Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pitch invaders - you have been warned!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah but no one cared. Let's not re-write history here.

For what it's worth, I agree with the post that says it's behaviour ON the pitch, not the act of BEING on the pitch, that is the issue here. And whilst they can't legislate for this, I hope in effect it's only enforced for small incursions rather than promotion/relegation celebrations.

I’m sure Paul Barber cared, and how am I rewriting history?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
There was a thread a few weeks go about pitch invasions to celebrate whatever clubs had achieved at the end of last season. It was pointed out that when Wales qualified for the World Cup there was no pitch invasion yet there were celebrations. At that time I posted a video from the end of that match and in case anyone missed it I am posting it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23xbErYt3U

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Who is without sin?

I know the demographic of NSC tends to be nearer the senior end of the spectrum and maybe some, if not many, have forgotten the antics of their younger days. I'm getting on but because I have been on the pitch many times in my younger days, I refuse to condemn those that do it now.

Quite relevant to this time, I often used to seek out Sully (my favourite player) after games. He would lean on me and we would have a few words as we walked to the tunnel. No harm was ever done. I was on the pitch at Bournemouth during the dark days. I was on the pitch against Wigan. And many other times in between.

Whilst I wouldn't do it now, I won't condemn the youngsters who do. It's just another indication of how precious the game has become and broadens the disconnect between fans and the corporate behmoths that many clubs have become,

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

Hahaha! I knew my highly provocative liking for smoke bombs would get the pacemakers racing. It's always the same from the same old crowd who want to go to the Amex but have a perfectly sanitised experience like when they watch a match on Sky in their living rooms. The following triggers typically get these reactions from the same old people on here:

- a drum: "if anyone brings a drum to the Amex I will never set foot in the ground again"

- safe standing: "with my lumbago I don't want to stand for the entire match" (how many times do they have to be told it would only be certain sections of the ground?

- smoke bombs: "I was 100 meters from that smoke bomb but I nearly choked to death" (these people generally call them flares and don't know the difference)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Who is without sin?

I know the demographic of NSC tends to be nearer the senior end of the spectrum and maybe some, if not many, have forgotten the antics of their younger days. I'm getting on but because I have been on the pitch many times in my younger days, I refuse to condemn those that do it now.

Quite relevant to this time, I often used to seek out Sully (my favourite player) after games. He would lean on me and we would have a few words as we walked to the tunnel. No harm was ever done. I was on the pitch at Bournemouth during the dark days. I was on the pitch against Wigan. And many other times in between.

Whilst I wouldn't do it now, I won't condemn the youngsters who do. It's just another indication of how precious the game has become and broadens the disconnect between fans and the corporate behmoths that many clubs have become,

Completely agree. Pitch invasions aren't the problem, individual dickheads who get on the pitch to abuse players and/or officials are the problem and, I imagine, quite easy to identify.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who is without sin?

Blame the very small minority who have spoiled it for all of us, by assaulting players. The players can't even take action themselves, because they get carded.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hahaha! I knew my highly provocative liking for smoke bombs would get the pacemakers racing. It's always the same from the same old crowd who want to go to the Amex but have a perfectly sanitised experience like when they watch a match on Sky in their living rooms. The following triggers typically get these reactions from the same old people on here:

- a drum: "if anyone brings a drum to the Amex I will never set foot in the ground again"

- safe standing: "with my lumbago I don't want to stand for the entire match" (how many times do they have to be told it would only be certain sections of the ground?

- smoke bombs: "I was 100 meters from that smoke bomb but I nearly choked to death" (these people generally call them flares and don't know the difference)

I all seriousness, if asthmatics and people woth COPD are not unwittingly caught up in a smoke pyro extravaganza, and the Albion don't get fined or point deducted, I have no objection to a bit of smoke. Otherwise, one has to accept that what we want and what we can have are not always the same. :thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Quite timely considering the club have started pushing the only legal pitch invasion package with the mascot option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Who is without sin?

I think you've completely missed the point. Most incursions in recent years probably haven't been a problem but the back of last season saw players and managers assaulted. Back in the day, that didn't happen but the behaviour of a very small minority means the clubs and leagues have to clamp down.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Even then I was slightly worried when sons were in the first tranche that went on pitch. I did also but only when several thousand were !!

I`m on the fence re lifetime Bans for people !! The club sells alchohol ....I`d bet most if not all individual pitch invaders are drunk.. Bunch of mates on a stag do get pissed up challenge one to streak across pitch. Lifetime ban for one silly moment ??

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I’m sure Paul Barber cared, and how am I rewriting history?

I really can't imagine he cared that much in the great scheme of things - certainly can't remember any condemnation of it anywhere (other than requesting people stayed off if we won the league against Bristol City so they could do the trophy presentation :cry:). The fact the club used (and still use) images of it doesn't suggest they view it as regrettable in any way.

Re-writing history is possibly the wrong phrase, but you are the first person I have ever heard say anything even slightly negative or critical of that pitch invasion that day - I think if it started to be discussed as slightly wrong or controversial that would be completely out of tone with how 99.9% of people saw it and reacted to it at the time.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
reminds me of that day the tannoy guy at withdean had a mental breakdown screeching to everyone to get off the pitch.

V Man City maybe

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really can't imagine he cared that much in the great scheme of things - certainly can't remember any condemnation of it anywhere (other than requesting people stayed off if we won the league against Bristol City so they could do the trophy presentation :cry:). The fact the club used (and still use) images of it doesn't suggest they view it as regrettable in any way.

Re-writing history is possibly the wrong phrase, but you are the first person I have ever heard say anything even slightly negative or critical of that pitch invasion that day - I think if it started to be discussed as slightly wrong or controversial that would be completely out of tone with how 99.9% of people saw it and reacted to it at the time.

He joked about it on the day :shrug:

It was a half hearted joke about the CEO having to pay out money in the form of a fine. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here