[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They were talking about booing on Talk Sport this morning and how it’s allegedly got worse recently. Tony Cascarino says it’s abuse :rolleyes:

Surprisingly the media boo kings Albion didn’t get a mention
Now Potter's moved on we're back below the radar again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, he's right. The camera's picked up his 'They're booing' comment and the media being what it is (It is what it is) they ran with it. And ran, and ran, and....
After any match where the home crowd boo their own team the interviewers will ask manager's their opinion of it - happens every time there is booing, part of the narrative of pressure on the manager, same with Southampton and Leeds at the weekend, Lampard comments on it every time it happens at Goodison, Rogers has had the same questions at Leicester. Automatically triggers the question.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No, he's right. The camera's picked up his 'They're booing' comment and the media being what it is (It is what it is) they ran with it. And ran, and ran, and....
Chelsea are really starting to get on my tits , it's a shame because a lot of my mates are Chelsea fans but i've told 'em ....straight up ....button it you caaants , find yer own staff , don't nick all ours .....frankly , get f***ed. f*** the media as well , bunch of fannies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has he left yet?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Chelsea are really starting to get on my tits , it's a shame because a lot of my mates are Chelsea fans but i've told 'em ....straight up ....button it you caaants , find yer own staff , don't nick all ours .....frankly , get f***ed. f*** the media as well , bunch of fannies.
Get some new mates Sydney!

Always f***ing hated Chelsea, so was never going to wish Potter well there. Had our boo up though so am now enjoying the De Zerbi ride.

Is Winstanley off or not then?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Get some new mates Sydney!

Always f***ing hated Chelsea, so was never going to wish Potter well there. Had our boo up though so am now enjoying the De Zerbi ride.

Is Winstanley off or not then?
i'm not sure mate but if he goes them chelsea mugs won't be getting any ammo off me for christmas ....caaaants.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed. I remembered his comment about the history lesson, but I’d forgotten he also said we didn’t understand the game!! I realise my antipathy towards Potter is entirely driven by the fact he’s no longer our manager….but I keep discovering new reasons to dislike him!
Anyone who booed that night doesn't understand the game. So he was speaking factually at least.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Anyone who booed that night doesn't understand the game. So he was speaking factually at least.
He could of just said "I understand some of them might be frustrated as we have not been able to put our chances away for some time now, but we keep tryng"
But then it was a question he probably didn't think he would be asked and was frustrated as well.

The "history" thing is out of order though, we know we were sh!thouse for a long time and we had to fight really hard to save our club, we lived it.

He will need to give Chelsea fans a history lesson though because unil Abramovich came along they were one of the smallest London clubs and about to go down the toilet trying punch above their weight. They now they think he is not good enough for a "massive" club like Chelsea. They seem to have amnesia caused by having years of media blow smoke up the @rse.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He could of just said "I understand some of them might be frustrated as we have not been able to put our chances away for some time now, but we keep tryng"
But then it was a question he probably didn't think he would be asked and was frustrated as well.

The "history" thing is out of order though, we know we were sh!thouse for a long time and we had to fight really hard to save our club, we lived it.

He will need to give Chelsea fans a history lesson though because unil Abramovich came along they were one of the smallest London clubs and about to go down the toilet trying punch above their weight. They now they think he is not good enough for a "massive" club like Chelsea. They seem to have amnesia caused by having years of media blow smoke up the @rse.
I'm not defending what Potter said, he could easily of batted it away as irrelevant, or just accept it for what it was as you've said.

In relation to the 'history' part. Only people over say 40 years old are going to remember what that fight was like. Only people over the age of 25 or so are going to remember us ever getting relegated. So within the context of a 2021 crowd inside the Amex, how many do you think are part of your 'we lived it'? And, more to the point, who on earth would be booing a Brighton side drawing at home retaining 9th position in the Premier League who lived through those periods - not many I would think. So perhaps Potter was just referring to those people who genuinely don't know their history. I was at the Forest game NW corner and a few people booed - I mean, WTF!?

Oh yeah, and Chelsea fans, I mean there is no hope there.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Potter's reaction to the crowd and this interview 100% created the story.

Condescending prick, understand the game I forgot about that....
As I understand and remember it was a god awfully frustrating game something like 20 shots only 3 or 4 on target... Frustration, that is all it was, and he has to go on about us needing a history lesson !!
Well in a way he was right about the history lesson if you want to nit pick, because, we had to go back 8 games until we last won.

The more I see him now, the more I am glad he has gone, all that scratching his beard and pontificating about how good the opposition are or were.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Indeed. I remembered his comment about the history lesson, but I’d forgotten he also said we didn’t understand the game!! I realise my antipathy towards Potter is entirely driven by the fact he’s no longer our manager….but I keep discovering new reasons to dislike him!

The sucking air through his teeth thing.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nothing good comes of obsession with an ex. I’m happy with our manager and our squad, and now I’ve got over my initial anger at the mid-season removal of our entire coaching staff, I’m more than happy with the replacements and wouldn’t have the old ones back.

If Paul W does toddle off up the road, I’m confident we’ll find somebody better to replace him. At this stage I’d just rather that he either went, or got off the metaphorical pot.
Whoever is spotting these players from South America is doing a good job. Perhaps promote him but leave him there?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whoever is spotting these players from South America is doing a good job. Perhaps promote him but leave him there?
I don’t think it’s just a case of spotting talent. It’s more a case of TBs algorithms identifying potential and then a team of “scouts” checking the data and most importantly the player”s behaviours, attitude, etc, etc. if satisfied the process moves to discussions and negotiations with agents, legal advisors, immigration, clubs, etc

What I’m trying to say it that it isn’t a case of a bloke in a sheepskin jacket giving us the nod.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Caicedo bid incoming

No CL experience. Only played for Brighton .......... Brighton, FFS! He'll be fully qualified shit in less rhan 3 weeks. FFS, they're entitled to something better than him, shirley?! A bigger name, at least.

They are a big club, you know...........

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Nothing to do with a really decent performance, a point and Albion sat in 9th and the rest of football going 'why the hell are they booing?' - it was because Potter had an incredulous look. Okay.
Clearly you know something I don't. They teed up the interview at the time by showing those exact pictures and referred to it, but whatever you say :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports