Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber to Saudi?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’d be very surprised if PB went for that. He does not come across at all like it’s the sort of thing he would do, is unlikely to be seduced by the millions, and has far higher morals than many might think.

He is bound to be one of the first names on the list, but I think he’d say “thank you but I’m not interested
Can Bozza or someone E mail Barber direct and ask him outright ?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I remember an interview after Potter left and he was praised for the succession planning, he looked into the camera and said, “Everyone is replaceable apart from Tony.” It begged the question “Even you?” which didn’t come but the look on his face said he was expecting it. He’s right as well and there won’t be any shortage of candidates for Tony to sift through.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Huge loss if true. ‘Some’ don’t realise how Influetial he is and hide behind the ‘bloom poker playing master’ guise. Bloom is a legend but barber has pulled the strings and has involved himself in every part of the operation to take us up stage by stage.

Perhaps it’s time for a change but if you think we’ll get anyone as good as barber I think you’ll be disappointed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
10 years for a CEO in many industries is ‘to long’ and you’d get the accusation of lacking ambition - football a bit different of course. Being Vice Chairman is a bit different as well and a show of trust - but I wonder where his next move would be anyway

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
’this is a wonderful opportunity to change the face of football and help drive the inclusivity agenda in the Kingdom, and an exciting project…..’ etc etc…….
No one would really care about or believe those empty words.

It would be about cash in the bank.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
10 years for a CEO in many industries is ‘to long’ and you’d get the accusation of lacking ambition - football a bit different of course. Being Vice Chairman is a bit different as well and a show of trust - but I wonder where his next move would be anyway
Not if you are already one of the highest paid CEO in the PL working for the best chairman . Another million a year is not going to transform his life but another 5 million probably would . That doesn’t leave many football options except places like Saudi !

Another worry is the fact that he comes from a working class background., he’s not used to wealth so he might think it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to jump from very well paid to rich ! Hope I’m wrong .

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The footballers are living in nearby wet states and commuting in. I imagine his wife would do the same. Or stay here and he flies back on a private jet very regularly.

The money would be insane. That's their plan. I think PBOBE is on £2-3m pa. They could turn that into £20m tax free and a five year contact. Principles tend not to survive first contact with generational wealth.
Does there not come a point where folk have enough money though ? I mean, he obviously owns his own house, must have enough to get his kids through uni, and have seven figures in the bank.

There must come a point where folk feel they've made it. I don't get it.

Or maybe I'm just happy with a humble life. Which I consider affluent when I look at how the other half of the planet have to live.

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
TBH I really wouldn't blame him for going, it's a HUGE amount of money for him, he really is one of the best and would be sorely missed but he'd go with my blessing, he has done great things for this club.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
“Kop Outs have valued the allyship shown by @Jhenderson,” a statement said. “We are appalled and concerned that anyone might consider working for a sportswashing operation for a regime where women & LGBT+ people are oppressed and that regularly tops the world death sentence table …

“Gerrard’s participation in this sportswashing is particularly galling given his previous support for LA Galaxy teammate Robbie Rogers [who came out as gay in 2013]. When someone’s made a fortune, should money tempt them to go to work? Maybe they should be asking themselves those questions. We hope that Jordan Henderson proves to be a man of his word and stays true to the values of our club, which so far he has been an absolute embodiment of.”

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Does there not come a point where folk have enough money though ? I mean, he obviously owns his own house, must have enough to get his kids through uni, and have seven figures in the bank.

Or maybe I'm just happy with a humble life. Which I consider affluent when I look at how the other half of the planet have to live.
I guess it's the difference between your kids being alright, as well as your grand kids +. I expect your grand kids + are going to have worse issues to deal with than a bit of money though.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I’d be very surprised if PB went for that. He does not come across at all like it’s the sort of thing he would do, is unlikely to be seduced by the millions, and has far higher morals than many might think.

He is bound to be one of the first names on the list, but I think he’d say “thank you but I’m not interested”
He has done a brilliant job initially at a championship club and has transformed our whole operation. He has undoubtedly had contact from many interested parties over his tenure probably offering significant pay increases to what we could afford yet he has stayed for over a decade. Why move?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I remember an interview after Potter left and he was praised for the succession planning, he looked into the camera and said, “Everyone is replaceable apart from Tony.” It begged the question “Even you?” which didn’t come but the look on his face said he was expecting it. He’s right as well and there won’t be any shortage of candidates for Tony to sift through.
I thought in one interview he did add "even me".

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
It would be a real shame if he left but you always gotta do what is right for you and your family in life, if that is untold wealth then great, he will always be loved by us.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

He earns around £2.5 M a year , being financial sound is not something I expect he will ever have to worry about . However ambitious people always want more .

If he went to Saudi on a 5 year deal , he could bank £25m at least or even more if they tripled his salary .

How else is he going to pay for a house in the south of France and a penthouse in South beach , Miami . !!! Lol

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A lot of people can be bought.
Some people can't be bought.

This is where we find out about PB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here