their local rivals lost?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
maybe the United fans were happy because their local rivals lost?

Most of them don't even know about the rivalry between them and city, as they have never been to Manchester. In their eyes any game against Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool is a MUCH, MUCH bigger game.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Glory-hunting BASTARDS

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
disagree. I'm a sth and all I felt last night towards the first timers was pride and happiness. First timers, part timers, glory hunters and the plain curious were treated to the sight of a grown man in an expensive suit dancing and cheering just like I did in the fa cup semi final in 1983 when I was 13.

Those people you dislike helped make the atmosphere for what was an unforgettable game. So there

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

get used to it, i went to blatch, probably the closest (bar hove park upper but that's half a school) school to the goldstone, and there were about 5 albion fans in my whole year - probably less than 30 regulars in the whole school. this was when we played at gillingham and everybody used to take the piss out of us.

and there was a manchester united shop on western road to contend with too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If it wasn't for the plastics last night, Withdean would just have been the usual morgue-like atmosphere we get every other week. I hope they saw something last night that makes them want to come back.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Most of them don't even know about the rivalry between them and city, as they have never been to Manchester. In their eyes any game against Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool is a MUCH, MUCH bigger game.

i'd have thought the MANCHESTER part gave it away, unless they support the club from the well know town of UNITED!!

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
disagree. I'm a sth and all I felt last night towards the first timers was pride and happiness. First timers, part timers, glory hunters and the plain curious were treated to the sight of a grown man in an expensive suit dancing and cheering just like I did in the fa cup semi final in 1983 when I was 13.

Those people you dislike helped make the atmosphere for what was an unforgettable game. So there

You wore an expensive suit when you were 13? Tory BASTARD.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If we can't attract "plastic" fans (f***ing stupid term though that is) then there is no point in building Falmer. All very silly.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
i guess it would annoy me in the same situation but as people have said, without them, there would have been 3,000 less people.

I got annoyed at the play off final, when there was this song playing on the PA system before kick off at Cardiff, I stood up, sung the words to it with all my heart, I was so proud at that moment to be a Brighton fan.

Then some fan sat directly infront of me told me to sit down and stop singing, and asked me what the song was

I said it was called Sussex by the Sea, and this was the greatest moment of my Albion supporting life

The guy then said, well you wouldnt get this nonsense in the premiership.

From then said, well its "f***ing brighton" and ive been doing it all my life. I made a point of singing LOUDLY in his ear throught the whole game

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And don't forget not everyone falls neatly into the category of first-timers. Lapsed fans, occasional fans, people who don't get to attend but have gone to great lengths to be at that game.

Did it mean more to people who sat through Scunthorpe and Walsall -and other similar miserable games in years past? Probably it did. Would the experience have been anything like last night's if there had only been the 4,000 diehards? No it wouldn't. So you got a better night too.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If it wasn't for the plastics last night, Withdean would just have been the usual morgue-like atmosphere we get every other week. I hope they saw something last night that makes them want to come back.

Spot on.

As I walked out last night, a youngish dad was with his two children. As I walked past the lad turned to his father and asked "When can we come again please"

We NEED such people if we are even going to half fill Falmer.

Many there last night were probably not first timers, but just lapsed fans, exactly the sort we must have back in two years time.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It feels to me that I and the other 4000 odd Hardcore fans really earned what happened last night

Bollocks - you're jumping on the bandwagon.

Some of US had season tickets at Gillingham. WE deserved last night.

:jester: :jester: :jester:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I understand fully that the atmosphere would not have been anywhere near what it was yesterday had it not been for the part timers or newcomers, but what irratates me is people at my school talking about Brighton as if they have supported them all their lives, when in reality the vast majority of them will not go to another game at the Withdean this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here