Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Photo's in The Amex from today

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
True but you just increase the balance counterweight or the distance from the fulcrum of your lighter counterweight giving you balance to avoid toppling, a biggish capacity crane would be able to lift around 200 or 300 tonnes and I'm sure a prefabricated section won't weigh anywhere near that, 40 - 50 tonnes at tops ( any more and it couldn't be easily transported by road ).

One of these babies should manage ( This Terex DEMAG has 350 tonne capacity and was used on one of my projects in conjunction with it's smaller 200 tonne baby brother ). There's even a 1000 tonne crane but that probably is too big to get through the door. What they're using at the moment is just a tiddler by comparison.

Be better off with one of these......
th

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Now I know how everyone felt on Fridays!
The operation going on as regards the pitch is known as "Fraise Mowing". This involves removing the grass and surface usually down to about 20mm. This removes any thatch and other crap that formed over the playing season. In doing so, the grasses that can't hack it are removed completely, whilst the deeper rooting stronger grass will survive and regrow. This, along with over-seeding after the FBS concert will have the pitch as good as new before we know it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The bloody Green party turning the Amex into an allotment I said this was part of their master plan but did you believe me NO. Look with your eyes, how much more proof do you need, carrots in the six yard box?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Now I know how everyone felt on Fridays!
The operation going on as regards the pitch is known as "Fraise Mowing". This is removing the grass and surface usually to about 20mm. This removes any thatch and other crap that formed over the playing season. In doing so, the grasses that can't hack it are removed completely, whilst the deeper rooting stronger grass will survive and regrow. This, along with over-seeding after the FBS concert will have the pitch as good as new before we know it.

Cheers Jack. I did wonder.

Those are great photos Rusty. The East Stand is going to look great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If they'd hired a larger capacity crane they wouldn't have had to do all that because the crane could have been parked further from the stand. Mind you there aren't that many big capacity cranes, and they come at a premium hire rate, also the big ones are probably busy elsewhere.

old-man.jpg

:thumbsup:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Didn't the BIG crane for the original build arrive on about 25 different lorries or something, and had to be put together in situ?

Absolutely. The real problem with big cranes is they need A LOT of space and have a very high axle loading. Actually, putting the outriggers on the concrete terracing is better because it avoids putting massive depressions in the pitch and damaging the undersoil heating and sprinkler systems. Usually the crane operators put down massive steel plates to act as load spreaders, but they always leave a big impression in the soil afterwards.

I'm pretty sure Buckingham know what they're doing, but the approach used at Stadium MK for building the Upper Tier would have been better. It's easier to construct and less disruptive if you put in ALL the concrete before building the roof.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Hah, hah. Actually if you have to pay for the cost of crane hire, which is £ 1,000's per day, it makes a big difference to cost and timescales if the one you really need isn't available when you need it.

How would you all feel if on 18th August the job wasn't finished and the games all had to be switched to the opponents grounds?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
All this talk about cranes and construction, this is a proper man's thread. Just need some references to guns and shagging and the thread will be a full on testosterone fuelled classic!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Those are great photos Rusty. The East Stand is going to look great.
Haven't you read the other thread that makes it clear that the East stand is going to look awful?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Where are the away fans going to be? The new South East corner, plus some of the East Lower and some of the South? Do we know how many seats and which blocks?

Also glad we didnt use the same designers as Wolves have!!!

Attachments

• Wolves new stand.jpg
    Wolves new stand.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 76

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
To be fair it won't suffer from obstructed sight-lines once all 3 sides are complete, but that is really poor..... Hope they don't sell those seats.

Makes the view from the Withdean away end seem positively good.

Fan A: Have we scored?
Fan B: Dunno mate, but doesn't our goalies kit look great!

You can't even see their big screen, to make up for what you can't see, from there.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here