Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Bennet's Field.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The word spiteful springs to mind. That said I did think the hotel plan was ill thought through. It dip appear a bit cheap and would have diminished the look, much like these student buildings.
Lewes DC did actually refuse permission. The developers appealed and a public enquiry was held, and the inspector has overturned the decision. I doubt Lewes District Council are happy about this at all. I don't know what options, if any, they have now.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I presume the design will be approved/has been approved in a manner that is consistent with the Council's previous decision when they turned down the application by the club to build a hotel on site on the grounds that it was "architecturally inappropriate" and "related poorly to the adjoining stadium"???
Nope as B&H council turned down the hotel but Lewes council approved this.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I still think in future it will be a big regret of TB that he did not aquire that land. Surely worth more to Albion than a developer.

Over 500 students paying £220 a week to rent accommodation makes over £5m a year income. Going to cost a LOT to buy that now permission is approved. Definitely would be a big regret but can see why Mr Matthew Bennett has gone down this path.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yeah but now it would cost whatever the gross value of a site with 555 student houses on it - not sure that would be a sensible use of money unless he had plans to realize some value from it himself.
Yep, going to cost (tens of) millions to buy it now it has planning. If UT is happy to do that, he could turn it into a hotel (through a change of use).

Now a PI has allowed the application, that would be pretty simple (in planning terms) to achieve.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Thanks, assumed it would be. So they must have permission to remove some old trees which I actually thought would be the hardest part of the application to get approved.
Yep, agree. The access is going to be a nightmare.
1699367697988.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I presume the design will be approved/has been approved in a manner that is consistent with the Council's previous decision when they turned down the application by the club to build a hotel on site on the grounds that it was "architecturally inappropriate" and "related poorly to the adjoining stadium"???
Lewes approved this plan - B&H turned down the hotel.

I'm not overly bothered by the approval other than it shows the hypocrisy of LDC. The students living there are going to have sooooooo much fun on match days :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here