Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead (Threads Merged)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
RIP. leaves behind a golden treasury of fabulous films. Synecdoche, New York was probably my favourite. A master of portraying the casual torture of life. Had an uncanny knack for choosing mainly great films to be in. May watch The Big Lebowski tonight in remembrance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Magnolia for ME. RIP.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
A junky who left behind three children under 11. No sympathy or idolisation from me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One of the great mysteries to me is how people can judge someone they do not know , have never met and have not walked in their shoes or have the faintest idea of any of the challenges they may have been going through. Very sad.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not really. I tend to look beyond someone's abilities in life and put greater stock in the decisions they make and how they effect others.

Did you know his frame of mind ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He tried. Sadly the addiction got the better of him.

31/5/13. Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has revealed he recently completed detox for drug abuse, including heroin use, TMZ is reporting.

Hoffman reportedly told TMZ he checked into a detox facility on the East Coast for 10 days after a prescription drug problem that started over a year ago escalated to him snorting heroin. He reportedly only used heroin for about a week before he realized he needed to seek help.

The Oscar-winner -- who checked himself out of the facility on Friday, May 24 -- had a drug problem in his early twenties but kicked the habit for 23 years before falling off the wagon. He thanks "a great group of friends and family" for standing by him.

In a 2006 interview with CBS' "60 Minutes," Hoffman discussed his past drug use. The 45-year-old explained that after graduating from New York University's drama school he was lured into a life of hard-partying.

"It was all that [drugs and alcohol], yeah, it was anything I could get my hands on... I liked it all," he said. Eventually he realized he needed to change. "I went [to rehab], I got sober when I was 22 years old. You get panicked... and I got panicked for my life. It really was just that."

He also said he was thankful he got sober before he got famous.

"I have so much empathy for these young actors that are 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful and famous and rich. I'm like, 'Oh my God. I'd be dead.' You know what I mean? I'd be 19, beautiful, famous and rich. That would be it. I think back at that time. I think if I had the money, that kind of money and stuff. So, yeah [I would have died]."

Hoffman is set to star in "God's Pocket," an indie drama by John Slattery co-starring Richard Jenkins, Christina Hendricks and John Turturro, Variety reports. He also recently wrapped production on "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," which will hit theaters in November.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP, Drugs claim yet another actor.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Such a shame. One of the finest actors of his generation

I wonder what they'll do with him in the remaining Hunger Games films?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Never a bad performance. Even in tripe like The Boat That Rocked he gave meat and flesh to the character and a deep reality to who he feigned to be in merely a sparkling line or two. I loved him in The Savages and had thorough faith in his blackly comic dysfunctionality. I'll miss him as a performer and i am not sure who will fill his shoes as a screen-dominating character actor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here