Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's letter to The Argus

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"And, very significantly, despite the losses reported last week, our strong actions are working and we will meet our Financial Fair Play deficit target of £8 million this year. "

With the point that our last reports included some exceptional items, that they wanted out of the way, it looks like that £15m loss was not all that it seemed.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
"And, very significantly, despite the losses reported last week, our strong actions are working and we will meet our Financial Fair Play deficit target of £8 million this year. "

With the point that our last reports included some exceptional items, that they wanted out of the way, it looks like that £15m loss was not all that it seemed.

Yes made it far more palatable, Once the academy is up and running can see us going from strength to strength

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Would you rather have someone doing a terrible job on a cheaper salary?

Please read the whole thread, and see what I've written.

I have no problem whatsoever with his salary, and I think he's doing a good job. I was just pointing out that he is extremely well paid, so would expect him to be doing a good job considering the money he's on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't care what anyone says, i like that man and really do think he has the best interests of the club at heart. We're in good hands.

Isn't "Barber out" more of a joke these days than anything else. If anybody does really think it, I think they ought to revisit their opinions. We are in good hands.

And, with others, I would be fascinated to know how much Bridcutt really did go for.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know. Given that it's a club record, why all the secrecy?

Good letter from Mr Barber though. And let's say it again - 23,000 STHs. We've come a long way.

What's to be gained for the club by sharing the fee? Nothing really.

As I'm sure TB would say, never show your hand until you have to or want to. We're still in the game of buying and selling players and so it's best that agents and other clubs know as little as possible about club business.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a kit deal which i believe Nike and Adidas are fighting to sign to Brighton and supply all their kit and clothing range.

..from their teamwear generic collection. Don't get too excited.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Anyone who thinks the academy/training ground isn't worth the money, or that our recent business has been 'abysmal', is quite frankly an idiot. Barber is not paid to be popular, he's paid to make unpopular decisions, without the emotional baggage you or I have with BHAFC, but with the club's interests at heart. It says a great deal about the man that despite being in a job and making decisions that see him branded a wrong'un (according to the misers), he is so open and honest, and generally very well respected and well trusted by the fans. There were many who feared the club's connection with its supporters would diminish as we moved into the era of corporate mega-money football brands, in a shiny behemoth of a stadium - but actually Barber is proving to be a likeable and forthcoming link between the club and the fanbase, and he should be applauded. Precious few CEOs would be so hands-on.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He doesn't have to give us answers, but he does, which I like.

I must've missed the part where Lewis Dunk showed he was good enough for the first team though..

Port Vale away and 30 minutes at home against Reading certainly suggested he was coming someway back to the form at the start of the 2011/12 season.

If Dunk can concentrate purely on football and get a run in the side, I would wager a decent sum he will play top level football either with us or somewhere else.

His still raw and prone to the odd lapse in concentration but his great at bringing the ball out of defence and distributes the ball well from the back, which is much needed when teams park 10/11 players behind the ball at the Amex.

Between March, Forster-Caskey, Ince & Dunk the future looks good and I also think Chicksen in the brief times I've seen him also shows a lot of promise.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I know. Given that it's a club record, why all the secrecy?

Good letter from Mr Barber though. And let's say it again - 23,000 STHs. We've come a long way.

I remember when Arsenal sold Anelka for 22m they then got their pants pulled down on Wiltord who they ended up paying 15m for when his club had accepted 8m the week before. If other clubs know you have money to spend they put their hand in your shirt and squeeze your tit till it's purple.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here