Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piercey's performance

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Piercy played well yesterday, all things considered, showed some nice touches, linked up play, and even managed a couple of shots on target. Almost a parallel of Darren Currie's debut at Reading, seem to remember a few people slating him too. Now, as then, I think I'll reserve judgement until the player is fit.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Curious Orange said:
Piercy played well yesterday.

I thought he was unfit and overweight and he will never make a striker. Overall the worse player on the pitch. Still, everyone's entitled to there own opinion.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
dougdeep said:
I thought he was unfit and overweight and he will never make a striker. Overall the worse player on the pitch. Still, everyone's entitled to there own opinion.

I expect he'd agree - he will never make a striker, as he's not, he's a left winger. Hardly suprising he was unfit either, not suprising given he's just back from a serious injury. Far from the worst player on the pitch though, as far as I could see.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Jameson said:
Crowd got on his back yesterday. Clearly not yet match fit in my opinion but he was played way out of position so what's the point of having a go at him? If anything ask McGhee why no forwards on the bench - eg Molengo, Jarrett, Robinson?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I agree in principle. Unfair to have a pop at him after 1 game,however ive thought for a while that he isnt upto it, and the money could be better spent elsewhere.
Would love to be proved wrong, but ive been saying that about him for what seems years, so when will he deliver.....

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Re: Re: Piercey's performance

dave the gaffer said:
So basically what you are saying is that a bloke who has been seriously ill with a delibatating(sp) disease, who has played one full game in the last year or so, has trained like hell to get back on his feet, who was played out of position yesterday, who hasn't played with this team for ages and is expected to come into the side and be our saviour?

If we all held that view Dave, Kitson would still be on our books!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I thought personally he did well in the circumstances. His touches - though flash - were clever and the spark of talent we actually DO need.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Piercy was absolute rubbish on Saturday.

Can his abject performance be justifiably excused by recent ill health? Not in my book.

Molango and Robinson are fully fit. McGhee took a gamble with Piercy's fitness and it failed. Piercy wasn't even on the same planet as the other players and looked like Jim had Fixed It for him to play for the Albion.

Yet even half-fit players should have a modicum of skill, awareness, bottle and fight. On that evidence, Piercy looks destined for non-league football inside a year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Pavilionaire said:
Piercy was absolute rubbish on Saturday.

Can his abject performance be justifiably excused by recent ill health? Not in my book.

Molango and Robinson are fully fit. McGhee took a gamble with Piercy's fitness and it failed. Piercy wasn't even on the same planet as the other players and looked like Jim had Fixed It for him to play for the Albion.

Yet even half-fit players should have a modicum of skill, awareness, bottle and fight. On that evidence, Piercy looks destined for non-league football inside a year.

Say what you mean Pavilionaire!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This criticism of Piercy is unjustified... MM made the mistake in playing an unfir player out of position... should have played Molango or Robinson... MM also capitulated and offered him a year, when he should have stuck with his original proposal of 3 months... we cannot afford to carry anyone in our squad...

david

Feb 5, 2004
London
It's unfair to blame Piercey if he is still feeling the after effects of his illness. I don't think any player would refuse their manager if asked to play, as this is the only way they can prove their long-term usefulness, and thus keep their job.

One concern I do have with him (and this was apparent before his bouts of illness) is that he is clearly carrying too much weight. Only a select few footballers can get by on half-steam (eg. Matt LeTissier), and he isn't one of them. McGhee must have had that in mind when he initially only gave him 3 months.

If he recovers to 100% fitness instead of opting for the 70% he was before the illness, he may still play an important part this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here