Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead (Threads Merged)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I watched The Master only just the other day and another brilliant performance. Cant believe he was only 46 though- always seemed older than that on screen.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Dodgy insulin ???

I find your post offensive to all type 1 diabetics .....

In over twenty-five years of jabbing myself 4-5 times a day with insulin, NEVER once have I done this in my arm.
Do you know the difference between subcutaneously and intravenously and why some drugs are delivered one way, not the other.

If you were being serious, yes an overdose of insulin will kill, but no diabetic would inject into their arm - was Hoffman a type 1 diabetic?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Very sad news indeed. He was a superb actor.

RIP.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm pretty depressed about this today. Apparently he was clean for 26 years but it looks like depression got the better of him. He's probably the only actor that I'd go and see a film especially for.
I see there's a couple of callous comments but I'm not surprised.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm pretty depressed about this today. Apparently he was clean for 26 years but it looks like depression got the better of him. He's probably the only actor that I'd go and see a film especially for.
I see there's a couple of callous comments but I'm not surprised.

I am genuinely sad today because he was one of my favourite actors of all time and who knows his mindset. Try not to judge people as we do not know the circumstances of what happened and why.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
andy lassner [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]lassner wrote this http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s0971e

For millions of people across the world, Philip Seymour Hoffman's death was sad because we lost one of our generation's greatest actors. For millions of addicts like myself, his death was sad because another one of us lost the fight.

I remember the first time I tried heroin vividly. What I instantly loved most about the feeling was, in fact, the lack of feeling. It was a perfect sense of effortless floating. It was amazing.

I only tried it because it was easier to get than yet another prescription from yet another doctor that I'd have to lie to about pain symptoms. Opiates like Vicodin are basically lower grade, laboratory made heroin. And who doesn't love Vicodin?

The problem for me was I wanted to feel that high forever. I wanted that feeling of nothingness to never end. Not because I'm stupid. Not because I have no self control. Not because my parents failed in some way. No - I wanted that feeling because I'm an addict. I have a brain that tells me it needs more. Of everything. It tells me that despite the fact that chasing the high will cause me to lose anything and everything l love and cherish, including my life, it just needs a little more. It's just how us addicts are built. It's not our fault. It is, however, our responsibility to deal with it. And the only way for me to deal with it is to never stop asking for help. And sometimes that's not enough.

I believe Philip Seymour Hoffman did not want to to die. At all. He wanted to live. But with just a little bit less pain. And, as an addict, his brain told him narcotics were the easiest way out of emotional pain. Even when we have incredible personal knowledge to the contrary, sometimes we just want to get high just one more time. The problem is we don't ever know if that one more time will also be the one more time our body holds up. For Mr. Hoffman it wasn't.

In less than a month, I will be 15 years clean and yet not a day goes by that I don't think about and remember what it feels like to be high. I think about that more than I think about all the things my addiction cost me. That's just how our brains work.

Addiction is real and it is not about weakness. It's not a fight any of us can win by ourselves. If you are struggling with wanting to stop drinking or using drugs more than anything and not being able to - you're not broken - you're an addict. Ask for help. And then ask for help again. And then never stop asking for help. It's here. We're here and we live when we help each other and die when we don't.​

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm constantly amazed by the number of brilliant and talented people who keep taking themselves out of the gene pool before me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
70 bags of heroin were found in his flat.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That is a really, really, really good bit of writing. I'm far from his biggest fan but he does such a good job of articulating the issues.
He does a good job of making excuses for junkies , nobody is arguing about the behaviour of junkies after they're hooked, its the very fact that they start taking heroin in the first place that makes them such fkin idiots.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He does a good job of making excuses for junkies , nobody is arguing about the behaviour of junkies after they're hooked, its the very fact that they start taking heroin in the first place that makes them such fkin idiots.

I think there are two issues to the response there, one of which might be irrelevant.

There are frequent discussions about drug taking and addiction and so on, and often times the point s put foward that most people take drugs don't become junkies. Even the Brand article mentions that 90% of users don't become addicted (I have no idea if that is from a study or his own estimation). This would give the initial response to your point is that most junkies don't start taking heroin thinking they are going to get addicted. Of course this is irrelevant if your position is "anyone taking heroin is stupid." rather than "junkies who take heroin are stupid for taking it in the first place"

The other point is that often people who take heroin don't start when they are completely sober, in total control, 100% mentally healthy. Often their inhibitions have been lowered by alcohol or lesser drugs, - the sort of intoxicants that even people who think heroin is totally stupid will defend people's right to use - to the point where their addictive personalities have already taken hold and heroin is just the next answer; or they have mental health problems, a depression that has taken such a hold that they can't make what appears to be a simple sensible decision to not use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here