Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Bigley - go away mate

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
BTW

In no way am I defending what Johnson said but Paul Bigley sure;y should have a bit more respect for himself and his brother than to be spouting all manner of stuff all over the press about what's happened. It's leaving a bad taste in my mouth over the whole sorry situation.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I have sympathy for Paul Bigley, many of us know how it feels to loose a brother, and his comments about Boris Johnson are totally justified, however the editorial in The Spectator was pretty much spot on, they have dwelled on disaster for years almost as if it is their divine right to have the worlds problems on their shoulders and I have to say after reading it there is pretty much nothing I can totally disagree with.

Other cities have had equal disaster, such as Aberdeen after Piper Alpha but seem to get on and rebuild, Liverpool seems to be a city stuck in the past, to bring any mention of 'fans united' into it is ridiculous whether football is involved or not, they really do need to move on.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
caz99 said:
boris johnson was correct in some of his comments, hillsborough was a terrible tragedy ...
The thing is though, as London Irish said, Johnson repeated the Sun's original libel that Hillsborough was all the fault of 'drunken football fans'. For that alone he deserves all the abuse he's getting.

Cairnsinho

Jul 14, 2003
Liverpool supporters are not dwelling on the past, they choose to remember.

Liverpudlians do not want sympathy from outsiders over Hillsborough, but they do insist on respect. I think this is fair.

Many even, as much as it may pain them, accept peoples derision of their continued mourning and sentimentality as a matter of opinion, a personal choice, no matter how hard it may be for them to accept.

The article attributed to Mr Johnson pointed the finger at drunken fans being responsible for the deaths of "around 50 Hillsborough victims". It was incredibly sloppy journalism, hugely disrespectful, and that is the reason for the reaction. He has apologised for the piece and although it was probably instigated by a hefty shove from Mr Howard it has widely been seen as sincere, but admittedly not by all.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Aside from the Boris Johnson incident, after the execution, his OTHER brother said the British goverment had done "everything it could" to prevent what had happened and showed great dignity in such a time of terrible grief.

Paul Bigley however continued to bleat on about the government having blood on it's hands.

FFS , the guy does not even live in this country, so how can he defend the honour of the Liverpool people?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Johnson expressed an opinion in his paper and recognised that it upset some people. In my view he at least had the balls to go and face some of those people to apologise for any offence caused, including some (in my opinion unwarranted) abuse from Paul Bigley. He was prepared to deal directly with his critics in exactly the same way that Blair and his cronies aren't. And Johnson neither killed anyone, nor put them in danger - he just expressed an opinion.

The decision to send troops to Iraq (and therefore the reason that Ken Bigley was there in the first place) was entirely down to Blair. Haven't seen much of him directly aoplogising to people, have you?

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Having lived in Liverpool for 4 years I would say that scousers do get more than their fair share of stick. Its a great city full of friendly people, don't tar them all with the same brush.

With regards to Bigley, the episode is over now lets move on. Boris Johnson was completely tactless in what he said but everyones entitled to their opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here