Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber Absolutely Seething

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I rather like my FIZZY drink ... well ..... FIZZY ... and I drink it through out the match so need a bottle top on it. It's a pathetic policy regardless of other grounds and venues doing it. I'll continue to smuggle in bottle caps and PB can do not a thing about it.

And I'm guessing you're not one of the morons that would lob a bottle of fizz onto the pitch which has been seen happening more and more.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Aside from not being able to take my flask in, my biggest problem with the policy is how it flies in the face of the clubs supposed environmental policies. It encourages throwing away more plastic (who is going to reuse a pop bottle without a lid?), and those that don't want to be forced to buy drinks in place of their flask were told they could get a cup of water for free, but this means more throw away plastic cups.

So I suspect, the simple answer from the club's point of view to the attached lids, will simply be to pour all drinks into more throwaway plastic cups. Further increasing the waste of plastics.

EDIT to add reminscence: I remember some years at the goldstone being them pouring coke out of those big bottles into cups. Am I misremembering that?

Why does not having a bottle top prevent the bottle being recycled?

extract from https://www.bpf.co.uk/Sustainabilit... plastic is collected,be used in new products.

Once the plastic is collected and sent to a recycling centre, it is typically separated into different polymer types, which are then separately shredded (and impurities like paper are removed), then melted back into polymer pellets. These pellets are then sold on to be used in new products.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why does not having a bottle top prevent the bottle being recycled?

extract from https://www.bpf.co.uk/Sustainabilit... plastic is collected,be used in new products.

Once the plastic is collected and sent to a recycling centre, it is typically separated into different polymer types, which are then separately shredded (and impurities like paper are removed), then melted back into polymer pellets. These pellets are then sold on to be used in new products.

I didn't say it prevents it being recycled, I said it reduces the chances of it being re-used. Yeah, you can recycle them, but an aim is to reduce single use plastics. Removing the lids makes it go from being a re-usable bottle to a single use one. There's also the question of how much of the plastic sent for recycling actually gets recycled. https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/plastic-recycling-export-incineration/

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If your answer is 'well, it's what most/large number of fans think/what keeps getting brought up, isn't it?' Well, yeah. And one of those things that fulfill that criteria are bottle tops and flasks. Might not be a priority for you, but it clearly is for a lot of other people

Well who knows . It matters to some on NSC obviously. Doubt you’d make a lot of progress but sure I get it.
I’d Get club to do something practical instead of change policy (which is unlikely)

Install free water fountains.
Keep price of hot drinks lower than (beer etc) to compensate for no flasks etc
More non beer choices around ground … another coffee cart etc ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Pathetic really, just take a bottle off a steward- who are still allowed lids ! or throw a old phone , banning flasks and bottle caps is just too far gone , instal better cameras in the first 20 rows to catch offenders.
Pens , chargers , power banks are ALL weapons if thrown

Yes it is ridiculous.

A reasonable excuse (I've heard) for not allowing lids is that in the event of a stadium evacuation a discarded bottle with lid off is better than lid on if stepped on.

.. but they don't do that on the London Underground or ban flasks either.

The football industry really needs to grow up.

el punal

We’re getting pretty good at football and merchandising but absolutely useless at looking after our fans and giving them what they want. A bit like the government being out of touch with what people are really experiencing and thinking.

What do you mean about being “absolutely useless at looking after our fans and giving them what they want”?

When I go to watch a game what I want are the simple things in life - a decent game preferably with a win, a pint or two before/after the game, somewhere to have a piss. I tend to get all of those at every match I attend (sometimes not always the decent game and result!)

So going back to your “useless” comment, aren’t some of us being a bit precious about how the fans are being looked after? I go to watch a game of football. I’m not interested in bottle tops on or off, or flasks. If you’re thirsty go to the bar and have a Coke or a cup of water - you don’t have to take them to your seat. It’s not that difficult.

What else should the club provide for our long suffering fans - tartan blankets, a pedicure, spa treatment . . . . ? :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m thinking of wearing flippers or wellies to the Amex, there seems to be a mini waterfall most weeks coming down from the seats behind me. Maybe I should take a few bottle tops and offer them to the clumsy t**s that sit behind me. :rant:

Are you sure that’s spilled drinks?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And I'm guessing you're not one of the morons that would lob a bottle of fizz onto the pitch which has been seen happening more and more.

Strangely, I'm not - when I've paid such an over inflated price for the fizz I'd rather drink it. Besides, my girl like throw wouldn't get the bottle to the pitch from row U of WSU !

It really is a solution to an almost non-existent problem - and a solution that people can easily get around.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Strangely, I'm not - when I've paid such an over inflated price for the fizz I'd rather drink it. Besides, my girl like throw wouldn't get the bottle to the pitch from row U of WSU !

It really is a solution to an almost non-existent problem - and a solution that people can easily get around.

lol.

You might not reach the pitch but you might hit some poor sods in row H!!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
What do you mean about being “absolutely useless at looking after our fans and giving them what they want”?

When I go to watch a game what I want are the simple things in life - a decent game preferably with a win, a pint or two before/after the game, somewhere to have a piss. I tend to get all of those at every match I attend (sometimes not always the decent game and result!)

So going back to your “useless” comment, aren’t some of us being a bit precious about how the fans are being looked after? I go to watch a game of football. I’m not interested in bottle tops on or off, or flasks. If you’re thirsty go to the bar and have a Coke or a cup of water - you don’t have to take them to your seat. It’s not that difficult.

What else should the club provide for our long suffering fans - tartan blankets, a pedicure, spa treatment . . . . ? :shrug:

Maybe one for the fans forum?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/a-blowjob-cafe-staffed-by_b_13373700/amp

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didn't say it prevents it being recycled, I said it reduces the chances of it being re-used. Yeah, you can recycle them, but an aim is to reduce single use plastics. Removing the lids makes it go from being a re-usable bottle to a single use one. There's also the question of how much of the plastic sent for recycling actually gets recycled. https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/plastic-recycling-export-incineration/

Even with the bottle lid, I'm pretty certain they don't just give the bottle a clean and reuse it like they probably used to do with glass.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Anyone remember at spurs we couldn't take in our own water bottles at all? I wouldn't be surprised if barber is going to do that soon, then eventually no food either then the club makes more money from the kiosks as we aren't allowed our own food and drink anymore. That's what I mean
Dont like mayo which is on everything, so when Catterick races said i couldnt take my own food in , i told them it was for medical reasons , and they let me take it in

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We’re getting pretty good at football and merchandising but absolutely useless at looking after our fans and giving them what they want. A bit like the government being out of touch with what people are really experiencing and thinking.

We must be going to different grounds then. The matchday experience at the Amex is infinitely better than what we had at The Goldstone, Withdean and most definitely Priestfield.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Even with the bottle lid, I'm pretty certain they don't just give the bottle a clean and reuse it like they probably used to do with glass.

Who are the 'they' in this? The club? No of course not. I'm not suggesting leaving lids on makes the club re-use them, but some customers. If your 'they' is the customer, then I disagree. Yes, there will always be some who throw them away, but there are plenty of people out there who like to reuse the pop bottles - convenient to put squash or water in when popping out to the park, somewhere there isn't a convenient shop etc. They can't do that if the club doesn't let them have the tops, so they are more inclined to throw it away.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where? I didn't know there was any

The ones I've seen - and I don't know if they are the only ones or not - are by the ladies' toilets and the sweet stall in the middle of the concourse, just to the right (facing the pitch) of the entrance to Block G.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here