[Politics] People who have impressed/surprised you so far through this crisis (and who's been crap)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 2719

the issue is that their "power" is restricted by their foresight, philosophy and intellect

I suppose you should tell our scientist that.

Time to grow up and pull together on this one.

Roger and out.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Whilst so many critics have the benefit of hindsight?

politicians do (for what ever reason) choose to do it, it isn't thrust upon them.

their first priority is the safety of the people, and the threat of a pandemic has been known about for years.

hindsight is easy, but so is foresight when experts tell you the answers

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That's exactly the point.

I think Jeremy Hunt is in a no lose situation. He can make himself look great giving the likes of Hancock a good going over because he's on the back benches and accountable to no one but himself.

Its a real shame for this situation to be the one which primarily calls the Government to account. Because the press are more interested in spin and interpretation than actual than facts.

It has been said elsewhere, but political journalists might not be the best people to be attending the daily briefings compared to, say, health correspondents, who are less likely to be trying for a 'Gotcha' moment.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do you think it's helpful asking over and over about the exit plan when seemingly it's only opposition MPs and the tabloid press who are bothered about it?

I wouldn't agree that those are the only groups who are interested in the answer.

I think a lot of people would be interested to hear some indication of how things will happen, even if it is vague and dependent on various things happening.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely. Khan as hopeless as the Chinese response initially.

Indeed, so useless he wasn't even invited to attend the early COBRA meetings on the Covid-19 crisis.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Do you think it's helpful asking over and over about the exit plan when seemingly it's only opposition MPs and the tabloid press who are bothered about it?

The vice-president of the CBI (I think that was his role, I wasn't watching too closely) on Question Time last night was saying that businesses desperately need to know this. They need to plan ahead for re-opening, or perhaps not re-opening, and what kind of trade they are likely to be doing as the lockdown lifts.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm impressed by what Hancock says he's going to do.

I'm somewhat unimpressed by what Hancock has actually done.

I judge people by their actions, not their words

This comes close to how I see it. Hancock has managed to show that he genuinely cares, and is trying, but the results of his (in)actions aren't looking good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think Hancock is doing his best but ultimately its a failure of leadership at the top, 10-14 days of dithering is now costing many more lives than were necessary

Our supreme leader was complacent, thankfully heroics in the NHS saved his life.

Yes, dither and delay.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It's just not fair, I want to know when the lockdown is going to finish, when the vaccine will be ready, exact date if you don't mind, when I can watch football again, when can I wander around aimlessly, it's just not fair, who can I blame?? :tantrum:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
politicians do (for what ever reason) choose to do it, it isn't thrust upon them.

their first priority is the safety of the people, and the threat of a pandemic has been known about for years.

hindsight is easy, but so is foresight when experts tell you the answers

Perhaps you should run for PM ?

When was this pandemic first known about? I thought it was first discovered in December 2019.
You obviously know more than the government.

So you would have sanctioned spending millions on PPE, testing kits for a new virus and facemasks in 2018?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's just not fair, I want to know when the lockdown is going to finish, when the vaccine will be ready, exact date if you don't mind, when I can watch football again, when can I wander around aimlessly, it's just not fair, who can I blame?? :tantrum:

I don't think "I would like to know roughly what the plan is for when the lockdown does end, and what kinds of signs are we waiting for to start easing it off?" is really fairly surmised by your comments above.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
That's exactly the point.

I think Jeremy Hunt is in a no lose situation. He can make himself look great giving the likes of Hancock a good going over because he's on the back benches and accountable to no one but himself.

Its a real shame for this situation to be the one which primarily calls the Government to account. Because the press are more interested in spin and interpretation than actual than facts.

Hunt is parliament's version of Piers Morgan - unceremoniously sacked and trying to show everyone that it was a mistake.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

When was this pandemic first known about? I thought it was first discovered in December 2019.

So you would have sanctioned spending millions on PPE, testing kits for a new virus and facemasks in 2018?

too many skeletons in my closet

my teachers' told me "not a case of if, but when", and i'm old

yes, and the kits have to be manufactered

blimey, you're right, i am better than this lot

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

That's what Exercise Cygnus basically recommended. That was an exercise for the Government to see how the country would cope in a situation similar to the one that has developed. The Government did not implement the findings/recommendations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports