Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Pistol

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's growing on me. Not great but it's better than another true crime drama with the missus...

... Certainly better than the jubilee nonsense.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The trailers look awful. Was never a fan of their music or Johnny Rotten but I recognise their impact. But nay, I’m not interested in art college punks and I shan’t be watching. There’s plenty of excellent documentaries about this scene out there. Not every bloody story has to be dramatised, serialised and packaged into middle class box sets.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Watched the first two last night. It's ok, but not great.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Danny Boyle did well with the Olympics but, like Tarantino, is vastly over rated imho. Again, like Tarantino, his films have an impact on first viewing but I watch them again and tend to think.... what is this crap.

I will try a cheeky Czech download of this series to have a viewing (because it is on Disney).

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Seen it and loved it though the above mob different gravy in their character acting

Thanks for that, neatly done. And you’re right - that’s a way more convincing Johnny Rotten.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is that your experience from the time (not sure whether you're as ancient as me) or perspective via the retrospectroscope?

Well.....The Clash appears one fine day in Bernie Rhodes clobber, all art school on speed. Before that John 'Woody' Mellor played pick and shovel guitar with the 101'rs (incidentally I once worked with a bloke who was at Newport art school with him and played with him in The Vultures :eek:). Strummer was a massive shagger and all that politicing was a bit false in my eye. I saw them late in Brighton and they were fun, and I liked them more than the pistols in many respects. I have the first album on vinyl with the cover signed by Strummer (long story).

The pistols, well they were more than image but the misic was all Jones and Matlock. Great guitar pop. Plus the subversive voice of Lydon. But they couldn't get gigs after a very short while. I never saw them live.

The Strangles had nothing to do with punk, really. Older blokes, innit. Sounded like The Doors. Anyone aged over 21 in '76 was on thin ice when it came to punk credibility. Strummer, even, was.....old. I loved the first Stranglers LP. Couldn't listen to it now - mysogenistic old bollocks, or soppy silliness, a lot of it. Two old pals of mine (both mixed race, women) saw them at the Buccanneer in around 76/7 and were not impressed with 'feel like a wog' or the way the audience responded to it and to them. Furtive. I know it wasn't meant to be.....but anyway.

I own probably every British punk single released between 75 and 79. I know all the stories about the imprtance of the MC5, the Stooges, The Ramones, the Count Five, The NY Dolls, but for me pure British punk and its pure British associated acts (wierdos in the main), before some of them morphed onto something else, was something else. The Adverts, X-Ray Spex, Wire (!), Doctors of Madness, Eddie and the Hotrods, Siouxie, Subway Sect, Chelsea, The Soft Boys, Sham 69, The Damned and from Brighton Wrist Action (I loved the Piranhas and have seen them countless times but they weren't subversive).

Actually, punk was lots of different things. By 1978 me and my pals would never have called outselves 'punk', dressed very much down (just a bit of eye liner) and were interested simply in anything peculiar: The Residents, Beefhart (he made some great records in the late 70s), tons of dub reggae, the new post rock sounds of the Comsat Angels, The Cure, XTC. . . . no American shit, no American 'punk'; the first bit of American music I could tolerate after Iggy, and The Tubes, was Tuxedomoon (who I still love) and Wall of Voodoo. Funny old world.

By 1980 it was getting all glammy again, and since then, in my view, the musical tribes have been irrelevant. If you like it, enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I meant to reply to this brilliant post and forgot.

My view is very much retrospective. I was 9 years old in 1977, so missed all the punk explosion and was always playing catch up with green-eyed envy. That said, I've read lots about the period, but as Joy Davidman says to CS lewis in Shadowlands, "Reading isn't a waste of time, but it's not about to hurt you." Experience is a better teacher. That said, all historical accounts are only ever that, accounts. They are personal takes on what happened, and as such you have to trust the person. With your extensive experience, there's lots to trust.

I remember going to see The Stranglers for the first time in 1982. I was a very nervous 14-year-old. I think the week prior to my gig a load of punks had ripped up the seats at the Hammersmith Palais already showing their disdain for the changing music and the disgrace that was Golden Brown. They had gone berserk and the whole thing beautifully terrified me. To me, that was what the punk thing was - an edge and an attitude. Of course, by the early 80s that was all history and I was just as enamoured by the Human League, The Police, The Jam, The Clash, Depeche Mode, New Order, The Cure and far too many male-oriented bands.

Thanks for reminding me of Comsat Angels. I loved them. They are going on the playlist today.

And I agree with that closing line. If you like it, enjoy it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pity they didn't include the scene where Derek Nimmo rocked up:

Sid drinking Special Brew during the day :eek:. No wonder (according to Viv Albertine) he used to piss the bed :facepalm: Talk about sorting out one's priorities.

viv.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For some reason I'm double posting. Apologies. Is it NSC or my connection I wonder

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
My take on punk being 13 at the time in 1977, living very near Caterham.

By 76 / 77 Johnny moped , Eater and the Damned were all quite well know bands in our area, we would see Johnny, slimes toad, Degenerate and hear about the punk thing. We did not know much about the pistols but had heard of them before it all blew up and the same with The Clash.

I personally found the Sex Pistols even then a bit staged and managed…even slightly aloof from the other bands mentioned. In hind site as a kid it must stuff I heard as I was much to young to think that.

Then bands like The UK subs, sham, Angelic upstarts happened and I loved that at 14 / 15.

The pistols disintegrated the clash fxxcked off to the USA and then Crass entered the scene. Well that was it a band worth listening to, bands like The poison girls, the mob, Zounds, flux of pink Indians to name the most heard of bands.

Although I do re-visit the clash and all the early punk bands I never listen to the pistols.

Last gigs I attended in Brighton this year, Steve iggs , Johnny moped and later this year zounds.

Most watched bands are The Damned and Johnny moped ( mainly because they are great live) and always see the UK suds if they play near by.

So basically punks like me , the pistols although a big part of the early scene definitely were not the be all some thought they were.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I was not looking forward to it, following the trailers, but have to say was presently surprised by it.
Lived and breathed the pistols since 77 and like to think i know a bit, so you have to forgive it for a lot of things such as events in wrong order and a few missed out completely.
ie, there were 3 Johns and John Wardle (Jah Wobble) completely missing from the story. The gig of 42 at the lesser free trade hall that spurned many other bands, never even mentioned,
Glen worked in Sex the (the shop :) ) and this is how he met Paul & Steve, but in this he never worked there etc

But has i say it was good to watch as long as you don't tale too seriously.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Top work.

As for the series, the whole early punk thing was completely misunderstood at the time, especially Lydon, so I wouldn't expect a more meaningful interpretation all these years later. Boyle is the right age (65) but Jones, bless him, was only in it "to get me 'ands on some birds" which he did with extreme voracity, so his take is bound to be cartoonish. I think if I watched it I would feel a little sad.

I just looked up Pamela Rooke and found that she died in April this year. RIP :nono:

Jordan was a friend of mine, and we arranged an all day memorial gig last week at the Concorde 2.
She was an advisor to the series and helped Maisie Williams considerably who played her.
https://louderthanwar.com/jordan-memorial-concert-brighton-live-review/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports