Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Paul Barber press conference

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lots of expected answers but I think from watching that, a new manager could still be a week or so away.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Lots of expected answers but I think from watching that, a new manager could still be a week or so away.

I guess it depends how available our preferred choice is. If its that De Zerbi guy who is unattached from a club then it could be a matter of days. But with all the interest in the job it could be a week before they've spoken to all the options.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I guess it depends how available our preferred choice is. If its that De Zerbi guy who is unattached from a club then it could be a matter of days. But with all the interest in the job it could be a week before they've spoken to all the options.

I got the impression that they will be interviewing several candidates, so there might not be a single preferred choice at this time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watched that! Far too pragmatic and sensible, where are the hissy fits?

Just joking

I am pleased to see that, as we thought, while we quite rightly feel disappointed and angry the club is just getting on with it.

This. 'Whilst you're all pissing your pants, we'll just crack on'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reassuring

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's very worried about bumps in the road - where does he live? On a dirt track? :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's played that interview with the straightest of bats, to the extent that there's hardly anything to take away from it. That said, he is an impressive character in his understanding and sensitivity.

The one thing that strikes me is his admission that the club prepares a Plan B for the departure of every person at the club. This backs up why we saw the addition of Billy Gilmour and Levi Colwill (I'd like to know what the Plan B is if a bid came in for Robert Sanchez or Danny Welbeck in January).

Indeed, you could argue that the club's diligence in having a back-up plan makes the en masse departure of Potter and the coaches almost inevitable. They probably didn't give a second thought to how the club might cope without them because they knew Barber has a Plan B list for everyone.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10386493 said:
Interesting, shame there was no mustard on show, played it safe there

I think these interviews (plus Crofty) were conducted on Friday judging by some of the questions. So black was the appropriate tone.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think these interviews (plus Crofty) were conducted on Friday judging by some of the questions. So black was the appropriate tone.

I'm just listening now. Which questions point towards it taking place on Friday?

Edit: having finished listening to it, I couldn't find anything. When discussing Crofts, Lallana, he did say that they were in at 7 'on the morning that the training took place' -- and didn't use 'this morning' or 'today' -- although I'm not going to draw a conclusion from that.

Last edited:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
One person who has been loyal to Tony Bloom and the Albion is Paul Barber.

Almost certainly he has had tempting offers but he is still here. And he is very important to the club, especially in times like these....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One person who has been loyal to Tony Bloom and the Albion is Paul Barber.

Almost certainly he has had tempting offers but he is still here. And he is very important to the club, especially in times like these....

Barber making him vice chairman is hugely symbolic and would be difficult for another club to offer

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm just listening now. Which questions point towards it taking place on Friday?

Edit: having finished listening to it, I couldn't find anything. When discussing Crofts, Lallana, he did say that they were in at 7 'on the morning that the training took place' -- and didn't use 'this morning' or 'today' -- although I'm not going to draw a conclusion from that.

Also said "this weekend where we had" when mentioning the two postponed games which suggests the interview was not made on Friday.

Maybe the bloke just felt like wearing a black shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here