Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phobias.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Queues. Absolutely can't bear them. Would far rather stand in a short queue for a bad sandwich than stand in a long queue for a good sandwich. Would far rather go the the Saino's 5 Items kiosk (even though I'd really like to buy a dozen items) than queue behind somebody buying £140's worth of Big Shop. Would far rather walk a couple of miles after a sporting event than stand in a half hour queue for a train. Would far rather go hungry than spend 20 minutes in a queue for a pie and a pint. Airport queues and post office queues and that fifty metre long queue for Dick's Bar about forty five minutes before kick-off are my personal idea of hell.

And... relax! :smokin:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Queues. Absolutely can't bear them. Would far rather stand in a short queue for a bad sandwich than stand in a long queue for a good sandwich. Would far rather go the the Saino's 5 Items kiosk (even though I'd really like to buy a dozen items) than queue behind somebody buying £140's worth of Big Shop. Would far rather walk a couple of miles after a sporting event than stand in a half hour queue for a train. Would far rather go hungry than spend 20 minutes in a queue for a pie and a pint. Airport queues and post office queues and that fifty metre long queue for Dick's Bar about forty five minutes before kick-off are my personal idea of hell.

Yeah I'd go with this

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is a phobicphobia .......which is the fear of fear.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Everyone has innate fears of poisonous or predatory animals. We all experience a fight or flight response when we see them or even just a representation of them, such as a TV program or a picture. Some people choose to deal with it some choose to shriek on about it, attention seeking. Most people with "phobias" aren't even that terrified it's just an emotional comfort blanket, they like to be known as "Dave, the one who's terrified of spiders". It's an identifier that brings salve to weak personalities.

I can understand the reaction to my post, no one likes to be told things they don't like to hear, especially those personalities.

This man speaks the truth. A fear and a phobia are two very different things. It is quite rational to dislike flying, spiders, snakes or even queues. A good line to define a phobia is when a person states that they would rather die than come into contact with the situation, that tips in to the irrational. To say you would rather die than fly in a plane for example does not make sense because your fear of flight is probably of crashing and death. Most dislikes are pretty rational, phobias are a whole different kettle of fish.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Not a phobia in a million years. This is a pet hate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wasps. I've never been stung, but over-react when they're about.

Don't like heights, but only in manmade situations e.g. in the viewing deck of skyscrapers, especially when they have a glass floor, or for example looking down from the ramparts and towers of places like Bodiam Castle. I feel dizzy. (But I feel fine in skiing off steep ski slopes and mountains, and in all the lift types you get in Alpine resorts!)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm a confident sailor, swimmer, have done some sub-aqua and lots of sea survival stuff which I enjoyed - but do get an uneasy sensation when over very deep water (as in 1000s of feet deep), especially when out of sight of land.

It is not something to make me really anxious so not full blown 'bathophobia' - but the uneasy sensation increases if I'm in the water itself. Knowing there is one of those really deep ocean trenches beneath you while swimming could be interesting.

Yet I'm good at dealing with heights and don't get fazed by the thought of flying at 40k feet, even over deep seas, there is just something creepy about deep dark water. Maybe a psychiatrist would have a field day analysing me......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here