Paul Bigley - go away mate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I know it's been done before but when is this guy gonna go away? Why are people putting him on radio phone in's? I thought this was making his mother dangerously ill?

He added: "You made a terrible, terrible mistake saying what you did and you have apologised for that.
So let it rest

"I think the power of your comments are such that I don't think anybody in the public eye wants to see you again.
WE don't?

Watch Boris Johnson's Radio Merseyside phone-in
"My personal feeling towards you are you are a self-centred pompous twit - get out of public life, go and do something in the private sector."
Could say the same about you, pal

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its hard to criticise someone going through so much grief mate. Imagine what a loose cannon you would be if one of your family had their haeds hacked off for the internet weirdo's. Let him have his say he needs to do it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incidentally, I totally agree with Boris Johnson with his sentiments on Liverpool.

Is there a more self-centered, sanctimonious city on the planet?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Isn't it good a whole city comes together for its lost ones.

Whoever kills one kills a world enire.

Schnidler's List 1993

Phaedrus at home

Oct 20, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Simster said:
Incidentally, I totally agree with Boris Johnson with his sentiments on Liverpool.

Absolutely spot-on mate. I remember the ex-Liverpudlians of Lancing and Sompting getting together for mass public cry-ins after Hilsborough. It was sickening and distasteful as none of them knew any of the dead anymore than you or I but they carried on as if their whole families had died. Boris was only saying what most people outside Liverpool, and some within, think. The fact that he had to apologise is a disgrace. His sentiments were that the mass out-pouring of grief over Ken Bigley's murder was disproportionate and he was right.

As Ian McNabb put it in Up Here In The North Of England - "the Southerners don't like us, who can blame them, seem's we're always in the spotlight".

Simster said:

Spot on. I accept that not eberyone there is like that, but do the residents of Brighton cry their eyes out and demand apologies and enquiries on the anniversary of the Brighton Bombing every year?

Do they b*llocks! Live goes on, never forget but don't dwell.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I know it's been done before but when is this guy gonna go away? Why are people putting him on radio phone in's? I thought this was making his mother dangerously ill?

He added: "You made a terrible, terrible mistake saying what you did and you have apologised for that.
So let it rest

"I think the power of your comments are such that I don't think anybody in the public eye wants to see you again.
WE don't?

[/B]

Could someone give me a bit of context to these quotes.

Are the above quotes things that Bigley said, or things said to/about him, and in relation to which original comments?

Me so confused.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simster said:

Have to agree there!

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
I wouldn't say that the Liverpudians are THAT bad, but they should learn to look at the way they are reacting to boris going to their city to apologise.

He has just APOLOGISED!!

They are kind of proving his point a little bit...

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Having just listened to the phone-in, the second caller had a very good point that it appears that most people (myself included) haven't actually read the article and have based their views on a collection of soundbites that were strung together by the media.

As for Paul Bigley, I don't know emotions are running through his head that make him think that it's acceptable to appear on a radio phone-in and abuse the guest. I'm certain of one thing though, his appearance was guaranteed in order to up the ratings. So even Boris Johnson's trip to Liverpool to apologise was hijacked by the media! What a world we live in :nono:

Last edited:

Paul Bigley :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't believe the Spectator trotted out the same blood libel as the Sun over Hillsborough. As football fans, we should be decrying these attempts to bismirch Liverpool fans yet again - heard about Fans United anyone? - rather than offering any sympathy to that twat Johnson.

What is that obnoxious right-wing rags like the Sun and the Spectator have got against Liverpool?

This idea that Liverpool fans "grieved too much" over their loss is bolix. We go on far more about losing a f***ing ground. No comparison, is there?

larus

The point the Spectator was trying to make is the sensationalisation of tragedies by the media and the out-pouring of unreasonable grief over an event that people as individuals have no real connection over.

I'm not saying that it's not a terrible thing that has happened to the Bigley family; of course it is. But why is it that over the last 5-10 years these type of events lead to more and more 'days of mourning' and public displays of grief.

I don't remember the same for the mother & child that were clubbed to death in Kent a few years ago (the one where the other daughter Josie survived). To me, that is more horrific than Ken Bigleys death.

Diana, Bigley, etc, where does it all stop? You can imagine in a few years time the headlines. "Country in mourning, Queens favourite Corgi dies".

It's seems as though people need to be connected to events to mask an emptiness in their own life. Not me, I'm happy being a shallow git :lolol: .

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
London Irish said:
Paul Bigley :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't believe the Spectator trotted out the same blood libel as the Sun over Hillsborough. As football fans, we should be decrying these attempts to bismirch Liverpool fans yet again - heard about Fans United anyone? - rather than offering any sympathy to that twat Johnson.

What is that obnoxious right-wing rags like the Sun and the Spectator have got against Liverpool?

This idea that Liverpool fans "grieved too much" over their loss is bolix. We go on far more about losing a f***ing ground. No comparison, is there?

:clap: :clap:

Totally agree with you L.I. I was going to add something similar but you've saved me the job.

Boris is a twat of the highest order and he may well have gone to apologise but it was only because Michael f**king Howard told him to- to try and win back some of the thousands of votes he'd lost. Sums up both of the shallow twats quite nicely!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Add me to the list (Bwian LI & Brovian)

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Sorry, but I was sickened by the whole 'united in grief' display - not that it is confined to Liverpool.

It reminded me of those blood curdling scenes after the death od the Princess of wales. Utterly nauseating, shallow and affected.

Something that I find so repellant in todays society. when we look at the veterans on rememberance sunday who went through hell themselves, we should try and see that grief must always be coupled with dignity and a sense of perspective.

Otherwise all perspective is lost and then where are we........

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Finally some sense on this subject.

Liverpudlians are caring, compassionate people. Just because we live in the "keep ourselves to ourselves" south where most of us are lucky if we know are next door neighbour's name that does not give anyone the right to criticize a more caring community.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Digweeds Trousers said:
Sorry, but I was sickened by the whole 'united in grief' display - not that it is confined to Liverpool.

It reminded me of those blood curdling scenes after the death od the Princess of wales. Utterly nauseating, shallow and affected.

Something that I find so repellant in todays society. when we look at the veterans on rememberance sunday who went through hell themselves, we should try and see that grief must always be coupled with dignity and a sense of perspective.

Otherwise all perspective is lost and then where are we........

i have to agree with this and a few others above.

the bigley case got blown out of control by the media not helped with his brother spouting off about blair and the government. its a terrible tragedy and i cant imagine what they are going through (well sort of i did lose my dad at 13) however as someone pointed out there have been far more horrific deaths taken place over the past year and even months that surely deserve more coverage.

once again all this has been taken and turned into political spin for the election. his brother needs to keep quiet now everyone has heard what he has to say.

boris johnson was correct in some of his comments, hillsborough was a terrible tragedy however why do we have to keep having it brought up and everyone made to feel like naughty schoolchildren every time someone says something against the scousers or liverpool. times change and people have to move on. like all the war veterans who have lived through far worse and most have come out dignified and proud however they will never forget

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports