Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perry's Plea / No Trains for Rotherham?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Surely the only answer is to take the franchise away from Southern and get others to bid for it?

It won't happen, they are Govt backed and the Govt have already said that Govia are not in breach of their contract.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One thing that the council could do while this is going on is relaxing the restrictions on parking in Coldean and Moulsecoomb, that would certainly provide temporary relief

I can't see that happening, sensible though it would seem. They won't want to upset the ratepayers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Since GTR have reportedly pocketed the £8.9billion of tax payers money they have done everything possible to reduce the service they were paid to provide. One reduced 'emegency' timetable after another. It is astonishing that they still continue to get an easy ride from the government and in some cases the media. For all the talk of industrial action up until this week there have only been a handful of strike days, nothing remotely close to justifying the slashing of a vital service.

I'm glad I'm not going friday it will be chaos and it will be on the heads of the couldn't give a crap management at Southern.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He needs to contact the Lewes/Eastbourne/Wealden/Worthing MPs, as we're even worse-affected, I think. May as well cancel my season ticket at this rate.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Since GTR have reportedly pocketed the £8.9billion of tax payers money they have done everything possible to reduce the service they were paid to provide. One reduced 'emegency' timetable after another. It is astonishing that they still continue to get an easy ride from the government and in some cases the media. For all the talk of industrial action up until this week there have only been a handful of strike days, nothing remotely close to justifying the slashing of a vital service.

I'm glad I'm not going friday it will be chaos and it will be on the heads of the couldn't give a crap management at Southern.

This is the quietest union/company plan of action I have ever seen, it really seems to be kept under wraps. It affects millions and costs millions and people lose their jobs because of it. It is nothing short of a scandal. GTR pay an 'insurance' to the Govt that allows them to screw everyone up in the South East. And it rarely even makes headline news. It was a back up story this morning on the BBC.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Apart from anything else, spare a thought for Rotherham fans planning to come to the game on Tuesday.

The best way to solve this would be to let Transport for London run all the trains south of the capital. If there's political accountability at the top, you would never see a shambles like this.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He needs to contact the Lewes/Eastbourne/Wealden/Worthing MPs, as we're even worse-affected, I think. May as well cancel my season ticket at this rate.

Bexhill & Battle (Huw Merriman) and Hastings & Rye (Amber Rudd - Home Secretary) too. There are no trains between Hastings, Bexhill to Eastbourne. Bexhill has no trains this week.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apart from anything else, spare a thought for Rotherham fans planning to come to the game on Tuesday.

The best way to solve this would be to let Transport for London run all the trains south of the capital. If there's political accountability at the top, you would never see a shambles like this.

But the whole reason the Govt is trying to break the RMT is because they bring London to a standstill when they strike on the tube, which does make national headlines. This is a London based squabble.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As someone who's travelling plans generally involve ducking out of The Cyclist when the queue starts to lengthen and then grabbing a train back after a post-match beer, I have no idea how many trains the regular timetable provided. Do you know how many more it was?

Maybe they will close it, literally, on safety grounds if capacity is so low relative to usual demand as is done for Preston Park during Pride.

Have always tended to park at Lewes - before the game there seemed to be one every 10-15 mins to Falmer, and after about the same (usually ended up on a train between 22.00 and 22.15 typically). Can't find an old timetable anywhere though. Unless they are going to put on shuttles for matches, it's close to 'no rail service' for evening games by the look of things.

ST numbers are up to 23,000.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

This. Once again - next Tuesday is NOT a strike day- the emergency timetable is entirely down to Southern's own shortcomings egged on by the government. And if you don't believe me, the Saturday before last when they decided to cancel ALL West Worthings and Lewes I was sat having a cup of tea with the guard who was supposed to work 3 of these with me. There was absolutely nothing stopping us working those trains other than the edict from above that they had to be cancelled. 100% down to poor planning and trying to make the guards and the RMT look bad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You can't. At least not until February/March for next season.

Even with a normal service, there won't be many Rotherham fans using the train to get to Brighton and back on a Tuesday night.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. Once again - next Tuesday is NOT a strike day- the emergency timetable is entirely down to Southern's own shortcomings egged on by the government. And if you don't believe me, the Saturday before last when they decided to cancel ALL West Worthings and Lewes I was sat having a cup of tea with the guard who was supposed to work 3 of these with me. There was absolutely nothing stopping us working those trains other than the edict from above that they had to be cancelled. 100% down to poor planning and trying to make the guards and the RMT look bad.

Indeed - point I alluded to above is that this isn't specific to the Rotherham game. It'll be all evening games as long as the 'emergency' timetable is in place.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

One is as bad as the other. Bunch of 5 month old babies throwing toys out. In fact I am being disrespectful to 5 month old babies.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Good lad, sadly one voice won't bring it about. The RMT and Govia are like two kids in high seats throwing porridge at each other. They couldn't give two f**ks about their 'customers' or local business.

Probably not, sadly. But throw into the mix that the Albion are Southern's bigges individual customer, one would think that would count for something.

However, while the club tries to negotiate with willing middle managers at SASTA, those at the top of the hierarchy don't even bother to reply to the club's enquiries.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
But the whole reason the Govt is trying to break the RMT is because they bring London to a standstill when they strike on the tube, which does make national headlines. This is a London based squabble.

I see your point. But the problem with Southern is that there are no consequences for them of being inept. Their income is guaranteed, their franchise is secure and none of their highly-paid board ever have to meet passengers. My thought was if you have a mayor who's ultimately responsible for making the network run then at least there are electoral consequences for him or her when it all goes pear-shaped.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
One is as bad as the other. Bunch of 5 month old babies throwing toys out. In fact I am being disrespectful to 5 month old babies.

No, this really is down to SASTA.

There was no strike or any kind of industrial action on Saturday, yet Southern arbitrarily cancelled all trains out of Brighton towards London, save the 28 and 58 minutes past each hour to Victoria. Thameslink weren't running at all.

And this on Pride day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here