Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phobias.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Most of these aren't phobias. Most "phobias" are attention seeking bollocks anyway.

Phobia- A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.

So looking at that definition and my fear of large sharks, I appreciate great white sharks can be dangerous, but only if I happen to be in the sea in the vicinity of them. But my fear to me is very real if I see them on the television, in print or even neither but say I'm in a public swimming pool, with zero chance of a live encounter.

My adrenaline rockets through my body if I happen upon an image and I will do a lot to avoid watching on TV etc.

So Dr of Psychology, in what way are these extreme fears, I and others have outlined, not a phobia and instead are merely attention seeking?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Phobia- A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.

So looking at that definition and my fear of large sharks, I appreciate great white sharks can be dangerous, but only if I happen to be in the sea in the vicinity of them. But my fear to me is very real if I see them on the television, in print or even neither but say I'm in a public swimming pool, with zero chance of a live encounter.

My adrenaline rockets through my body if I happen upon an image and I will do a lot to avoid watching on TV etc.

So Dr of Psychology, in what way are these extreme fears, I and others have outlined, not a phobia and instead are merely attention seeking?

Everyone has innate fears of poisonous or predatory animals. We all experience a fight or flight response when we see them or even just a representation of them, such as a TV program or a picture. Some people choose to deal with it some choose to shriek on about it, attention seeking. Most people with "phobias" aren't even that terrified it's just an emotional comfort blanket, they like to be known as "Dave, the one who's terrified of spiders". It's an identifier that brings salve to weak personalities.

I can understand the reaction to my post, no one likes to be told things they don't like to hear, especially those personalities.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Though innate might not be quite the right word as these are learned responses and the widely held belief among experts is that we are born with only two fears, the fear of loud noises and the fear of heights. All other so called phobias can be conditioned out of us.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Railway crossings. Hate walking or driving over them in case they've failed to go down and getting clattered by the 8:31 to Brighton.

I think I watched too many medical dramas and episodes of The Bill when I was younger.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Railway crossings. Hate walking or driving over them in case they've failed to go down and getting clattered by the 8:31 to Brighton.

I think I watched too many medical dramas and episodes of The Bill when I was younger.

I find eyes help in these life threatening situations.

I suppose it you see the 8:31 hurtling down the line towards the crossing yet the barrier is still up you have to ask yourself what do I trust more? My eyes or the barrier operator. Quite the conundrum.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I find eyes help in these life threatening situations.

Thanks for that nugget of information. Really glad you took the effort to enlighten my day with that. Where should I send the cheque?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Raw cheese - the thought of touching any sort of cheese freaks me out. My mates use to have a field day with it!

I work with a woman who has a phobia of Peacocks and another that has a phobia of bananas.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Underground platforms in London.

As a train draws in I make a conscious decision to put my back against the platform wall so any lurking nutters can't just push me onto the tracks.

Spiders too :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here