Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I admit that I was a bit disappointed about the reaction after the Leeds game - not that a few idiots booed, but that they weren't immediately drowned out by cheers for what had been a pretty dominating display. But it was late and cold and most people just wanted to get home, so that didn't happen. Since he could go inside into the warm, maybe that didn't occur to him.
It was a handful of idiots who were just very frustrated by all the pressure and no goals. It was only a few moments and just a token comment on the failure to score which should have been brushed away as such, not built up as the narrative for the game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I admit that I was a bit disappointed about the reaction after the Leeds game - not that a few idiots booed, but that they weren't immediately drowned out by cheers for what had been a pretty dominating display. But it was late and cold and most people just wanted to get home, so that didn't happen. Since he could go inside into the warm, maybe that didn't occur to him.

It was a handful of idiots who were just very frustrated by all the pressure and no goals. It was only a few moments and just a token comment on the failure to score which should have been brushed away as such, not built up as the narrative for the game.

My memory of that day is that the booing was quite quickly drowned out by applause and cheers. Which is why it seemed so odd he made so much of it.

It was also that the booing was directed at the then 8 games without a win and over 2 months since our last open play goal at the amex, rather than booing that one game. (And from what I remember, Everton failed to win their 7th game in a row that weekend and were booed off without comment).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Technically they were the club's employees rather than his.
Technically yes, practically no - people work more for people than companies In my experience. Did the same myself once - left an organisation due to a restructuring I didn’t like, and took 5 of my senior team with me to my new place.

My memory of that day is that the booing was quite quickly drowned out by applause and cheers. Which is why it seemed so odd he made so much of it.

It was also that the booing was directed at the then 8 games without a win and over 2 months since our last open play goal at the amex, rather than booing that one game. (And from what I remember, Everton failed to win their 7th game in a row that weekend and were booed off without comment).
Likewise the few boos at the end of the forest game 3 weeks ago simply a little bit of frustration at a dominant display with no goals.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I didnt boo after the Leeds match, but I suspect the reasons for those who did is more nuanced than that result alone.

As you say, it was the 8th game in a winless run.

We had 20 shots but only 4 on target.

We hit the woodwork 3 times.

Neal Maupay missed 2 sitters.

And when we really needed a goal, we brought on Jurgen Locadia for his first Premier League appearance in 14 months. And as we already knew, He was shit.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
On topic: is there actually any news as to where this is at with Paul Winstanley? Do we have any hope of keeping him?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can understand this narrative of brushing it off and not being so thin skinned, but when we as fans talk about a bit of booing and the reaction of managers, we never seem to really acknowledge the impact it has on the players.

This is obviously just hypothetical, but as a guess Potter has gone in the dressing room and some of the senior players, maybe Dunk as captain especially are livid that they have been booed off the pitch after playing well and giving everything. So after hearing all that, Potter has come out feeling like he's got to say something to back them up a bit.

I'm reading a lot about how sensitive Potter was over this – but equally as a set of fans I think we set quite a high bar for sensitivity tbh.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On topic: is there actually any news as to where this is at with Paul Winstanley? Do we have any hope of keeping him?
Paul Barber is still drafting his 'please stay here is our counter offer' email. It's taken 2 weeks so far, so suspect he is only half way through.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I can understand this narrative of brushing it off and not being so thin skinned, but when we as fans talk about a bit of booing and the reaction of managers, we never seem to really acknowledge the impact it has on the players.

This is obviously just hypothetical, but as a guess Potter has gone in the dressing room and some of the senior players, maybe Dunk as captain especially are livid that they have been booed off the pitch after playing well and giving everything. So after hearing all that, Potter has come out feeling like he's got to say something to back them up a bit.

I'm reading a lot about how sensitive Potter was over this – but equally as a set of fans I think we set quite a high bar for sensitivity tbh.
Alternatively, in your scenario, Potter could have just said 'cool your jets Dunky. It's just a few fans, as frustrated as you are in the moment, that you played so well and couldn't get the goal. We're all on the same page'.

We'll never know.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Probably just arguing over compensation - although we might have been told Winstanley was at the garden centre if that was the case.

Maybe we'll never hear of this again and he just stays with no further update ?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I genuinely didn't hear the boos that day. So couldn't cheer to drown out something I didn't hear. I suspect that would be true for a lot of people there. The Amex is a wonderful stadium in every respect APART from acoustics. I have sat in every stand and you tend to hear what is happening immediately around you, but almost nothing from the rest of the stadium. Thus widely different views on home atmosphere, noisiess of opposition fans, levels of booing etc.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I genuinely didn't hear the boos that day. So couldn't cheer to drown out something I didn't hear. I suspect that would be true for a lot of people there. The Amex is a wonderful stadium in every respect APART from acoustics. I have sat in every stand and you tend to hear what is happening immediately around you, but almost nothing from the rest of the stadium. Thus widely different views on home atmosphere, noisiess of opposition fans, levels of booing etc.
Me neither. I wasn't aware that there were boos until I read Twitter after the game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The question which prompted his little outburst was asked because Potter could clearly be seen walking around at the final whistle with an incredulous look, saying "they're booing".

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's interesting and I'm not doubting your experience at all, but it was very brief and from a small minority but noticeable nonetheless.

It was also, in my opinion, a brief showing of frustration that, in the context of a game that we should have won comfortable, we'd once again failed to score and Potter's chosen option was to put on Jurgen Locadia and young debutant Jeremy Sarmiento (incredibly unfair to throw him in to that atmosphere to try and win the game). At the time, I saw it as less a booing of Potter (who I thought had gone into a Mourinho style protest to show he needed the club to invest in a striker) and more of a booing that we'd run out of ideas. It was absolutely bonkers Locadia ever appeared, and at that moment we clearly needed another striking option. How it became the fans were baying for Potter's head, I'll never know.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good point. I used to have a season ticket in the WSU, where you usually heard only the noise coming from fans up there. Now I’m at the front of ESU at the North Stand end and get a lot more sound from the rest of the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here