Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber to Saudi?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He'd be trading a huge reputation and very decent salary in English football for mega petrodollars, a very odd lifestyle and association with a nasty regime. Personally, I would find it impossible to empathise if he went for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Edit: maybe better to delete this.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d be very surprised if PB went for that. He does not come across at all like it’s the sort of thing he would do, is unlikely to be seduced by the millions, and has far higher morals than many might think.

He is bound to be one of the first names on the list, but I think he’d say “thank you but I’m not interested”
This. He's been very active and vocal supporting and working in women's football; for this alone I cannot see him taking a job out there.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I’d be very surprised if PB went for that. He does not come across at all like it’s the sort of thing he would do, is unlikely to be seduced by the millions, and has far higher morals than many might think.

He is bound to be one of the first names on the list, but I think he’d say “thank you but I’m not interested”
I’d be surprised if he wasn’t very tempted. 10+years at Brighton and a man who has one last challenge left in him. His family are now independent and I imagine the money on offer may well swing it.

This could be a very big moment for us.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Would be a huge jump in income but I’d still be very surprised. Very close to Bloom and the vice chair role is a big deal

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yep, I can see this happening. The sanctions horse has bolted with allowing the takeover of Newcastle and they can’t be sanctioned for being the worlds highest payers. I can see football being bought just like horse racing and Golf has been by Arab states, in fact it is already happening here.

We SHOULD be very worried imo, they could decimate European football couldn’t they? Might make the English League a lower quality but more competitive in the long term? I guess the idea is to build Saudi teams into the best in the world. What then for City and Newcastle?
They are certainly trying, but I dont think they will succeed. Even if they did, I am not worried, I don't like it, but considering the numbers of foreign players in the PL, I don't think we can moan about our league being plundered by a foreign one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. He's been very active and vocal supporting and working in women's football; for this alone I cannot see him taking a job out there.
They are growing the women’s game massively as well (just look at the recruits announced by Al-Ittihad ladies recently for example) - he‘d be exactly the kind of mouthpiece/validation hire they would want. Anyone is going to be tempted by maybe 10 or 20 times their current salary, tax-free.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Doesn’t he have shares in the Albion?
Doesn’t mean he can’t leave I suppose but may make it trickier.
Couple of things;
Bloom would want a very high compensation sum for Barber to leave.
Everyone is replaceable and Barber has had 10 years here.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
£££'s in his bank account or a vice chairmanship of a PL club ?

This could go either way.

We'll see what his decision and his priority is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Doesn’t he have shares in the Albion?
Doesn’t mean he can’t leave I suppose but may make it trickier.
Couple of things;
Bloom would want a very high compensation sum for Barber to leave.
Everyone is replaceable and Barber has had 10 years here.
‘Very high’ to anyone other than the Saudis is pocket money to them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are growing the women’s game massively as well (just look at the recruits announced by Al-Ittihad ladies recently for example) - he‘d be exactly the kind of mouthpiece/validation hire they would want. Anyone is going to be tempted by maybe 10 or 20 times their current salary, tax-free.
Really? I thought they were still quite backward with women and their rights and roles.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Irrespective of the moral argument, the loyalty argument, the nasty regime argument and a million and one other arguments in favour of him staying, the eye watering amount of dosh he will be offered will make it incredibly hard to refuse.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Paul is already a wealthy man if he takes this job I’ll lose all respect for him. Barber imo is the best ceo out there and any major club worth its salt would want to recruit him. Saudi Arabia is the antithesis of everything that our club and city stands for, i‘d consider taking their money as a big F You to our club and values of openness and inclusivity.

Spare me the generational money BS these are people are millionaires already, the cash takers are just greedy

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Wouldn't begrudge him taking it. Hes had 10 years here. Time for a new challenge and maybe time we brought in some fresh ideas.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Irrespective of the moral argument, the loyalty argument, the nasty regime argument and a million and one other arguments in favour of him staying, the eye watering amount of dosh he will be offered will make it incredibly hard to refuse.
This.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I'd be surprised if he turns the 'project' and the money down, to be honest.

Obviously it could be an opportunity for someone slightly more open minded to fan consultation to come in, which is where most of the (relatively minor) gripes with him come from. But ultimately it will be a massive massive loss to the football club as it seems as though Barbs runs the show most of the time, hence he's Deputy Chair. Big test for Tony Bloom and for all the noise about our succession planning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here