Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People who have impressed/surprised you so far through this crisis (and who's been crap)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Impressive:
Hancock, I already knew he was impressive, but this man is under so much pressure and he still has an amazing determination and gives such clarity consistently, only dumb ass Journalists pretend not to understand.

He also came back like shot out of a gun after he had Covid 19.

Dickheads: Kussenberg and virtual all journalist, not sure anyone needs an explanation on this one.

Does clarity include making multiple promises that aren't kept?

And the journalists like Kuenssberg are dickheads for asking why it doesn't happen....... in other words they are doing their job.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

And the journalists like Kuenssberg are dickheads for asking why it doesn't happen....... in other words they are doing their job.
I usually like Laura, she's good. But it has to be said, she's been absolutely shithouse through this crisis.

There are things that the government need taking to task about obviously. But the standard of questioning from pretty much every journalist has been w***.

Pesto has done ok, but I'll never forgive him for his bullshit that accentuated the financial crisis and the run on Northern Rock. So he can **** off. Always. The financially illiterate knob.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve been reasonably impressed with Rishi Sunak with his ‘license to give’.

He needs to do some tweaking to his policies as outlined in question time yesterday but he is listening and responding to problems very well. The rest will be if he can get banks to lend to business that need it, following the German/Swiss model of 100% guarantees seems to be the method of pushing all those banks we saved into action.

However, one thing with Rishi has not gone unnoticed.

He has stolen Ed Milliband’s voice.

Being a Tory, I suspect he nipped into Ed’s sleeping quarters in the middle of the night and scalpeled out his larynx whilst poor Ed lay there incapacitated by his nightly bottle of vodka session. A dastardly trick to play!

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Dave, I hope I can call you that as we are well acquainted now.

This is a very unique situation and is worldwide any promises are almost impossible to keep as they still don't know enough about this virus.

We do not need to be asking stupid questions like Kuenssberg and her fellow shit stirrers are doing, they appear to just be looking for a slither of hope that the government are going to say something in a way they can twist.

Make no mistake the government are doing everything within their power in this situation, who wouldn't?
Repeated questions that they have been asked day after day makes them a brain dead commodity we do not need at this time.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Peston and anyone else closely scrutinising this government are doing a good job (including surprisingly Piers Morgan). Gove, Raab and Pritti Patel have been shown up for what they stand for - and it isn't good....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm impressed by what Hancock says he's going to do.

I'm somewhat unimpressed by what Hancock has actually done.

I judge people by their actions, not their words

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Do you think it's helpful asking over and over about the exit plan when seemingly it's only opposition MPs and the tabloid press who are bothered about it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This is such wrong, muddle headed thinking it's hard to know where to start. It implies that it is more impressive to "fight" the disease than succumb to it, in other words victim blaming. I assume you've never heard Paul Hayward's take on how offensive it is to cancer victims to use the word 'fight'. Are you implying that Hancock is more impressive than Johnson for being lucky enough to recover quicker? Or that it's more impressive than those, particularly NHS workers who have died?

And then there's the implication that you can just get straight back to work without convalescing or taking time to ensure that you really are symptom and virus free.

It may have been posted innocently but the double implication in this line is wrong on a large number of levels.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Do you think it's helpful asking over and over about the exit plan when seemingly it's only opposition MPs and the tabloid press who are bothered about it?
It's not only opposition MPs and the tabloid press. I know a couple of people in the shielded category and living on their own. In both cases life expectancy would not be great and in one case has a terminal diagnosis. Face to face social contact is huge for both. So in effect if the plan is to leave the shielded in precisely the same situation as they are now then that is life-imprisonment (I accept that is not the intention). The one with terminal diagnosis would absolutely choose death at this point. I feel some openness would be helpful and I understand that plans change - we should be treated as adults

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

This is a very unique situation and is worldwide any promises are almost impossible to keep as they still don't know enough about this virus.

We do not need to be asking stupid questions like Kuenssberg and her fellow shit stirrers are doing, they appear to just be looking for a slither of hope that the government are going to say something in a way they can twist.

Make no mistake the government are doing everything within their power in this situation, who wouldn't?
Repeated questions that they have been asked day after day makes them a brain dead commodity we do not need at this time.

I take your point, and certainly don’t think that the government is deliberately doing anything to screw things up.

But anybody talking about dickhead journalists asking stupid questions should be watching the televised parliamentary select committee at the moment with Matt Hancock answering questions from MPs Fabian video links. His predecessor Jeremy Hunt has just given him a right mauling. Does Mr Hunt think he is a journalist?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sunak has been impressive.

Surprised so many on here have been impressed by Hancock. The guy is COMPLETELY out of his depth. He keeps promising things which he patently has no clue whether they can be delivered, and then - when the target is missed - he lies by saying he never promised it!

He promised 25,000 tests/day by mid-April, but yesterday's report was fewer than 16,000, and Hancock claimed that no commitment to 25,000 had been made - despite the fact it is on the government website. Now he seems to be rowing back from the 100,000 target at end-April, by saying it's an "aspiration". Germany is testing over 70,000/day, and Italy over 50,000/day.

And what about the Antibody tests - we bought 17.5m of them, but none work!!

The UK's response at governmental level has been almost completely shambolic. The continued lack of PPE is an absolute scandal. The BBC (with a few notable exceptions) seems to be aligning itself with the Daily Mail and the "red tops" (eg: huge focus on Bojo, and even Bojo's father, rather than telling the story of what's actually happening in hospitals and care homes).

But on the plus side, our village shop and the local pub are amazing - they have had to completely re-engineer their businesses, and are now delivering all sorts of stuff (on foot) throughout the village :)

Think Hancock is doing his best but ultimately its a failure of leadership at the top, 10-14 days of dithering is now costing many more lives than were necessary

Our supreme leader was complacent, thankfully heroics in the NHS saved his life.

D

Deleted member 2719

This is such wrong, muddle headed thinking it's hard to know where to start. It implies that it is more impressive to "fight" the disease than succumb to it, in other words victim blaming. I assume you've never heard Paul Hayward's take on how offensive it is to cancer victims to use the word 'fight'. Are you implying that Hancock is more impressive than Johnson for being lucky enough to recover quicker? Or that it's more impressive than those, particularly NHS workers who have died?

And then there's the implication that you can just get straight back to work without convalescing or taking time to ensure that you really are symptom and virus free.

It may have been posted innocently but the double implication in this line is wrong on a large number of levels.

Come on GB, do you really think I am implying Matt Hancock is better than anyone else when overcoming a disease, I am saying he got on with the task in hand and was sharp in mind the minute he came back to work, I thought that was impressive.

I ignored your last comments about Starmer, as I am not into binfests when a worldwide disaster is in our midst. You just don't know who you will push over the edge.
gently as she goes is my motto at this time.

I take your point, and certainly don’t think that the government is deliberately doing anything to screw things up.

But anybody talking about dickhead journalists asking stupid questions should be watching the televised parliamentary select committee at the moment with Matt Hancock answering questions from MPs Fabian video links. His predecessor Jeremy Hunt has just given him a right mauling. Does Mr Hunt think he is a journalist?

Sorry, but who is Hunt mauling?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

That's exactly the point.

I think Jeremy Hunt is in a no lose situation. He can make himself look great giving the likes of Hancock a good going over because he's on the back benches and accountable to no one but himself.

Its a real shame for this situation to be the one which primarily calls the Government to account. Because the press are more interested in spin and interpretation than actual than facts.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Impressive:
Hancock, I already knew he was impressive, but this man is under so much pressure and he still has an amazing determination and gives such clarity consistently, only dumb ass Journalists pretend not to understand.

Dickheads: Kussenberg and virtual all journalist, not sure anyone needs an explanation on this one.

could you please confirm for me that you are in fact, a journalist

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the issue is that their "power" is restricted by their foresight, philosophy and intellect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here