Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Piped crowd noise

Piped crowd noise at games, yes, no, maybe, who cares

• No, just have the audio from the pitch

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • Yes, piped noise would be a great addition

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • Not sure lets see how no crowd noise works first then tinker with audio if needed

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • Meh, who gives a s**t, football is not important right now.

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On the news yesterday they were saying this is an option you can turn on or off.

I'm presuming you mean piped to the viewer rather than played out at the ground.
I believe it will be an option on the pay sites (Sky & BT), although they tend to put any red button service out in SD rather than HD.

It's optional on UK services. :shrug:

Only optional were there is a red button option. Sky have confirmed that for the games that they are showing on Pick it is not optional.

You are then left with the mute button (which I shall be using a lot)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm all for added crowd noise. Mind you, I'm also going to order a box of six Piglets Pantry pies and a few beers to max the experience. I might even queue on my own outside my downstairs toilet for five minutes before going in at half time and push the wife out the way to return to my seat! We just need to be a bit more imaginative:smile:

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
A sound hire company I work for have been demo ing sound systems at football grounds for the last couple of weeks.

They go to the ground, set up a system then the players come along and see what they think. So far they've been to all the London Premiership and Championship clubs.

Nice work and I wish I was involved.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No crowd noise, our players may understand some of the instructions being shouted to them by Graham Potter :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Flintstones would have been FINISHED without the canned laughter. Fact.

For example, consider this....tragedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSF3CV0OPGU

Canned laughter has it's place for sure. Once went to a recording of The Fast Show. Which was anything but. One of me all time favourite shows, but I defy ANYONE to laugh at half a dozen consecutive takes of the same sketch. Seem to recall doing a runner after about four hours to get a last pint in

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having seen how they've piped the crowd noise in from the Bundesliga I am 100% in favour, especially when its "dynamic" crowd noise ie reactive to whats occurring on the pitch. Yes you know its not real, but after a while you just forget about it and go with it - its infinitely preferable to the deafening silence with just the shouts of players and coaches echoing round the stadium. As someone else mentioned, that makes it feel just like a training match.

I think I read somewhere that the crowd noise is being done by the people who did the crowd sounds for FIFA. Presumably they'll have some herbert pressing the right buttons at the right time for an "oooh" and an "ahhh" and a "booooooo". That being the case, I'm IN.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I'm all for added crowd noise. Mind you, I'm also going to order a box of six Piglets Pantry pies and a few beers to max the experience. I might even queue on my own outside my downstairs toilet for five minutes before going in at half time and push the wife out the way to return to my seat! We just need to be a bit more imaginative:smile:

please stand in the hallway at half time to down your pint.. no drinking in sight of the pitch...

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
As long as they give people the option, it is not even an issue is it?

Some people like marmite, some don't. As long as nobody is forced to eat it, there is no issue.

If they don't give people the option though - they shouldn't have it.

I fully agree with this, but I am not sure if my streaming service will give me an option. Certainly with the free to air AFL and Rugby over here there is no option other than to turn off the sound. The whole idea of canned crowd participation just seems a bit childish to me.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Watching Bilbao v alt Madrid with crowd with crowd noise and have to say it’s done well and adds to the atmosphere for the viewer. Helps that it’s not half bad football either.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If it's allowed then yes , if we have the ball moving forward give it full blast of murmuring and a crescendo of werthers wrappers , when the opposition have it just a few grasshoppers on very low volume .

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Piped crowd noise is gayer than Phil Scofield doing an impersonation of Duncan Norvelle.

Apart from 'cry in a minute' when Dibley doesn't get what he wants.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I just watched a la Liga game and it made a difference in terms of not noticing the silence. A bit weird when a goal is scored and someone has to press the cheer button but overall it's good. It means I may have missed someone screaming "Pethick, you ****ing ugly *******" though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here