Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
It isn't about that though is it? Nobody would try and justify his actions. On the assumption that this man's demons caused him to take control of that plane and deliberately fly it into the Alps then he's made a tragic mistake and a terrible decision. Nobody is trying to justify his actions or excuse them, but some of the opinions and bile spouted on this thread reflect particularly badly on the people making the comments. That's my opinion, and I don't think it's a point which needs much discussion.

Well said. It's just ignorance though, bless them, they don't know any better than to stigmatise. Which in turn makes things like this more likely.. ironic..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It isn't about that though is it? Nobody would try and justify his actions. On the assumption that this man's demons caused him to take control of that plane and deliberately fly it into the Alps then he's made a tragic mistake and a terrible decision. Nobody is trying to justify his actions or excuse them, but some of the opinions and bile spouted on this thread reflect particularly badly on the people making the comments. That's my opinion, and I don't think it's a point which needs much discussion.
Joking aside this is of course the right attitude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must admit I'm struggling to have much sympathy with Lubitz and his condition.

Sorry.

I sympathise with people who have mental health issues, it is life destroying but am unable to reconcile this with having any sympathy with this murderer. Cold blooded killer and his mental state does not excuse it in any way.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
According to his doctors he tore up a note excusing him from work on the day he murdered 150 people. This indicates it was rather pre-meditated and makes me feel even less sorry for him and his mental state. Nobody feels sorry for the people who shoot up schools and then kill themselves I don't see any significant difference in this case.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to his doctors he tore up a note excusing him from work on the day he murdered 150 people. This indicates it was rather pre-meditated and makes me feel even less sorry for him and his mental state. Nobody feels sorry for the people who shoot up schools and then kill themselves I don't see any significant difference in this case.

Docs should have the right to withdraw capacity to fly for pilots in the same way they can for drivers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's so easy to judge but so hard to understand.

Love or hate. Your choice.

I go for the option of understanding and disapproving. Hate doesn't come into it. I hate his actions but I don't know the man so love or hate isn't an option.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He said to his former girlfriend that "One day I'm going to do something that will change the whole system, and everyone will know my name and remember,".

Another thing was that his ex said that he used to wake up in the middle of the night screaming and shouting "We're going to crash, we're going to crash"

He wasn't mental, he was evil, it wasn't on the spur of the moment, it was cruel and calculating just waiting for his opportunity to carry out his long playing fantasy.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He said to his former girlfriend that "One day I'm going to do something that will change the whole system, and everyone will know my name and remember,".

Another thing was that his ex said that he used to wake up in the middle of the night screaming and shouting "We're going to crash, we're going to crash"

He wasn't mental, he was evil, it wasn't on the spur of the moment, it was cruel and calculating just waiting for his opportunity to carry out his long playing fantasy.

Christine Chubbuck shot herself on Live U.S TV whilst she was reading out the newscast back in 1975. She had joked to fellow work friends, she would one day shoot herself on national TV.

Are these actions 'evil' considering the amount of people who had to view such horror?

or just a very sad story. of mental illness?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Christine Chubbuck shot herself on Live U.S TV whilst she was reading out the newscast back in 1975. She had joked to fellow work friends, she would one day shoot herself on national TV.

Is this Evil considering the amount of people who had to view such horror? or a very sad story.?

Are you seriously suggesting what she did and what Lubitz did are comparable?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Are these actions 'evil' considering the amount of people who had to view such horror?

or just a very sad story. of mental illness?

I think you need to take a step back, your in a muddle.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
this thread was always going to end up "I understand more than you"

classic NSC

symyjym's post has nailed it

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think you need to take a step back, your in a muddle.

Muddle?

Was it an act of evil which made Christine Chubbuck shoot herself in-front of millions of viewers, or was it mental illness? After all, she could have shot herself alone away from the work place.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Maybe, maybe not. It's difficult to say from the limited information currently available.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Muddle?

Was it an act of evil which made Christine Chubbuck shoot herself in-front of millions of viewers, or was it mental illness? After all, she could have shot herself alone away from the work place.

All of these incidents has an element of mental illness, delusion or whatever but its the premeditation to commit an act that will wilfully kill others which makes this stand out beyond your example.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Maybe, maybe not. It's difficult to say from the limited information currently available.

I don't think it is difficult to say. He knew himself that he had evil thoughts and always intended to commit mass murder.

He was sane enough to gain a position of trust within an airline over many years. That takes some doing if you really are a loose cannon.

I would even go so far as to say that this was his ultimate intention before he even booked his first glider lesson.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
All of these incidents has an element of mental illness, delusion or whatever but its the premeditation to commit an act that will wilfully kill others which makes this stand out beyond your example.

Do we actually know he premeditated this for sure? Did he have other psychopathic tendencies?

It was mentioned earlier on the thread that Lubitz was waking up screaming from nightmares of being in a plane crash!?

Until we know the full facts, It seems very ignorant to label him as 'evil'. There's so many possible factors behind his actions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here