Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Pistol

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
My take on punk being 13 at the time in 1977, living very near Caterham.

By 76 / 77 Johnny moped , Eater and the Damned were all quite well know bands in our area, we would see Johnny, slimes toad, Degenerate and hear about the punk thing. We did not know much about the pistols but had heard of them before it all blew up and the same with The Clash.

I personally found the Sex Pistols even then a bit staged and managed…even slightly aloof from the other bands mentioned. In hind site as a kid it must stuff I heard as I was much to young to think that.

Then bands like The UK subs, sham, Angelic upstarts happened and I loved that at 14 / 15.

The pistols disintegrated the clash fxxcked off to the USA and then Crass entered the scene. Well that was it a band worth listening to, bands like The poison girls, the mob, Zounds, flux of pink Indians to name the most heard of bands.

Although I do re-visit the clash and all the early punk bands I never listen to the pistols.

Last gigs I attended in Brighton this year, Steve iggs , Johnny moped and later this year zounds.

Most watched bands are The Damned and Johnny moped ( mainly because they are great live) and always see the UK suds if they play near by.

So basically punks like me , the pistols although a big part of the early scene definitely were not the be all some thought they were.

But if you asked the members of all those bands you mention they would cite the Pistols as their catalyst. At 13 I think you were too young to appreciate how important they were...

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I watched the first 2 episodes tonight and I think it's excellent; very evocative of the time. I think those criticising it just weren't there...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched the first 2 episodes tonight and I think it's excellent; very evocative of the time. I think those criticising it just weren't there...

I'm fearful of watching it in case it disappoints. Life-changing times for me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm fearful of watching it in case it disappoints. Life-changing times for me.

Watch it as a TV show that is better than most, rather than a Pistols documentary that is worse than most (I was only 2 in 76 so am only basing this opinion on what I have read and watched).

If you watch with the right attitude it is an enjoyable romp (Took me a couple of episodes to get there and left me with a yearning to watch The Filth and the Fury and Sid and Nancy)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watch it as a TV show that is better than most, rather than a Pistols documentary that is worse than most (I was only 2 in 76 so am only basing this opinion on what I have read and watched).

If you watch with the right attitude it is an enjoyable romp (Took me a couple of episodes to get there and left me with a yearning to watch The Filth and the Fury and Sid and Nancy)

Alright.

But if I end up distraught I may have to send you my therapist's bills ???

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Couldn't make it. Looked great. I know Mary Byker from a few road bike trips. Didn't dream he could change so much on stage. How were Spizz?

Byker had to pull out late on due to one of them having covid.
Spizz, was Spizz doing what he does best, a full on energy show.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Byker had to pull out late on due to one of them having covid.
Spizz, was Spizz doing what he does best, a full on energy show.

I know from his Strava that he had put the miles in on his bike to get in shape for it.
The lycra clad rock and roll lifestyle. ��

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If you listened to Jonny Walker a couple of Sunday's ago he had Steve Jones on the programme talking about it.
A good listen and he is a very interesting bloke.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here